Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Just how bad is the 9th?

Featured Replies

  • Author
....and welcome to the post season folks. Once we have lost our final game, we resort to personal attacks on BGP posters, because that ALWAYS makes our whining more credible.

 

Officials miss calls, but dare I say that fans in the stands miss FAR MORE calls than most officials. With Region swaps for officials, it makes it much easier for fans who have seen the same rotational crews during the season to find fault with unknowns. In some ways the anonymity is a good thing.

 

To be totally fair about the 16th, I did overhear one coach ask an official this year: "are you here for the kids tonight ?" Given this post, it must be a regional thing.

 

Sorry you didn't enjoy your games. I saw 4 fine games called by 12th Region guys this weekend and they did an outstanding job. I know most of the 9th Region post season guys and while they will miss some calls, as all do, they are some of the best in the state. I can almost guarantee you that one of the officials you saw was a finalist for Referee of the Year last year in Kentucky....

 

WOW! Just don't see how that's possible on the official of the year from what I've seen in the girls, maybe the boys!!

  • Replies 123
  • Views 19.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
BTW - how many fouls are the officials supposed to call in a half? I can't seem to find that in my rule book! :walk:

 

I'll answer that 2nd grade post with this, it sure is in the rule book, "whenever there is an advantage gained"!! If that's zero, fine, if that's 20, fine too!!! Kids just want a consistent game on both ends, didn't happen!!!

  • Author
Watched the 9th region final last night and the officials from the 16th were not very good. I'd take our 9th Region officials over these guys any day. I had no dog in the fight, just wanted to see the 2 best in the 9th battle it out. It was a very good game, but the officials were not very good on either end of the court. Not an easy job, but 2 of the 3 were not able to keep up with the pace of the game. Needs to be some type of physical requirement in order to be an official.

 

I'm from the 16th and will agree, most of them aren't very good, the ones from the 9th doing the girls aren't very good either!!

  • Author
I am not real sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, and if so I apologize. I was to angry to read through the rest of the thread to find out, only made it to post 12 I think.

 

16th, there is one solution to your problem that I can think of. If you think the officials are so bad and they caused your team to lose the game, then BECOME A HIGH SCHOOL OFFICIAL AND SHOW EVERYONE HOW OFFICIATING SHOULD BE DONE. Nothing worse than a cry baby because your team lost. These people give up 5 months out of their year at least 4 nights a week for not a lot of money per game to do something they love. Officiating is not easy and I commend these people for putting up with loud mouth people who live vicariously through their children in high school sports. Better luck next year.

 

IF you had read the other posts you would've known that I've ALREADY BEEN AN OFFICIAL, just follow the kids at school now!!

 

By the way, there is no "better luck next year" for those seniors that deserved better than what they got the other night!!!

  • Author
Refs are evaluated and there are barely enough of them as it is. Guys work hard and in Championship games like last night no human over 25 could keep up with those highly conditioned athletes. Respect the refs as it is the most thankless job in the world.

 

Could not agree more, I'm talking about ONE night and ONE game!!

IF you had read the other posts you would've known that I've ALREADY BEEN AN OFFICIAL, just follow the kids at school now!!

 

By the way, there is no "better luck next year" for those seniors that deserved better than what they got the other night!!!

 

Being an official in the past has nothing to do with it. Officiating is so bad that it doesn't matter what you did in the past right? You might think about coming out of retirement and showing all of these other refs what PERFECT officiating is all about, otherwise, keep quiet. It is that simple.

I think we all want to see games where all the kids play at a high level and it gets officiated at a high level. I for one am not going to blame officials for a loss, but I do expect officials to conduct themselves at a proficient level of expertise.

 

I am not an official or ever plan on officiating, but I here all the time that officials are evaluated. What does that mean? Do officials ever get demoted for not meeting certain standards or are they impervious to this much like our meteorologists? :sarcastic: I cringe when seeing certain officials show up for games because I know it will be poorly officiated.

  • Author
I think we all want to see games where all the kids play at a high level and it gets officiated at a high level. I for one am not going to blame officials for a loss, but I do expect officials to conduct themselves at a proficient level of expertise.

 

I am not an official or ever plan on officiating, but I here all the time that officials are evaluated. What does that mean? Do officials ever get demoted for not meeting certain standards or are they impervious to this much like our meteorologists? :sarcastic: I cringe when seeing certain officials show up for games because I know it will be poorly officiated.

 

AGREE 100%!!

  • Author
Being an official in the past has nothing to do with it. Officiating is so bad that it doesn't matter what you did in the past right? You might think about coming out of retirement and showing all of these other refs what PERFECT officiating is all about, otherwise, keep quiet. It is that simple.

 

Really, thought it might help me know something about officiating a game, my mistake!!

nope, not that simple, there will be no "keeping quiet" but you're right, I've NEVER seen an official get mad at a coach/player and let it effect their game, I've never seen officials "protect" OR "assume" calls for a Mr./Miss basketball candidate, they're all PERFECT as you say and that NEVER happens, I'm sure you've never seen it either!! LOL!!!!!!!

I think we all want to see games where all the kids play at a high level and it gets officiated at a high level. I for one am not going to blame officials for a loss, but I do expect officials to conduct themselves at a proficient level of expertise.

 

I am not an official or ever plan on officiating, but I here all the time that officials are evaluated. What does that mean? Do officials ever get demoted for not meeting certain standards or are they impervious to this much like our meteorologists? :sarcastic: I cringe when seeing certain officials show up for games because I know it will be poorly officiated.

 

Let me answer this with a question.......when was the last time you saw a "varsity" official suddenly doing JV games.......OR....to take it a step further.....who was the last official to get fired for poor performance? I have kept up with the game for a few years---my answers to the above questions are NEVER....and don't know of any. Anyone?

  • Author
Let me answer this with a question.......when was the last time you saw a "varsity" official suddenly doing JV games.......OR....to take it a step further.....who was the last official to get fired for poor performance? I have kept up with the game for a few years---my answers to the above questions are NEVER....and don't know of any. Anyone?

 

Again, agree 100%, thank you!!! An earlier poster said to respect officials for doing something they love for very little money, what about respecting the KIDS for doing something THEY LOVE WITH THEIR TEAM MATES by giving them your best shot every time out and when that doesn't happen just admitting "I really screwed that game up tonight" (which officials get another chance from, seniors don't) instead of all this other CHATTER!!

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #13

Being an official in the past has nothing to do with it. Officiating is so bad that it doesn't matter what you did in the past right? You might think about coming out of retirement and showing all of these other refs what PERFECT officiating is all about, otherwise, keep quiet. It is that simple.

 

And there it is. Took a while

My school of thought is "if you're not willing to solve the problem, don't complain." This would be a much shorter thread if many others followed that same advice.:up:

I'll answer that 2nd grade post with this, it sure is in the rule book, "whenever there is an advantage gained"!! If that's zero, fine, if that's 20, fine too!!! Kids just want a consistent game on both ends, didn't happen!!!

 

Rulebook says nothing about "whenever there is an advantage gained."

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.