Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who fills each open Coaching position?

Featured Replies

  • Author
Saw something on Twitter that said Shaka Smart was Texas target 1a with Marshall being 1b.

 

Would be a catastrophic mistake to hire Smart IMO. He will get exposed at a program like Texas in a conference like the Big 12. They want to be a program to join the elite, Marshall is the guy.

 

Avery Johnson is a VERY intriguing name. Not sure how he'd translate to the college game, but I could see him doing big things there.

 

Do not like Smart or Marshall for Texas. Would think Johnson or maybe even Mark Jackson would be great for that program

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rick Barnes to Tennessee is a really good pick. There's not many people that were honestly going to be available that are better than him.

 

It's nice to see that there are going to be a stable of good to great coaches in the SEC rather than the usual crop of hires.

Ben Howland and Rick Barnes both bring lots W's and some Final Four appearances with them. If Alabama brings in Marshall that would be a huge coup for them.

It looks Chris Mullin is going to take the St. John's job.

 

My only question regarding a guy like Mark Jackson or Avery Johnson is are they willing to/can they recruit??

It's not for everyone and they really have to be willing to put in the time and very rarely do NBA players in recent times go back to college and succeed. Kevin Ollie being the notable exception although year two up there was close to a disaster.

Alabama AD is in Wichita today meeting with Greg Marshall. Reports say Texas is more interested in hiring Smart instead of Marshall. Reports are that Alabama job would be in the area of 4 million per year.

It looks Chris Mullin is going to take the St. John's job.

 

My only question regarding a guy like Mark Jackson or Avery Johnson is are they willing to/can they recruit??

It's not for everyone and they really have to be willing to put in the time and very rarely do NBA players in recent times go back to college and succeed. Kevin Ollie being the notable exception although year two up there was close to a disaster.

 

I would think that having the NBA brand to your name is one of the easiest things about recruiting (if there is anything "easy" about recruiting).

 

If I've got NBA experience and want to start recruiting, I'd go into living rooms and say something like, "the other guys have coached players who went to the NBA... I coached guys in the NBA, so I can get you ready".

 

As for Avery Johnson, you should see what I wrote about the transfer/AAU deal here. Even if he wasn't personally involved, and there's no real indications that he was personally involved past his son, at least that I've read, then it's probably not going to be hard for him to find someone who was and/or someone with an AAU connection, something like that. Before graduating, his son played with three D1 prospects and a 5* running back in high school. None started at that school. He's probably either got some AAU ties or knows someone who does. His son and two of those kids (the last two being top 5 kids in Texas and nationally ranked) are all going to be at Texas A&M this year though, so that's a bit of an interesting dynamic for the Texas job if there is any legit interest.

 

I'm not really familiar with all the love for Shaka Smart and Texas right off. He doesn't seem to have any ties to the area, so short of trying to make a splash and a name hire, I'm not really sure what Texas is going for with him. I just say that because he was born in Wisconsin, and his collegiate jobs have been in Ohio and the DC area with some stints in the deep southeast mixed in.

 

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that there is not really an obvious connection that just jumps out at you past name recognition and potential.

One of my Texas guys told me today that he's heard Chris Mack name floated around for the opening.

 

My understanding is that Tennessee was the job he wanted and Rick Barnes getting that ended any chance he had at leaving X.

One of my Texas guys told me today that he's heard Chris Mack name floated around for the opening.

 

My understanding is that Tennessee was the job he wanted and Rick Barnes getting that ended any chance he had at leaving X.

 

 

That would really, really surprise me if that's how it worked out (Mack to Texas).

Alabama AD is in Wichita today meeting with Greg Marshall. Reports say Texas is more interested in hiring Smart instead of Marshall. Reports are that Alabama job would be in the area of 4 million per year.

 

One of my Texas guys told me today that he's heard Chris Mack name floated around for the opening.

 

My understanding is that Tennessee was the job he wanted and Rick Barnes getting that ended any chance he had at leaving X.

 

Dallas Morning News confirming what you'd said about Smart and Texas. Same for Texas and Chris Mack being mentioned together. It'd still surprise me to see Mack, but that's nothing more than speculation on my part.

 

Report: Shaka Smart talking with Texas about Longhorns? basketball coaching vacancy | Dallas Morning News

It looks Chris Mullin is going to take the St. John's job.

 

My only question regarding a guy like Mark Jackson or Avery Johnson is are they willing to/can they recruit??

It's not for everyone and they really have to be willing to put in the time and very rarely do NBA players in recent times go back to college and succeed. Kevin Ollie being the notable exception although year two up there was close to a disaster.

 

Chris Mullin has the same issue. The difference is the NBA experience that can be touted in recruiting. Mullin never coached and the recruits he will be after never saw him play. Johnson and Jackson bring the coaching and playing backgrounds.

 

Only time would tell with all of these guys transitioning to college. It worked for Hoiberg, not so much for Eddie Jordan. I have an affinity for the Johnnies- I hope it works well.

I'm sorry but I think Chris Mullin is a terrible hire.

I'm sorry but I think Chris Mullin is a terrible hire.

 

Says the guy that thought Tyndall to Tennessee was a great hire. :)

I'm sorry but I think Chris Mullin is a terrible hire.

 

I understand why they pulled the trigger on him, but I think if you are willing to go in this direction then Mark Jackson should have been the first call.

Says the guy that thought Tyndall to Tennessee was a great hire. :)

 

I still think he was a great hire in terms of fit and coaching ability. I had no knowledge of anything else so not much I can say about that.

 

Mullin has coached nothing. At any level. I'm not sure how a 1980's star is going to relate to recruits these days.

 

Don't get me wrong though. I grew up watching St. John's and would love to see them be relevant again.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.