March 16, 201511 yr I think this is the year we lose Kenny Payne at UK. This maybe a good spot for him. I think UT may open up as well. With guys like him, I wonder if he even has a desire to be a head coach some where. He's making a pretty solid chunk of change at UK as an assistant with far less amount of headaches.
March 16, 201511 yr Alabama names assistant as interim basketball coach after Anthony Grant fired Brannen has been a member of Grant's staff nine years dating back to their time at VCU. Before that, he was an assistant at St. Bonaventure after three seasons in the same role at Eastern Kentucky. After the 2013 season, Brannen was reportedly a candidate for the head coaching job at Tennessee-Chattanooga.
March 17, 201511 yr I've always liked Anthony Grant but he wasn't getting it done at Bama. Sounds like a great opportunity for Brannen, although I have to think Alabama is looking outside of the program for Anthony's replacement.
March 17, 201511 yr I think Bama goes after and gets Steve Prohm from Murray State. I believe they've asked Murray State for permission to speak with him. If it's where he wants to be, go for it, but I'd think a better opportunity will arise after next year.
March 17, 201511 yr With guys like him, I wonder if he even has a desire to be a head coach some where. He's making a pretty solid chunk of change at UK as an assistant with far less amount of headaches. Most of these assistants have to try sitting in the head chair at least once to see what they can do. Payne has been close on a couple jobs the last year or 2, this will be his year IMO.
March 18, 201511 yr If I was Alabama I'd go after Bobby Hurley. I was very impressed with his Buffalo team. That's not a good fit for Bobby, IMO. DePaul is a better fit for Hurley, IMO. I'd wait for Brad Underwood if I was Alabama.
March 18, 201511 yr If Archie Miller makes his move to the big time this year, it'd be fun to see if Dayton can find a way to bring Grant home to coach the old alma mater. I think this is Archie's year to cash in, and he will have a bevy of suitors. I know for a fact that had Georgia Tech let BG go, Archie would have been the first call. As it is, I would expect DePaul to make a big play for Archie with a bucket of money. LRCW, if Chris Mack leaves Xavier this year, which I think is HIGHLY likely, Bobby Hurley will be near the front of the line.
March 18, 201511 yr LRCW, if Chris Mack leaves Xavier this year, which I think is HIGHLY likely, Bobby Hurley will be near the front of the line. Unhappy, or just ready to move on?
March 18, 201511 yr Alabama's basketball is like Kentucky's football. Try as they might, it remains in the shadow of the other program. My youngest son just completed his basketball career at an Alabama state universtiy. His coach went so far as to schedule as many of their road games as possible during football season and save the home games for when football season was over. There have been a lot of good players out of Alabama, and a few stayed there, but most seem to want to get out and get to a more basketball-friendly environment. Anthony Grant is a good guy, and he will land on his feet. I would like to see him at Memphis.
March 18, 201511 yr I was never impressed by Grant at Alabama. He never seemed to make any in game adjustments and didn't seem to coach with a lot of fire. He's probably best suited for a mid-major type conference.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.