Johnson Central to Play Oscar Smith (VA)

ATLCat

It will be an interesting series. Honestly i hope JC rolls them over. From the sounds of things that will be tough, but I'll always root for the ky team in a series like this.

It would be nice to see a team from KY beat them, but more importantly this game will show JC what they need to improve on in order to complete a state championship run. Hats off to Matney for playing the big boys. Any chance this game will be televised?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be an interesting series. Honestly i hope JC rolls them over. From the sounds of things that will be tough, but I'll always root for the ky team in a series like this.

It would be nice to see a team from KY beat them, but more importantly this game will show JC what they need to improve on in order to complete a state championship run. Hats off to Matney for playing the big boys. Any chance this game will be televised?

It would be nice to see a team from KY beat them, but more importantly this game will show JC what they need to improve on in order to complete a state championship run. Hats off to Matney for playing the big boys. Any chance this game be televised?

Would think that might be tough logistically.

Would have to think this will be a Saturday game since the drive is so long. All the National Stations will be devoted to College Football during that Saturday. If they could find a way to play it Friday I think you might have at least had a shot..

Oscar Smith would be favored neutral, home, or away vs. all three of the above teams. Not to say those teams are not that good, but have you seen all the D1 from Oscar Smith, impressive to say the least.

Not sure about St X, they're supposed to be loaded this year. When you take into account all three teams mentioned I'd say CCH has it tougher.

Would think that might be tough logistically.

Would have to think this will be a Saturday game since the drive is so long. All the National Stations will be devoted to College Football during that Saturday. If they could find a way to play it Friday I think you might have at least had a shot..

Good point. Perhaps WYMT will pick it up if they do play it on a Friday (however unlikely that may be)

Serious question, how did Mattney get this team to play a home and home with JC when he claims Kentucky teams will not?

Had the same open week, called them up and asked to see if they would do a home and home. They agreed. Sure we would like to have a more localized rival but being a big school in a small pond (EKY) makes it extremely hard to find games in the area. It's not like he lured them in with a carrot on a stick and tricked them to come to JC. JC has done the same with Boyle County, Lexington Catholic, Belfry, etc. Most teams are only interested in 1 year deals at their place that reach out to JC or inquire about dates that have already booked. We prefer 2 year deals so we know how to budget expenses going forward to make things happen. Tough economic times in an impoverished community, to add in the fact that football money funds numerous other non-revenue sports, it's not like we have bundles of money coming in or can cut fat checks to always be on the road. This isn't the first time that JC has reached out to a top tier team either. Earlier this year JC reached out to Youngstown Cardinal Mooney but they weren't interested due to the travel distance, which is another item that JC deals with. A lot of the top tier teams in larger cities have other schools in their own backyard instead of traveling 2-3 hours for a non district game. A few years ago he had the RECC Bowl Committee reach out to Ensworth (TN) but they were only interested in a 1 year deal at their place. It can be done but a lot has to align. Some think that just because you throw a name out that it can happen but it is much more complex. (I can attest from first hand experience as I aided in the search to complete this year's schedule.) Now, teams are making schedules 3-4 years in advance or have diverse contract lengths (1,2,3,4 year deals) which also makes in difficult to find teams with common open dates or rotate weeks with 2 year opponents, ie 2015 Week 1/2016 Week 4. I am very excited about this game even if it may be lopsided. To put this game behind the Lexington Catholic game, JC may have one of the toughest 2 week stretches in the state. We should learn a lot about the team during this period because the players will face adversity and the most important thing is how they will react to those challenging moments. When we get punched in the mouth will we punch back or will we cower in the corner? As long as the players are able to remain relatively healthy going into week 4, we should have plenty of time to fix the holes before Ashland and the start of the playoffs.

Not sure about St X, they're supposed to be loaded this year. When you take into account all three teams mentioned I'd say CCH has it tougher.

With all three teams considered I would give a slight edge to CCH. When it comes to Oscar Smith vs. St. X I would still have to go with Oscar Smith in close one (and this is solely based on roster comparison as I have not seen Oscar Smith play). Regardless I would route for the KY team.

I have been a critic of the JC schedule. I have to give credit for this move though and the 2015 schedule as a whole now is the schedule of a program who wants to compete for a championship. I hope this continues in the future.

Coached against OS in VA for 12 years. Coach Morgan is a beast of a coach, he runs the whole show. They have not lost a district contest in 8 or 9 years. Good luck to JC, OS is down a little this year is the report I got from my old peeps in the 757.

With all three teams considered I would give a slight edge to CCH. When it comes to Oscar Smith vs. St. X I would still have to go with Oscar Smith in close one (and this is solely based on roster comparison as I have not seen Oscar Smith play). Regardless I would route for the KY team.

You must not know much about Cincy X this year....legit top 40 team nationally that features multiple D1 commits/prospects.

- Two 6'5 tight ends committed to Michigan St and Miami (OH)

- Junior QB committed to Penn St (3 or 4* depending on scouting service)

- 6'5 4* junior G with offers from Michigan St, Lville, UC, and Vandy, among others

Oscar Smith has a junior 3* dual threat qb with a VT offer and a senior lineman with an offer from James Madison but that's it in terms of D1 talent. I'm sure they have some nice athletes but this isn't last year's roster that featured the Josh Sweat kid.

Good game for JC but don't be fooled by the "hype" videos on youtube. Ohio football is on another level and all national rankings seem to recognize Cincy X and how loaded they are, whereas Oscar Smith is nowhere to be found.

You must not know much about Cincy X this year....legit top 40 team nationally that features multiple D1 commits/prospects.

- Two 6'5 tight ends committed to Michigan St and Miami (OH)

- Junior QB committed to Penn St (3 or 4* depending on scouting service)

- 6'5 4* junior G with offers from Michigan St, Lville, UC, and Vandy, among others

Oscar Smith has a junior 3* dual threat qb with a VT offer and a senior lineman with an offer from James Madison but that's it in terms of D1 talent. I'm sure they have some nice athletes but this isn't last year's roster that featured the Josh Sweat kid.

Good game for JC but don't be fooled by the "hype" videos on youtube. Ohio football is on another level and all national rankings seem to recognize Cincy X and how loaded they are, whereas Oscar Smith is nowhere to be found.

Where did anything in my post say Cincy X. I was referring to St. X out of KY. Be careful before you acuse people of not knowing things and jump to conclusions.

Thank you for the insight on Oscar Smith however.

Where did anything in my post say Cincy X. I was referring to St. X out of KY. Be careful before you acuse people of not knowing things and jump to conclusions.

Thank you for the insight on Oscar Smith however.

I think that's the confusion, CCH plays Cinti St. X, Scott Co and Lex Cath as 3 of it's non district games. They have a gauntlet to go through.