Dead Period Question

The Diocese of Covington added a week to the dead period for the private schools in the Diocese. It started this week. Does this only apply to activities in their area of jurisdiction? Saw St. Henry participating in a team camp at Georgetown College. Is that a violation of the Diocese's dead period?

That would be a Diocese question. They may have gotten approval.

I do have a question tho that is a KHSAA dead period question, can we practice on the 9th? or is over at 11:59 pm on the 9th? and we have to wait until the 10th?

I do have a question tho that is a KHSAA dead period question, can we practice on the 9th? or is over at 11:59 pm on the 9th? and we have to wait until the 10th?

Here's the communication regarding dead period times....

A reminder that the Dead Period for ALL sports starts at 12:00:01 a.m. on June 25 and goes through 11:59:59 p.m. on July 9. There is to be no use of school facilities, team uniforms, transportation, coaches, personnel or anything related to the athletic program

To answer your question, you cannot practice until 12:00am on July 10th. No activity or contact is allowed at all on the 9th.

Also to clear up another issue I am dealing with.

The KHSAA dead period only involves High School Activities. It does not affect Middle School activities. (Now many school districts impose it for MS activities which is their prerogative.)

Dead Period

Does the High School Dead Period apply to middle school athletics?

No. The dead period is a High School rule. There is no statewide middle school rule related to the dead period, and the implementation of such a restriction would be a local level decision.

08/11/14 ? Middle School Frequently Asked Questions and Answers (updated) | Kentucky High School Athletic Association

The Diocese of Covington added a week to the dead period for the private schools in the Diocese. It started this week. Does this only apply to activities in their area of jurisdiction? Saw St. Henry participating in a team camp at Georgetown College. Is that a violation of the Diocese's dead period?

Diocesan dead period starts today.

The Diocese of Covington simply fills out the KHSAA Dead Period dates on both ends to run from 12:01am on a Monday through 11:59pm on a Sunday.

The KHSAA sticks with June 25th through July 9th regardless of what days those dates fall on.

A few football teams have a "Midnight Madness" type event on the flip of the calendar into the 10th.

They got approval from the Diocese.

The Diocese of Covington simply fills out the KHSAA Dead Period dates on both ends to run from 12:01am on a Monday through 11:59pm on a Sunday.

The KHSAA sticks with June 25th through July 9th regardless of what days those dates fall on.

Maybe I should send my kids to NewCath so I quit hearing the complaints about the KHSAA dates!

Although, that'll change to complaining about me working a 3rd job to pay for it. So never mind. I'd rather hear the complaints during vacation planning instead of the entire school year...

Maybe I should send my kids to NewCath so I quit hearing the complaints about the KHSAA dates!

Although, that'll change to complaining about me working a 3rd job to pay for it. So never mind. I'd rather hear the complaints during vacation planning instead of the entire school year...

I'm sure you could find a sponsor somewhere... :rolleyes: