Johnson Central to Play Oscar Smith (VA)

ATLCat

Good game for JC but don't be fooled by the "hype" videos on youtube. Ohio football is on another level and all national rankings seem to recognize Cincy X and how loaded they are, whereas Oscar Smith is nowhere to be found.

It always seems to come back to this.

"Eastern Kentucky football isn't as good as Northern Kentucky football."

How do you fix it?

"Schedule someone good."

Eastern Kentucky team schedules someone good.

"That team isn't as good as the teams we play."

But they have Division I players and have won multiple championships in big class football in Virginia. They play in an area college coaches sprint to when recruiting.

"Yeah, don't believe those hype videos on Youtube."

It's never good enough.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetically let's say JC has a pretty rough time and gets blown out, how's this help them? There is no other team in 4A that compares to this team.

My philosophy is, If you want to be the best, you need to play the best. Even if they do get beat down, they know that the team is on another level than they are. I don't believe in moral victories, however if they hold their own and score on them, the confidence that will be gained will go a long way. Watching film will be another big advantage to playing someone of their caliber. JMHO

My philosophy is, If you want to be the best, you need to play the best. Even if they do get beat down, they know that the team is on another level than they are. I don't believe in moral victories, however if they hold their own and score on them, the confidence that will be gained will go a long way. Watching film will be another big advantage to playing someone of their caliber. JMHO

If they get blown out, its no different then JC blowing out Heath, you don't really get better. If JC can keep it within two touchdowns then yes, it'd be beneficial.

Spending a weekend game-planning, a week preparing, the game played at speed, and the grading of the film will provide the value. The score is irrelevant to all of the above.

So who does JC apply that to?

Harlan Co.? Do they have team speed like Oscar Smith? No

Rowan?East Carter? Boyd? Greenup? Ashland Blazer has Baker? But they should steam roll them.

Belfry will sit there guys out before playoffs. So what does JC really get out of this game if they don't keep it close?

Where did anything in my post say Cincy X. I was referring to St. X out of KY. Be careful before you acuse people of not knowing things and jump to conclusions.

Thank you for the insight on Oscar Smith however.

Covcath doesn't play Lville St X...they play Cincy X. So when you mentioned St X, I much like most others probably, assumed that's who you were referring to since it was Covcath's non district schedule that was being discussed. :thumb:

^^^^^ South Warren and John Hardin athleticism can compare with Oscar Smith. Maybe not at the level, but close. Fast, quick athletic kids.

So how many of those Hardin kids are 3 stars or better? It's easy to make the conjecture when they don't play each other.

Covcath doesn't play Lville St X...they play Cincy X. So when you mentioned St X, I much like most others probably, assumed that's who you were referring to since it was Covcath's non district schedule that was being discussed. :thumb:

Yes I understand where the confusion is. A previous post was in refernce to CCH's non-district schedule and I should have been clear to which ST. X I was reffering to (I was thinking about Lousivlle St. X when I replied to the post not realizing the OP was discussing the CCH non-district schedule as they simply put St. X in their post (I did mention I would route for the KY team if they played - hence some indiciation it wasnt Cincy X I was reffering too). However, you went out of your way to post quote me, highight it and open your post with "You must not know much....". If you would have thought about the post you replied to, you might have seen there was some confusion and could have opened with something else. Unlike "most others" who may have thought the same thing, you took it upon yourself to let me know where I stand rather than address the true spirit of my reply (which could have been deduced as Louisville St. X. as one post seemed to figure out). Or you could have simply stated your knowledge of Cincy X and left it at that.

The line you took was unecessary IMO.

Edited by 15th Region

So who does JC apply that to?

Harlan Co.? Do they have team speed like Oscar Smith? No

Rowan?East Carter? Boyd? Greenup? Ashland Blazer has Baker? But they should steam roll them.

Belfry will sit there guys out before playoffs. So what does JC really get out of this game if they don't keep it close?

You must not be a coach. You asked the question and I answered it from a coaches perspective for you.

You must not be a coach. You asked the question and I answered it from a coaches perspective for you.

JC would beat those teams handily without playing Oscar Smith correct? Like I stated, if JC plays them within 2 TDs, then it was worthwhile. If they get blown out...how do you apply a blowout, to those games? "Yeah you see how that WR blew by you? You won't have to worry about anyone that fast the rest of the year..." Its a long time between Week 3 and Week 15, if you're not playing Oscar Smith again, you're not gonna learn anything from the first game. Take for Example the Paintsville/Pikeville games last year, early in the season Paintsville gets smoked, have film and they can prep differently that week for how they're gonna play Pikeville. How is Oscar Smith film gonna help Johnson Central come playoff time?

JC would beat those teams handily without playing Oscar Smith correct? Like I stated, if JC plays them within 2 TDs, then it was worthwhile. If they get blown out...how do you apply a blowout, to those games? "Yeah you see how that WR blew by you? You won't have to worry about anyone that fast the rest of the year..." Its a long time between Week 3 and Week 15, if you're not playing Oscar Smith again, you're not gonna learn anything from the first game. Take for Example the Paintsville/Pikeville games last year, early in the season Paintsville gets smoked, have film and they can prep differently that week for how they're gonna play Pikeville. How is Oscar Smith film gonna help Johnson Central come playoff time?

Not following you on this whatsoever.

As for the bolded..

Johnson Central will not have to face anyone as fast or athletic as this team.... TRUE. But when the three most likely teams you would have to face in BOwling Green are all three teams who rely on athleticism and speed as their primary weapon (South Warren, John Hardin, Collins).. and noone else on your schedule can match the speed and athletes of those three teams... is it not very beneficial to have a baseline of what to expect when you are playing guys faster than you?

If Oscar Smith has a guy running a 4.45 at WR and John Hardin has a guy who runs a 4.55.... but noone else JC plays has a guy who runs a 4.6.. would it not be more beneficial to experience game reps vs. the 4.45 guy as opposed to a 4.65 guy from Prestonsburg?

Even if Oscar Smith runs them off he field and plays their Second String for an entire Half I would argue their second string would probably be a better prep game than scheduling some crappy D-5 team from Ohio with their biggest linemen weighing 200 pounds. With a program like Oscar Smith those Sophomores are D-1 guys just waiting their turn.

For the record I expect Johnson Central to equate themselves as very competitive. Don't think they win..don't think they hang within 3 TD's...but they will compete at the LOS and have their fair share of plays where they stop the OS offense. I just think big plays and great individual plays will distance this game.

A. No, not correct, Johnson Central would not automatically win 3rd, 4th and 5th round playoff games automatically.

B. You see how that WR blew by us? We need to either get a different kid in the game in that situation or maybe we can play a different coverage. Maybe we can employ a defense where we have to defend the pass with 2 safetys and still play well vs the run with only 7 in the box instead of 8 or 9.

C. See how they stopped our running game schematically with number advantage? Maybe we need to throw more play action. Maybe we need to develop a playmaker at WR instead of splitting a te out on 3rd and 10.

I'm glad your coach has moved beyond your backward thinking. I'm hoping it leads to advancements in your program.

I have answered your question several times now. Just because you don't like it and you want to play the little sisters of the poor doesn't mean you can keep asking over and over and get the answer you want. You have been told why they are playing the game and what they will get out of it. Apparently not a lot of JC people are on your side or they are just tired of under achieving in November.