Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Archdiocese to Catholics: Don't see "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Featured Replies

I guess my whole point is, I think the church would be better served to worry about their own "house" rather than worry about what movies people want to go watch.

  • Replies 69
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess my whole point is, I think the church would be better served to worry about their own "house" rather than worry about what movies people want to go watch.

 

To which I would say, tending to the flock is always part of watching their own house. There are people who use the reviews and the guides, I'm sure.

Didn't see that before, thanks.

 

Find it interesting that the only movies they put an "O" rating to are ones involving sleeping around/sexual themes. Killing is apparently not morally offensive in their mind. :idunno:

 

The entire Texas Chainsaw Massacre series got an "O".

Why is that incorrect? Who else's business would it be?!

 

Well if they are members of a church, then it is the business of the preacher who is responsible for the spiritual growth of that person. If they are married to other people then it is the business of the spouses. If they have children who are still minors, then I think it is their business as well.

^So you're saying you share what happens in your bedroom with your children? That's a bit creepy IMO.

Well if they are members of a church, then it is the business of the preacher who is responsible for the spiritual growth of that person. If they are married to other people then it is the business of the spouses. If they have children who are still minors, then I think it is their business as well.

 

Maybe we can agree to disagree.

 

I think preachers are responsible for instructing and guiding individuals spiritual growth, but it is ultimately the induvidual's responsibility how much/little growth of their spiritual life occurs. Also, in this context, I am speaking about the specific acts performed in the bedroom as was mentioned on post #5. I see no reason for children to know specifically what their parents do in the privacy of their bedroom. JMO again.

When you go public with a request like this it opens up the "why not other movies" question.

 

Are they cool with murder?

Are they cool with foul language?

Are they cool with premarital sex?

 

Why this one?

 

I agree with you. One may make an argument agreeing with the Archbishop. But where does it end? It's a slippery slope, if it's this today, what will it be tomorrow?

  • Author
Well if they are members of a church, then it is the business of the preacher who is responsible for the spiritual growth of that person. If they are married to other people then it is the business of the spouses. If they have children who are still minors, then I think it is their business as well.

 

I'm not about to tell my priest about what I do in the bedroom or confess any "sins" to him regarding. I'm even less inclined to tell my kids! None of their business. Period.

I'm not about to tell my priest about what I do in the bedroom or confess any "sins" to him regarding. I'm even less inclined to tell my kids! None of their business. Period.

 

I'd take it a step further. Any priests or preachers wanting to discuss their congregations bedroom activities are nothing more than pervs IMO.

Why is that incorrect? Who else's business would it be?!

 

Well, when I'm peaking through the window at the compound, I...whoops, I've said too much.:sssh:

I agree with you. One may make an argument agreeing with the Archbishop. But where does it end? It's a slippery slope, if it's this today, what will it be tomorrow?

 

I have no problem with the Church making proclamations. My concern is simply the impression given when one movie warrants a letter to the parish priests while others simply get a rating in the church newspaper.

 

I support the Church's right and responsibility to the parishoners.

Didn't see that before, thanks.

 

Find it interesting that the only movies they put an "O" rating to are ones involving sleeping around/sexual themes. Killing is apparently not morally offensive in their mind. :idunno:

 

But God help you — pun completely intended — if your movie may make light of the Church. Or even not, really. "Life of Brian" got an O rating as well, and was banned by the Catholic Church, which is totally absurd.

From what I've heard about the qaulity of the movie, the Archbishop may be doing his flock a favor.

Maybe we can agree to disagree.

 

I think preachers are responsible for instructing and guiding individuals spiritual growth, but it is ultimately the induvidual's responsibility how much/little growth of their spiritual life occurs. Also, in this context, I am speaking about the specific acts performed in the bedroom as was mentioned on post #5. I see no reason for children to know specifically what their parents do in the privacy of their bedroom. JMO again.

 

I guess I just see it differently. If I have two people in my church that are cheating on their spouses with each other, I think it is my business as it affects my congregation. I think if I mother is cheating on her husband then it is a family issue and the children (depending on age) have the right to know.

I guess I just see it differently. If I have two people in my church that are cheating on their spouses with each other, I think it is my business as it affects my congregation. I think if I mother is cheating on her husband then it is a family issue and the children (depending on age) have the right to know.

 

So you're going to drag all of them through the mud during your sermon? And bring the rest of the congregation into it? How wise is that?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.