Best holiday tournament in ky this year

King of the Bluegrass is the best. No contest. National field. Even in a down year, it's better than anything anyone else is doing.

There were some years where the Lexington Catholic tournament was right there, but I think it has been a little less consistent lately.

Also, the LIT (though not a holiday tournament) used to be right there at the top, but to me it has really dropped in appeal with it's new format (no longer a state-wide tournament).

I think currently the KOB sits alone at the top.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were some years where the Lexington Catholic tournament was right there, but I think it has been a little less consistent lately.

Also, the LIT (though not a holiday tournament) used to be right there at the top, but to me it has really dropped in appeal with it's new format (no longer a state-wide tournament).

I think currently the KOB sits alone at the top.

I think the LexCath tourney last year was the best tourney last season but overall the KOB is usually the class of the state.

Marshall County Hoopfest is the best if you consider out of state teams, as well. The one at North Laurel will be solid. Lexington Catholic tournament will be really good.

Hoopfest does deserve consideration, but the main attraction is the out of state teams. No offense to the instate programs that play there, but it is sort of like they are the opening act and the main gate draw is the out of state programs, some of which happen to be prep schools (perhaps not?). I confess on not knowing the details, but is it actually a tournament where a champion is determined via brackets or is it more of a showcase of games? It is a great event, I just do not think it is an apples to apples comparison to what the KOB or Republic Bank Classic deliver in terms of top tier KY high school teams competing for a mid year championship in a holiday event.

For a small holiday tournament, the Best In Hoops Classic at Oldham County has been really competitive the past couple of years with another good group coming this year from what I hear. Some of the teams from the past are Owensboro, Eastern, St X, Male, Manual, Fern Creek, Lou Central, and Simon Kenton.

I think the LexCath tourney last year was the best tourney last season but overall the KOB is usually the class of the state.

I went 2 days last year, and it was a very good event. Henderson beating Trinity was probably the biggest surprise in the state (a lot of people didn't think anyone from KY could beat Trinity at that point in the season).

I think what holds the LexCath tournament down a little for me is the fact that there are usually several teams I don't care about seeing that are playing.

If I make a trip to the KOB I expect I will get to see 4 games that all interest me at least to some degree (3 games for sure) without anything taking up my time between them.

At the LexCath tournament (which is still the 5/3 in my head) there are typically games that I don't care at all about which are sandwiched between the ones I want to see. It is much harder to find a 3-4 game stretch (especially earlier in the tournament) that I am really excited about.

With that said, it is still a great tournament that I attend almost every year, but the KOB stands at the top.

For a small holiday tournament, the Best In Hoops Classic at Oldham County has been really competitive the past couple of years with another good group coming this year from what I hear. Some of the teams from the past are Owensboro, Eastern, St X, Male, Manual, Fern Creek, Lou Central, and Simon Kenton.

Who is coming this year?