April 14, 200620 yr I understand through the rumor mill everything is back to square one. At this point none of what has been proposed will pass in its current form because the KDE has made it clear they are not going to approve any of the proposals. I also understand the "private bashers" have switched tactics and a level playing field is no longer the issue, now illegal recruiting is the battle cry. If the powers that be spent as much time looking in the mirror as they do trying to legislate an advantage for their own schools they just might like the results. Again, in case anyone forgot, you can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-American.
April 14, 200620 yr I understand through the rumor mill everything is back to square one. At this point none of what has been proposed will pass in its current form because the KDE has made it clear they are not going to approve any of the proposals. I also understand the "private bashers" have switched tactics and a level playing field is no longer the issue, now illegal recruiting is the battle cry. If the powers that be spent as much time looking in the mirror as they do trying to legislate an advantage for their own schools they just might like the results. Again, in case anyone forgot, you can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-American. I am very happy that the BOE seems to be looking at the situation from the perspective of the kids. I still think the playing field not being level is still the largest issue even though recruiting was a focus point in the presentation by the "guest" speakers at the BOE. While I agree that you can not self impose restrictions and expect others to do the same, but that doesn't exactly tell the whole story. Even at the schools that have open enrollment, there is still only a limited amount of space because those in the district boundaries get first shot. Therefore that is not a completely fair comparison to the non-public school situation, but is a point worth mentioning. I hope the whole thing goes away, but I do not think it will. Until then, I will keep preparing the kids that I coach to beat every team we play, non-public or public!
April 14, 200620 yr Again, in case anyone forgot, you can't self impose restrictions on your own school district and then complain that others won't do the same. The practice is not only stupid but it is un-American. 100% correct, and the right thing is being done right now.
April 14, 200620 yr I understand through the rumor mill everything is back to square one. At this point none of what has been proposed will pass in its current form because the KDE has made it clear they are not going to approve any of the proposals.This public school graduate and father to three public school kids has just one thing to say about this. God bless the KDE.
April 14, 200620 yr I always prefer thank God for the ACLU but I like this one too! I choked on my popcorn while reading that first part. I thought the proposals that went to the KDE were terrible options and did not represent the desires of the 190some schools that voted as they did in October. The recruiting spin they put on it and the proposals represented those on the task force and not the 190some (although some) that voted as they did in Oct. Not to just guru, but to all that the KDE is thinking about the kids is halfway laughable. The reason that Prop 20/classification is not seriously considered is the $$$$ of the Sweet 16 and not the kids. "The kids" talk is Frankfort politician talk. Someone really believes in their heart of heart that it is better for all of those kids in Class A city public schools to get the brains beat in that first round of district by some 4A or private school, instead of competing against schools such as they are and have a fair chance instead of the Cinderella of the ball story.
April 15, 200620 yr I choked on my popcorn while reading that first part. I thought the proposals that went to the KDE were terrible options and did not represent the desires of the 190some schools that voted as they did in October. The recruiting spin they put on it and the proposals represented those on the task force and not the 190some (although some) that voted as they did in Oct. Not to just guru, but to all that the KDE is thinking about the kids is halfway laughable. The reason that Prop 20/classification is not seriously considered is the $$$$ of the Sweet 16 and not the kids. "The kids" talk is Frankfort politician talk. Someone really believes in their heart of heart that it is better for all of those kids in Class A city public schools to get the brains beat in that first round of district by some 4A or private school, instead of competing against schools such as they are and have a fair chance instead of the Cinderella of the ball story. If you try and convince me this "level" playing field has anything to do with anything else but the adults and coaches ego in the public school district, well your talking to the wrong guy. No proposal public schools have put forward have put every kid in this states best interest forward. They are proposals that would help each indivdual coach maybe recieve more wins or make it easier on them to get the wins. It doesn't take into account whats best for the kid, public school officals have some sort of self absorbed ego that thinks they have a right to education of children in their area. The constitution calls for a public education as each indivdual students right, but it does not give those public schools a monopoly over these students educational career.
April 15, 200620 yr Good to see this mess put to rest for a while. If what was being proposed would have been passed it would have crippled Ky. High School Athletics.
April 16, 200620 yr Im glad what was proposed was not passed. Does anyone know why it was decided to forward a 2 year ban? It seems no one really got behind that did they? Bear with me I'm back to my conspiracy theories............. Was that seriously what leaders in our state thought was the proper idea (& would pass) or was it floated just to fail ? Woody Jr
April 16, 200620 yr Mark this down. You are now seeing the beginning of the end of the last hold of the good old boys. The KHSAA will undergo a major restructuring in a few years. The entire KHSAA structure will be redone. The fat and happy athletic directors will be the way of dino's and replaced with business and administrative development/service managers. This event signals the end. How? Simple: They could not resolve their recommendations from their membership vote, their attempts at satisfaction faced legislative action, their attempts to fix were totally rebuffed. That is a totally ineffective leadership. I look for the superintendents of the state to make a recommendation to overtake the KHSAA. Thankfully, the end will be near and the benefits of the hospitality rooms, trips, retreats, etc. will not be the driver why so many stick around way to long and in its place a focused, service oriented association to emerge.
April 16, 200620 yr I believe the private contingent and the Male/Manual open enrollment schools have an advantage over those schools that do not have open enrollment or boundaries. I believe this ultimately will come down to 1 of 2 decisions. 1) There will be split of public/private schools. or 2) There will be some type of multiplier placed on private/open enrollment schools. That is probably the only solution that will avoid a multitude of lawsuits. The multiplier will lead to classifcation of basketball/baseball/softball tourneys and a total revamping of the KHSAA as we know it. Not that a total revamping would be a bad thing because sometimes I feel like the KHSAA is 50 years behind the real world.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.