American Pharoah to Travers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love summer at Saratoga.

As great as the Triple Crown is and as loaded as the Breeders' Cup always is, there's just something about sitting in late summer and seeing Saratoga and Del Mar results in the Racing Form. Before I die, I will see live racing at those two tracks.

I love summer at Saratoga.

As great as the Triple Crown is and as loaded as the Breeders' Cup always is, there's just something about sitting in late summer and seeing Saratoga and Del Mar results in the Racing Form. Before I die, I will see live racing at those two tracks.

I have not made the trek to Saratoga yet, but Del Mar is where "the surf meets the turf". The Bing Crosby music playing in the back round, the Mariachi bands performing in the infield with Margarita stands a plenty! It's worth the trip.

Spent a week at Saratoga in the early 90's. Wonderful experience. Really enjoyed how close the crowd was able to get to the horses and jockeys as they walked thru. Didn't hurt that you were allowed to bring in coolers and grills either. Not sure if that's still permitted.

1 Upstart (NY) 3/R L I Ortiz, Jr. 126 R A Violette, Jr. 15/1

2 American Pharoah (KY) 3/C L V Espinoza 126 B Baffert 1/5

3 Mid Ocean (KY) 3/G L M Franco 126 G Weaver 50/1

4 Texas Red (KY) 3/C L K J Desormeaux 126 J K Desormeaux 8/1

5 Frammento (KY) 3/C L J L Ortiz 126 N P Zito 30/1

6 Frosted (KY) 3/C L J Rosario 126 K P McLaughlin 6/1

7 Keen Ice (KY) 3/C L J Castellano 126 D L Romans 12/1

8 Tale of Verve (KY) 3/C L G L Stevens 126 D Stewart 30/1

9 King of New York (KY) 3/C L J R Leparoux 126 K G McPeek 50/1

10 Smart Transition (KY) 3/C L J R Velazquez 126 J A Shirreffs 20

Too much racing and too much travel for AP. This is what did him in. Baffert did not want to run him in the Travers but got overruled by the Zayats. He ran a gutty race though. Louisville-based trainer of Keen Ice, Dale Romans, has to be happy tonight. The total purse was $1.6 million, I believe.