Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who among us have ever been a player on a championship team? How did it feel?

Featured Replies

I posted on a picture yesterday that victory must feel great. Made me realize I have never been on a championship team Basketball or any other sport for that matter. How does it feel?

  • Replies 46
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Author

Doesn't sound like we have too many former champions? Join the club.

I posted on a picture yesterday that victory must feel great. Made me realize I have never been on a championship team Basketball or any other sport for that matter. How does it feel?

 

You talking "state" champion only or does "regional" champion count??

I never played high school ball, but previous to high school I was on two basketball championship teams, and one knothole baseball championship team.

 

They all were memorable and exciting, and a serious big deal for me and my teammates. We always had pretty good teams even in the years that we didn't win it all, so it was a thrill to be apart of a winning tradition throughout my childhood even if some of the seasons had ended a little shorter than we had hoped.

 

It was also a big deal to get championship jackets at the sports banquets that we wore with pride, and also to be awarded trophies that I could display proudly in my bedroom.

 

For the knothole city baseball championship we even got attention from the local papers and had our picture taken, and the mayor wrote up a proclamation to specify a certain day to honor our team.

 

It's hard to separate the joy from either championships, but the basketball championship that was won by my grade school team stands out to me for various reasons.

 

For starters it was a team that I started for while the other two I did not.

 

I was sharing this excitement with my best childhood friends, whereas the other two championships were with kids from various locations around the area.

 

Going in to the season we weren't expected to have any impact on the league, and ended up winning it all, which just made it that much sweeter.

 

We literally came from nowhere because our school previous to this victorious season hadn't even had a team for about 7 years and it was just by our insistence to our teachers that in our 8th grade that we have one.

 

We had one of the lowest enrollments of any school in the league because we were an inner city Catholic school struggling to stay open, and the school actually only remained open one more year after we graduated.

 

Yep...that championship sure was sweet, but the other two were most certainly awesome too.

 

I personally was an average at best athlete, so all in all I lucked out big time to always be able to find myself amongst kids that made all the difference. You really couldn't say that I was anywhere near the main reason for these championships, but it still sure was exciting to be apart of these teams and share in the victory.

 

Many kids that I played with growing up actually did go on to have pretty decent high school careers, while I cheered them on from the stands.

I haven't played on a championship team (except in bowling), but have been an assistant on our (Brossart) 2000 10th Regional Championship team, and a staffer on our 2007 "A" State Championship team. Both were quite exhilarating. The former because it was the biggest thing that had ever happened to our basketball program and signaled an arrival of sorts, plus we were going to the state tournament for the first time ever, and lastly because we won it in dramatic fashion.

 

The latter because we had played in a previous "A" State championship game and came up short, and after several appearances finally got the job done, and with a very talented well-deserving team. This win provided me with my one and only ring earned in nearly 40 years association with the program, making it double-special.

 

I think the big difference is how often you get to experience winning championships. If you are heavily favored and have won several, sometimes its more a relief when it happens, and you get that target off of your back. Unexpected championships, such as our 2000 Regional Championship, are the absolute best. I also think how much work that goes into winning that championship means a lot too. When your hard work pays off, it is extremely gratifying.

 

Winning championships at the highest level aren't always the most rewarding either. I remember winning the 2006 Ashland Invitational Tournament, while huge underdogs, and as our Girls Varsity coach winning the school's first-ever district championship as among my favorites. I even hold upset wins over rivals NCC and Campbell County among my all-time most fond memories.

 

To use a John Rolf (one of my broadcast partners) saying, I think it depends on "time and situation" that provides just what you feel after accomplishing the major goal of winning a championship or pulling a major upset.

Won a 9th Region baseball tournament. Awesome feeling. Then we lost the first game of the sectionals in a very close game...still remember it like it happened last week and it happened over 30 years ago...

Won two 34th district championships, one 9th regional championship and state semi-finalists. Feeling was tremendous!!! Great memories

Played on the 1992 NSA Men's Major Indoor World Series Championship softball team.....to quote Chris Sabo (with my own embellishment), "we got the rings, we got the money, we got the women, we got it all". :lol:

 

Also, a member of the 1982 JV Regional (baseball) Championship team, now that was alot of fun. That game alone (vs. Dixie) could be its own thread, it was that exciting......8-7 8 inning NewCath victory.

  • Author

These are great! Anyone else, any championship?

 

My daughters 9th Region Championship was amazing. Can still remember standing in Conner gym afterwards and not wanting to leave. NDA had a great run and it was stressful until the final horn.

I was a long time scorekeeper for the Mason Co. girls and never went to the State tourney and about ten years ago got an chance to switch to the boys. The first year Mason went to the State tournament and I thought that was great. Then two years later, I had the best experience of my life was winning the State tourney with Mason County. It was unbelievable and something I really never dreamed. Being on the floor after the game and celebration was something I will never forget. And of course, the ring was nice too. My son was a manager and got a ring in 2003.

2007 Ky Boys Basketball State Champions

1998 NAIA National Championship

They were both incredible, life changing experiences.

Not to brag or anything, but played on 2 state championship football teams, 2 9th region championship teams and coached a youth baseball team that was a city runner-up and a city champ twice when they had Division 1 knothole. Also played on a state Junior Pro runner-up team back int he day. Should have been champ and advanced to nationals but they were tired of the Newport team winning it every year.

In football, I was fortunate enough to be a on a NKY Freshman championship team and a State Championship team. Unfortunately, lost one year on a 4th & Goal play in OT in the playoffs. I'll forever believe that our RB got in the end zone, but the officials didn't see it that way. Frankly, it never should have come down to that play.

 

On the baseball side, won one District title, but suffered two 1-0 first round defeats in the 9th Region tourney. Also lost in the Knothole City championship game one year on a runner's interference call that negated the tying run.

 

It's funny, I don't remember much about the championships, but I sure remember a lot about those losses. I don't know if I'll ever get completely over them.

2012 10th region champions in soccer!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.