Johnson Central to Play Oscar Smith (VA)

ATLCat

The game will likely not be played. Oscar Smith requires a stipend of nearly 7K plus a 12K bus fee. This is not feasible for JC and might be a deal breaker in the contract. Will let you know more when / if the game gets finalized. This information is unconfirmed at this time and only hearsay.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not following you on this whatsoever.

As for the bolded..

Johnson Central will not have to face anyone as fast or athletic as this team.... TRUE. But when the three most likely teams you would have to face in BOwling Green are all three teams who rely on athleticism and speed as their primary weapon (South Warren, John Hardin, Collins).. and noone else on your schedule can match the speed and athletes of those three teams... is it not very beneficial to have a baseline of what to expect when you are playing guys faster than you?

If Oscar Smith has a guy running a 4.45 at WR and John Hardin has a guy who runs a 4.55.... but noone else JC plays has a guy who runs a 4.6.. would it not be more beneficial to experience game reps vs. the 4.45 guy as opposed to a 4.65 guy from Prestonsburg?

Even if Oscar Smith runs them off he field and plays their Second String for an entire Half I would argue their second string would probably be a better prep game than scheduling some crappy D-5 team from Ohio with their biggest linemen weighing 200 pounds. With a program like Oscar Smith those Sophomores are D-1 guys just waiting their turn.

For the record I expect Johnson Central to equate themselves as very competitive. Don't think they win..don't think they hang within 3 TD's...but they will compete at the LOS and have their fair share of plays where they stop the OS offense. I just think big plays and great individual plays will distance this game.

There's my point, (btw I respect you more than anyone else on this board) but you said they'll get probably there best look against their JV team? In a Varsity game...JC has no problem driving 8 hours for a game in VA, but can't drive to the other side of the state, or Central Ky?

There's my point, (btw I respect you more than anyone else on this board) but you said they'll get probably there best look against their JV team? In a Varsity game...JC has no problem driving 8 hours for a game in VA, but can't drive to the other side of the state, or Central Ky?

I did not say that.

I said their JV team would be a better game than playing some crappy team from Ohio which is true. Fact of the matter is I bet Oscar Smith's 2nd stringers would be just as good, if not better, as a Madison Central, Dunbar, GRC, etc... maybe even an equal to a Lafayette or Henry Clay.

With that said, playing the OS 1st Stringers is the real value here and the opportunity to push yourself. Look at a team like a Central, Belfry, or LexCath for example. They have scheduled teams that they have taken it on the chin to by 4 TD's or more (Ensworth, Bowling Green, St. Xavier, etc).. but those games prove valuable come the post season when you play a team that does something better than anyone else. In this case no matter what speed or big play potential JC may see from Bourbon County, South Warren, John Hardin, etc... they will have already seen someone better.

As for the last line JC is also playing Lexington Catholic from CKY

OSmith Schedule.JPG

The game is still listed on Oscar Smith’s schedule. Hopefully they will reconsider their additional demands after first asking just for transportation and aid in their lodgings when the contract was being hammered out. This game is great for the JC program and community. I agree 100% with ATLCat and Iam4thecats about the long term rewards from lining up against a team like Oscar Smith. No one has ever doubted the benefits over the years that Highlands has gained by playing Louisville Trinity or a GCL school in a scrimmage; same can be said of Lexington Catholic playing Ensworth a few years ago. The pros of playing a team of this magnitude by far outweigh the cons.

[ATTACH]51941[/ATTACH]

The game is still listed on Oscar Smith’s schedule. Hopefully they will reconsider their additional demands after first asking just for transportation and aid in their lodgings when the contract was being hammered out. This game is great for the JC program and community. I agree 100% with ATLCat and Iam4thecats about the long term rewards from lining up against a team like Oscar Smith. No one has ever doubted the benefits over the years that Highlands has gained by playing Louisville Trinity or a GCL school in a scrimmage; same can be said of Lexington Catholic playing Ensworth a few years ago. The pros of playing a team of this magnitude by far outweigh the cons.

Can you share some of what they were asking for after the fact?

If not we all can understand.

[ATTACH]51941[/ATTACH]

Completely agree with you on this one and I too hope they can get the game done (but its still not looking like it will happen). Perhaps if JC can get some outside sponsorships to help offset the cost demands (although they have already gotten some)

Edited by 15th Region

The game will likely not be played. Oscar Smith requires a stipend of nearly 7K plus a 12K bus fee. This is not feasible for JC and might be a deal breaker in the contract. Will let you know more when / if the game gets finalized. This information is unconfirmed at this time and only hearsay.

Read that yesterday from someone on VA Preps.

So how many of those Hardin kids are 3 stars or better? It's easy to make the conjecture when they don't play each other.

Again I mentioned " Maybe not at the level " of Oscar Smith, but what kills JC in the past is SPEED, SPEED and more Speed which JH and South Warren has a lot of.

... but what kills JC in the past is SPEED, SPEED and more Speed which JH and South Warren has a lot of.

I disagree. The thing that has killed JC in the past is the same thing that has killed every other team in their Class the previous 7 of 8 seasons, Highlands or CovCath. JC is ofer against Highlands but since the expansion to 6 classes the series has been a wash with CovCath with both teams winning 3 apiece. Even in defeat, most of those games were close (minus 2011's thrashing from Highlands) for well over a half but then the depth of 100 player rosters catches up with them in the 4th.

I disagree. The thing that has killed JC in the past is the same thing that has killed every other team in their Class the previous 7 of 8 seasons, Highlands or CovCath. JC is ofer against Highlands but since the expansion to 6 classes the series has been a wash with CovCath with both teams winning 3 apiece. Even in defeat, most of those games were close (minus 2011's thrashing from Highlands) for well over a half but then the depth of 100 player rosters catches up with them in the 4th.

To be fair, everybody else in the state of Kentucky, in every class, has been ofer against Highlands too.

I hope they get this game scheduled. Since it is on a Saturday, I would be able to see this one. xciting to have this kind of talent come to little ole Paintsville.

• 3 weeks later...