June 24, 201511 yr I said it before (maybe this thread - can't remember): I think it's a myth that the country is significantly less racist than we were. It's just not overt. It's behind closed doors. It's in decisions made. It's amongst similar-thinking folks. Smile in your face and slap you on the back but behind your back....you're still lesser. I think I saw a study on this subject. Let me see if I can still find it. I think that generationally it is better now. I also think that it will be better when my kids generation is in control and even better when my grandkid's generation is in control. -The fact that it isn't as open and overt as it was 20-30 years ago is a step in the right direction, albeit a small step...#ThingsAreGettingBetter -I grew up when there were openly racially insensitive things said on Prime Time TV daily in the 70's, #ThingsAreGettingBetter -I remember hearing old people say the most racist things imaginable by today's standards in common conversation, most people won't stand for that today...#ThingsAreGettingBetter There will always be racist of every color, there will always be the hard-hearted without empathy for their fellow man, there will always be people trying to stir up conflicts and trying to drive out harmony between people of every color. But seeing the changes in how the kids of today look at race from how they looked at it in the past gives me hope that racism will be left to the most extreme on the fringes of human existence within a few more generations.
June 24, 201511 yr Kind of. Not in the same sense as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc but in a roundabout way BGP is similar to social media. Social media can be pretty depressing sometimes. Reading through the comments on some of these issues, depressing is too mild a word.
June 24, 201511 yr I used to think it would get better as the generations passed, but I fear what we have seen of late is worse. 30 years ago it was very clear who was on what side of the line, so there was very little confusion on where anyone stood on the issue. Now things are much more hidden and you never quite know where anyone stands any more. Well at least until the people you thought you knew continue to tell on themselves at every opportunity on social media...
June 24, 201511 yr I would like to say I'm surprised by the contents of this thread, but I would be lying.
June 24, 201511 yr I would like to say I'm surprised by the contents of this thread, but I would be lying. Long list of "tell on themselves" posts on the ol' BGP of late...
June 24, 201511 yr Hell Obama has a white mom so he ain't a true black so why he is using the word I just don't even know where to start. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
June 24, 201511 yr Just by the fact that older people are dying off and younger people are growing up tells me that we are much less racist as a country. When I was young if an inter-racial couple walked into a public place, they would get a lot of stares. Now it is to the point that most people don't even notice. Millenials are much less focused on race than people in their 70's and 80's. It was not that long ago in this country that blacks sat on the back of the bus, drank from a different water fountain, etc... This is all stuff that just seems preposterous to almost everyone now. Is the country perfect? Of course not. In a country of 300 million people, there will be a lot of every kind of person, including racists. However, to say the country is not moving forward is just not right IMO. We do however, have an entire industry that wants racism to be alive and well (Sharpton and company and much of the media). Again, good for business... I think that generationally it is better now. I also think that it will be better when my kids generation is in control and even better when my grandkid's generation is in control. -The fact that it isn't as open and overt as it was 20-30 years ago is a step in the right direction, albeit a small step...#ThingsAreGettingBetter -I grew up when there were openly racially insensitive things said on Prime Time TV daily in the 70's, #ThingsAreGettingBetter -I remember hearing old people say the most racist things imaginable by today's standards in common conversation, most people won't stand for that today...#ThingsAreGettingBetter There will always be racist of every color, there will always be the hard-hearted without empathy for their fellow man, there will always be people trying to stir up conflicts and trying to drive out harmony between people of every color. But seeing the changes in how the kids of today look at race from how they looked at it in the past gives me hope that racism will be left to the most extreme on the fringes of human existence within a few more generations. I wish I could share your optimism. I think things are worse now than in the 90s.
