May 24, 200620 yr I posted this here because I'm not sure where else it would go. If inappropriate, please do as you like Mods':thumb: Contained within the article about new football playoffs was a blip about Lex Cath appearing before the board concerning the item below: Lexington Catholic was fined $30,000 and put on probation by the KHSAA last year for violating rules dealing with financial aid. Principal Sally Stevens told the board that Lexington Catholic is doing everything it can to "enhance a culture of compliance."[/I] You know, it would be nice if they just said "We're going to make sure that all rules are followed to the letter" This official statement is like some mumbo jumbo a lawyer would have a client repeat verbatim. It's sickening to me how HS is turning into the same krapola as college. I would be embarrassed to read that out loud in front of people - it's nonsense .... "enhance a culture of compliance" What a pitiful take for leaders of young people IMO. Woody Jr
May 25, 200620 yr I heard she was challenged about how the fine was paid, because there was word a booster sent LC a healthy check to pay for expenses. Also, she was asked about a letter circulating about an "unfair punishment" that was given to the boosters. She didn't answer the questions.
May 25, 200620 yr I posted this here because I'm not sure where else it would go. If inappropriate, please do as you like Mods':thumb: Contained within the article about new football playoffs was a blip about Lex Cath appearing before the board concerning the item below: Lexington Catholic was fined $30,000 and put on probation by the KHSAA last year for violating rules dealing with financial aid. Principal Sally Stevens told the board that Lexington Catholic is doing everything it can to "enhance a culture of compliance."[/I] You know, it would be nice if they just said "We're going to make sure that all rules are followed to the letter" This official statement is like some mumbo jumbo a lawyer would have a client repeat verbatim. It's sickening to me how HS is turning into the same krapola as college. I would be embarrassed to read that out loud in front of people - it's nonsense .... "enhance a culture of compliance" What a pitiful take for leaders of young people IMO. Woody Jr As an OSU man, you would qualify as an expert on this kind of "krapola".:sssh:
May 25, 200620 yr I heard she was challenged about how the fine was paid, because there was word a booster sent LC a healthy check to pay for expenses. Also, she was asked about a letter circulating about an "unfair punishment" that was given to the boosters. She didn't answer the questions. To my knowledge, there were no stipulations on how the fine would be paid. She could have passed the hat and collected the $30,000.00 fairly quickly. Again, students involved were already enrolled at LexCath. The only people with a legitimate complaint would be those who currently attend LexCath and didn;t receive the same offer. If they had been middle schoolers, then the public at large would have a gripe.
May 25, 200620 yr The public has a gripe, regardless of the circumstances. The administration at Lexington Catholic, if I remember correctly, dipped into a fund to cover tuition costs for students whose families couldn't or wouldn't make their tuition payments on time ... a good portion of them were athletes. How many prospective students would have attended Lexington Catholic if they had known there was an opportunity for that to happen? Some families, knowing that the tuition payments could be a financial burden, surely chose to send their kids elsewhere. And how fair is it to some families who are busting their financial butts to pay the tuition for their kids?
May 25, 200620 yr Author As an OSU man, you would qualify as an expert on this kind of "krapola".:sssh: Coming from pebbleville I'm sure you're well versed in terms like "culture of compliance":laugh: I'd say OSU is more the type to say "OK whats the penalty, Ive got to get back to practice/recruiting/etc. Why do you think we're called "the Bucks" ;) Go Bucks, Woody Jr
May 25, 200620 yr Money cant be raised or money can not be earmarked for the sole purpose of paying the fine. Evidently, this has happened. Obviously the principal is pleading ignorance. True all students were enrolled at LC. How they got there and on the premise in which they were aided is the imbalance.
May 25, 200620 yr Well, I guess I will, again, swim against the tide of popular opinion. I find the quote attributed to Principal Stevens to be quite appropriate. In such situations it isn't wise to give answers that can and will be interpreted by your critics as guarantees. In this age of selective comment (ie: spin), one must be careful to avoid giving ammunition to those who seek to cause you harm. I must conclude that Principal Stevens and the other "decision makers" at Lexington Catholic are far from being fools. Good for them. As for the "30,000 pieces of silver", I would be of the opinion that it is no one's business as to the source of the funds. KHSAA apparently got its money and, since I feel quite sure that any checks cleared the bank, that should be the end of it. I also feel sure we can assume that there were no public tax dollars in the mix. I realize that we have a goodly number of posters who seem to delight in seeing Lexington Catholic punished. I have absolutely no ties to the school other than by my overall support of all private schools. Nonetheless, I would feel certain that, in becoming the premier secondary school athletic program in the Commonwealth, Lexington Catholic has committed no more perceived "sins" than have most of our "better known" public schools.
May 25, 200620 yr Money cant be raised or money can not be earmarked for the sole purpose of paying the fine. Evidently, this has happened. Obviously the principal is pleading ignorance. True all students were enrolled at LC. How they got there and on the premise in which they were aided is the imbalance. Please provide some, any back-up for the charges you make.
May 25, 200620 yr I'd say OSU is more the type to say "OK whats the penalty, Ive got to get back to practice/recruiting/etc. Is that new slang for more cheating???
May 25, 200620 yr I heard she was challenged about how the fine was paid, because there was word a booster sent LC a healthy check to pay for expenses. Also, she was asked about a letter circulating about an "unfair punishment" that was given to the boosters. She didn't answer the questions. LABS, I asked a BOC member and she did in fact answer the questions. You may have bad scoop.
May 26, 200620 yr The public has a gripe, regardless of the circumstances. The administration at Lexington Catholic, if I remember correctly, dipped into a fund to cover tuition costs for students whose families couldn't or wouldn't make their tuition payments on time ... a good portion of them were athletes. How many prospective students would have attended Lexington Catholic if they had known there was an opportunity for that to happen? Some families, knowing that the tuition payments could be a financial burden, surely chose to send their kids elsewhere. And how fair is it to some families who are busting their financial butts to pay the tuition for their kids? The fund was a school scholarship and only ONE of the eight that recived money was an athlete. The problem was that the fund was not advertised to the entire student body before being given out.
May 26, 200620 yr Something tells me the KHSAA wouldn't have been very happy with the arrangement, even if it was advertised. I'm not sure the other students' families would be thrilled, either. For Lexington Catholic, I suspect, the real problem was that someone found out about it.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.