Home Run Derby to introduce new format

I think that I like the changes. Should quicken things up a little and it will be interesting to see if player's use different strategies because of the time (e.g. get as many swings in as possible vs. focus on crushing balls for the added time).

I like that it rewards extra long HRs. Seems like it would be more fun for the fans.

I say all that hoping I'm to busy to watch haha!

I think that I like the changes. Should quicken things up a little and it will be interesting to see if player's use different strategies because of the time (e.g. get as many swings in as possible vs. focus on crushing balls for the added time).

I like that it rewards extra long HRs. Seems like it would be more fun for the fans.

I say all that hoping I'm to busy to watch haha!

Same here.

Do you subscribe to the theory that HR derby participation can mess up a guy's swing for a while afterwards?

Same here.

Do you subscribe to the theory that HR derby participation can mess up a guy's swing for a while afterwards?

Guy like Frazier, definitely not.

But overall, I'd probably say no.

I don't often pay attention to batting practice, but I'd imagine a few times they try and hit bombs, while other times they adjust their swings to hit shots in the gap, down the line, or whatever. I feel like these guys can adjust their swings accordingly and the only way it affects them afterwards is mentally if they slip a little.

Same here.

I would say "Yes" for this new format. More swings in a shorter period of time could result in injury. The pitcher will be speeding up his delivery as well which could mean more bad pitches. With no outs counting against them, the batters will probably swing at everything. If I were a general manager, I would be saying "No" to my player's participation if my team were in a pennant race.

If I'm a competitor in this, I tell my pitcher that we aren't watching to see where the ball goes and oohing and aahing with the crowd. Just keep pitching and I'll keep swinging.

Now that I think of it, could potentially be dangerous for the fan. Everyone is watching the first HR, while I've already swung at another ball.

If Harper is healthy I'd expect him to be in it from the left side. Other than him not many guys stand out this year in terms of the HR leaders. Maybe Joc Pederson or Rizzo.

Teixeira, Pederson, Valbuena, and Harper are the only lefties in the top 12 in HRs, so yeah, there aren't many options.

If I'm a competitor in this' date=' I tell my pitcher that we aren't watching to see where the ball goes and oohing and aahing with the crowd. Just keep pitching and I'll keep swinging. Now that I think of it, could potentially be dangerous for the fan. Everyone is watching the first HR, while I've already swung at another ball.[/quote']

Why would you do that and wear yourself out? The clock remains stopped until you don't hit another HR.