Daviess County Panther Classic

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like that is what happened.

The reason for why the coach called the game to an end was because after the goalie got the red Scott had no subs to put in, and they did not have a goal keeper and was forced to throw a field player in. Scott's coach walked over to the apposing teams coach and asked for his approval on ending the game. 5 starts for Scott's varsity team was playing their 4th game of the day and without much of a break. Then no subs to throw in with the ref giving out a ridiculous cards. This game meant absolutely nothing to Scott, I think the coach was fine in doing what he did with the other coaches approval. but i know everyone has been waiting for a new reason to belittle the Scott program for a while now.

That doesn't sound like it could be right. How do you get 5 starters playing 4 games in a day? Please tell me that the tournament didn't have a JV division as well with teams that have to use mixed rosters playing kids for that much time. No tournament would be structured that way and/or no coach would put players at risk like that... right?

The reason for why the coach called the game to an end was because after the goalie got the red Scott had no subs to put in, and they did not have a goal keeper and was forced to throw a field player in. Scott's coach walked over to the apposing teams coach and asked for his approval on ending the game. 5 starts for Scott's varsity team was playing their 4th game of the day and without much of a break. Then no subs to throw in with the ref giving out a ridiculous cards. This game meant absolutely nothing to Scott, I think the coach was fine in doing what he did with the other coaches approval. but i know everyone has been waiting for a new reason to belittle the Scott program for a while now.

So you play the game with who you have and go home at 10-0. None of the above is reason to just walk off the field and quit. Don't schedule the games if you aren't prepared to play them and don't bring only 1 keeper to a game if you can't play without them.

No one is belittling Scott like I think you want to believe. I think everyone would be asking the same question no matter what team did this. Soccer teams up and leaving a game is unheard of and is never looked well upon by the governing body. In this instance the khsaa.

Stepover.... I do not understand how this could be their fourth match of the day, can you explain this? If it actually was the case, that is on the coach, I would also say it would be a safety issue in my book.

You cannot go into an event like this and think you will be OK with only a couple subs. Where was the JV goalie? Was he not with the team? Either way, if you have enough people to legally play the match... you play it out... you don't quit. I am not sure how you explain throwing in the towel to a bunch of young men, not a good message in my opinion. If you must play shorthanded and take a beating than that is what you do, short of worrying about a kids well-being, you don't just walk off the field.

I would have the same question for any coach/program, this is not being asked because it is Scott. If this happened at our school, I would be asking the coach these sort of questions directly.

The reason for why the coach called the game to an end was because after the goalie got the red Scott had no subs to put in, and they did not have a goal keeper and was forced to throw a field player in.

This game meant absolutely nothing to Scott

1. Scott keeper receive a red card, coach did not think to bring a back up keeper.

2. This game meant absolutely nothing to Scott.

What is the big deal, two perfectly fine reasons to call a game. (sarcasm)

I do not know the khsaa rules, but I would be surprised if the rules state it is up to any coach to "call the game".

Unfortunately I don't have time right now to get into everything. I will try to dig back into this later. I did want to address a couple things. While I appreciate stepovers love for the Eagles a few of their statements are incorrect. The score ended 7 to 0. There was only about 5 minutes left to play we really don't know the exact time as no clock was viewable and the AR would not respond when asked. I personally would have finished it out but I was not in the conversation that the two coaches had together prior to the decision being made. Unfortunately player safety was an issue. It is a real shame when a few players verbally threaten physical harm to a player on the opposing team especially when the team making the threats is winning 4 to 0 at the time. I do not believe any NKY team would do this. Baring this, Oldham County is a quality team and there is not a scenario where I think the Eagle's would have come out ahead of this one with the overall talent level we are at this year.

Stepover.... I do not understand how this could be their fourth match of the day, can you explain this? If it actually was the case, that is on the coach, I would also say it would be a safety issue in my book.

You cannot go into an event like this and think you will be OK with only a couple subs.

Scott signed a 3 year contract for this tournament and this will be the 2nd year. Scott brought there whole JV and varsity roster to these matches and unfortunately for Scott to have a JV and Varsity team about 4 or 5 players that play significant varsity time have to play JV as well. CCH has about as many players on their varsity squad as Scott has in their whole program.

One other point, from someone not there and just reading these.

Someone mentioned KHSAA sanctions especially after "last year." IMHO, from what I have heard this year, this isn't the same team with the same "issues" from last year. Up to this point, we have actually had examples to the contrary.

So I don't think you can apply sanctions along those lines, unless it is specifically towards the coach.....again, IMHO. I wouldn't have quit either, though.

This year is tough for the Eagles.....their success and some of their play last year has placed a target on them......Hang in there.....

One other point, from someone not there and just reading these.

Someone mentioned KHSAA sanctions especially after "last year." IMHO, from what I have heard this year, this isn't the same team with the same "issues" from last year. Up to this point, we have actually had examples to the contrary.

So I don't think you can apply sanctions along those lines, unless it is specifically towards the coach.....again, IMHO. I wouldn't have quit either, though.

This year is tough for the Eagles.....their success and some of their play last year has placed a target on them......Hang in there.....

Agree with this. Whatever people want to believe of the Scott team of last year all evidence this year is that this is not the same team. A red card for a goal scoring opportunity is not the same as was prevelant last year.

If khsaa wants to impose sanctions for "quitting" the game then fine but look at them as their own incident. They have little if anything to do with last year.

Scott signed a 3 year contract for this tournament and this will be the 2nd year. Scott brought there whole JV and varsity roster to these matches and unfortunately for Scott to have a JV and Varsity team about 4 or 5 players that play significant varsity time have to play JV as well. CCH has about as many players on their varsity squad as Scott has in their whole program.

Sorry, I am still missing something. Why are you saying that some boys had to play 4 matches?

If the entire JV roster was also there, why did they not have another goalie?

A lot of confusion, did Scott play in both the JV and Varsity tournament?

Did to many of their players play in both the JV and Varsity tournament.

Do they not have enough players to legitimately form a JV and Varsity team?

Does this program only have one keeper?

Having even one player being forced to play 4 HS games in one day is an unhealthy mistake and would seem to be a possible liability issue on Scott's part.

Someone posted,

"CCH has about as many players on their varsity squad as Scott has in their whole program."

I've heard CCH has 27 players on varsity, does Scott only have approximately this same number in the whole program? Sad.

With a school attendance at what, close to 900 students, do some of these issue possibly explain why this program struggles to attract students to participate in their soccer program?