June 24, 201511 yr I wish I could share your optimism. I think things are worse now than in the 90s. Maybe. But I think that's just because we're exposed to things on such a grand scale at a rapid pace. You instantly know everyone's reaction to everything, rather than your smaller circle. Technology has been so great, but it's also allowed idiots the ability to interact with other idiots.. And the silent majority is outshined by the vocal minority. I see and hear less examples of blatant racism than I did growing up in the '90s. In my bubble, at least, things are better now than then. But I understand that we have very different experiences.
June 24, 201511 yr Long list of "tell on themselves" posts on the ol' BGP of late... Without a doubt. Disheartening.
June 24, 201511 yr Maybe. But I think that's just because we're exposed to things on such a grand scale at a rapid pace. You instantly know everyone's reaction to everything, rather than your smaller circle. Technology has been so great, but it's also allowed idiots the ability to interact with other idiots.. And the silent majority is outshined by the vocal minority. I see and hear less examples of blatant racism than I did growing up in the '90s. In my bubble, at least, things are better now than then. But I understand that we have very different experiences. That's the thing. It may not as blatant as it used to be yet it is still out there. I can take you the LEX-18 Facebook page where they talk about the confederate flag in one post and the Jefferson Davis statue in another and over half of the comments are over the top racist. When you look at it all these people are co-workers, receptionists, secretaries, food industry people, store clerks, truck drivers, car mechanics, etc. When you take into account people that keep their racist thoughts and comments to themselves...well.....then....There are so many people that I work with that I can't even bear to look at or be around anymore. Add in folks who make uncomfortable and insensitive status updates and not any of your 212 mutual friends call them out on it and that kind of makes you wonder also.
June 24, 201511 yr That's the thing. It may not as blatant as it used to be yet it is still out there. I can take you the LEX-18 Facebook page where they talk about the confederate flag in one post and the Jefferson Davis statue in another and over half of the comments are over the top racist. When you look at it all these people are co-workers, receptionists, secretaries, food industry people, store clerks, truck drivers, car mechanics, etc. When you take into account people that keep their racist thoughts and comments to themselves...well.....then.... Add in folks who make uncomfortable and insensitive status updates and not any of your 212 mutual friends call them out on it and that kind of makes you wonder also. I hear what you're saying, and I don't have any argument against anything you said. The lines are definitely more blurry now than they used to be. "I'm not a racist, but..." starts off way too many sentences. But at least in my circle, people do generally call them out on it. And I love seeing it. I love rational discussion... Actually making people think about what they're truly saying -- The core meaning of their words. But "Rational" is the word that's so often missing in these conversations, unfortunately. You can't disagree with someone's logic without it being taken as a personal attack... And then logic flies out the window. I'm sure racism will be alive and well in the US when we're dead and gone. But I'll just keep fighting one battle at a time and try to do my part to make a small dent.
June 24, 201511 yr I hear what you're saying, and I don't have any argument against anything you said. The lines are definitely more blurry now than they used to be. "I'm not a racist, but..." starts off way too many sentences. But at least in my circle, people do generally call them out on it. And I love seeing it. I love rational discussion... Actually making people think about what they're truly saying -- The core meaning of their words. But "Rational" is the word that's so often missing in these conversations, unfortunately. You can't disagree with someone's logic without it being taken as a personal attack... And then logic flies out the window. I'm sure racism will be alive and well in the US when we're dead and gone. But I'll just keep fighting one battle at a time and try to do my part to make a small dent. Same here. :thumb:
June 24, 201511 yr "I'm not a racist, but..." starts off way too many sentences. Funny you post that, I met a guy over the weekend who seemed like a good dude and the kind of person you'd one day let into your circle. 15 minutes into the conversation it comes up that his son is dating a black girl and then the above line comes out, followed by all of the reasons he doesn't want them together. 30 seconds later I found an opportunity to excuse myself as he had slipped comfortably into a cloak of his true colors. It has become the "no offense, but," line where you know what is coming after is not going to be good. I'm with the several of you that don't think things have improved all that much.
June 24, 201511 yr The comments in this thread by some leave me with little hope for society. Just sad.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.