Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who fills each open Coaching position?

Featured Replies

Anyone care to guess the candidates for:

Texas

Alabama

Tennessee

St.John's

Others

  • Replies 47
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt he is looking around this early but if I am Texas I would make an attempt to lure Brad Stevens from the Celtics. They might be one of the few programs who could put together a compensation package that is comparable to an NBA head coaches salary.

 

I think Alabama shoots for the moon and gets shot down. I think they are going to end up hiring a rising coach just like Grant but I think that would be a mistake. I feel as if they need a veteran who will make them continually competitive. Jerod Haase of UAB or a guy like Rick Stansbury strikes me as the market they will eventually hit upon.

 

Tennessee to me is a better job than Alabama right now and a place that you can be potentially successful. They need a recruiter to bring talent. If I'm them I am on the horn to Steve Lavin. I know he's not a southern guy but he can coach and recruit.

 

St. John's will not hire anyone better than Steve Lavin. The NYC hotbed of talent will always be there but it such a heavily recruited area. Not only do you Syracuse a couple of hours away, the big time schools will always be there as well. the competition is massive. I think they want a big name with some style and panache but I'm not that guy is out there. I think eventually they will hire a top level assistant from a big program. I can't stand Duke but I could see them going after Wojo (I think if he is eventually going to be the guy at Duke he's got to prove it on his own first) or trying lure Amaker from Harvard.

  • Author
I highly doubt he is looking around this early but if I am Texas I would make an attempt to lure Brad Stevens from the Celtics. They might be one of the few programs who could put together a compensation package that is comparable to an NBA head coaches salary.

 

I think Alabama shoots for the moon and gets shot down. I think they are going to end up hiring a rising coach just like Grant but I think that would be a mistake. I feel as if they need a veteran who will make them continually competitive. Jerod Haase of UAB or a guy like Rick Stansbury strikes me as the market they will eventually hit upon.

 

Tennessee to me is a better job than Alabama right now and a place that you can be potentially successful. They need a recruiter to bring talent. If I'm them I am on the horn to Steve Lavin. I know he's not a southern guy but he can coach and recruit.

 

St. John's will not hire anyone better than Steve Lavin. The NYC hotbed of talent will always be there but it such a heavily recruited area. Not only do you Syracuse a couple of hours away, the big time schools will always be there as well. the competition is massive. I think they want a big name with some style and panache but I'm not that guy is out there. I think eventually they will hire a top level assistant from a big program. I can't stand Duke but I could see them going after Wojo (I think if he is eventually going to be the guy at Duke he's got to prove it on his own first) or trying lure Amaker from Harvard.

 

I think Wojo is at Marquette, that is a good place for him to be and stay at.

I honestly think all of these positions will be filled by an assistant already on their staff, but love to speculate as the domino affect takes place

Rick Barnes had a huge buyout that kicked in on April 1, but he still got let go before then. That tells me that he either knows where the AD has a body buried or that maybe they want to jump in on someone like Greg Marshall right away before he gets offers from other places. I'm still leaning toward the first though.

Texas: Greg Marshall, Shaka Smart, Archie Miller, and Avery Johnson.

 

Those are some of the names being floated right now.

  • Author

I read where Buzz Williams at Va Tech might be a consideration at Texas, he's from there I believe

I'm not huge on Buzz Williams. I think Texas can get someone who has more success in the NCAA tournament. After the last two years I'm sold on Archie Miller, I think he's a better coach than his brother. I think Shaka Smart is in the perfect situation for himself. Gregg Marshall's been a stud since he was at Winthrop but he's never been in a situation where basketball is the secondary sport. That might be something to consider.

 

Another interesting note is DePaul is considering going with Dave Leitao again which would be a mild surprise.

 

I'm kind of surprised that Ben Jacobsen from Northern Iowa and Bryce Drew are getting more consideration.

Miller has been impressive in the tournament but he has barely got his team in the last 2 years. His regular seasons to me have not been that impressive.

 

I like Marshall much more than Miller.

Who I would hire:

Texas- Shaka Smart

Alabama- Gregg Marshall

Tennessee- Brad Underwood

St. John's- Mark Jackson

 

I think Texas will go get Gregg Marshall. I think Bobby Hurley will end up at St. John's. I have no idea who Bama and UT end up with, but I will scream it from the mountain tops that one of them should go get Brad Underwood from Stephen F. Austin if they can't get the bigger names that they may covet.

Did someone really use "Steve Lavin" and "can coach" in the same sentence?????

 

:lol2: :lol2:

 

Wait...

 

:lol2: :lol2:

Did someone really use "Steve Lavin" and "can coach" in the same sentence?????

 

:lol2: :lol2:

 

Wait...

 

:lol2: :lol2:

 

I think Lavin did a good job with the Johnnies.

I think Lavin did a good job with the Johnnies.

 

I think Lavin at SJU was a complete disaster that saw him pretty much steal 10 million dollars...

I think Lavin at SJU was a complete disaster that saw him pretty much steal 10 million dollars...

 

Really? Norm Roberts was the disaster.

 

If your argument is the money, okay- maybe they could have paid less for a guy. Would there have been a coach for significantly less money that would have done more than Lavin did off the back of Norm Roberts? I don't think so, but I guess reasonable minds can disagree.

 

Who was up for the gig when Lavin took it? Paul Hewitt, Seth Greenberg, Fran McCaffery? Those guys doing more at St. John's? Salaries likely would have been in a similar ball park- who was the better choice?

 

5 seasons, 4 post seasons, 2 NCAA appearances after the program was decimated for 6 years by the previous coach- Lavin did a solid job, IMO.

I think Lavin at SJU was a complete disaster that saw him pretty much steal 10 million dollars...

 

How so?

 

He did a bad job with UCLA. But, wasn't St. John's in terrible shape when he took over and he got them to the tournament this year? Seems he moved the program in a better direction. I never watch them, so I don't know. Did he or did he not improve the program?

How so?

 

He did a bad job with UCLA. But, wasn't St. John's in terrible shape when he took over and he got them to the tournament this year? Seems he moved the program in a better direction. I never watch them, so I don't know. Did he or did he not improve the program?

 

He improved the recruiting at 50K a pop. To only make the tournament 2 times with the talent on hand was terrible...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.