February 17, 201511 yr Can't possibly disagree more. Sticking your nose in other people's business is not part of the job description for a preacher/priest. If it doesn't impact the job their doing, whom a person sleeps with is none of their business. Alrighty. I disagree.
February 17, 201511 yr Not at all. I understand their teachings just fine. That's what this screams of though. Let's speak out about a movie that is overly sexual, but just publish movie reviews regarding movies with tons of violence. To play devils advocate. I think the Church's stance on violence in a movie would depend on it's context. Is the movie glorifying crime, murder and violence that is not justified. There are plenty of actions movies with violence that don't glorify sinful or criminal behavior. It could be a movie on war, police forces , terrorism etc..., the underlying message probably matters to the church. The church came out against this topic because they feel it glorfies abuse against women, I happen to disagree. But I do think context matters.
February 17, 201511 yr Can't possibly disagree more. Sticking your nose in other people's business is not part of the job description for a preacher/priest. If it doesn't impact the job their doing, whom a person sleeps with is none of their business. Are you a practicing Catholic? I don't think any priests is asking you on an indivdual basis what you may or may not be doing with your partner. But if you want to get married in the Church it has been a question asked forever. I'm confused on how you don't see this as the role of the church. They speak on sinful behavior and part of that lies on this subject. I don't always agree with the church by any means but I obviously understand why they talk on these subjects.
February 17, 201511 yr Are you a practicing Catholic? I don't think any priests is asking you on an indivdual basis what you may or may not be doing with your partner. But if you want to get married in the Church it has been a question asked forever. I'm confused on how you don't see this as the role of the church. They speak on sinful behavior and part of that lies on this subject. I don't always agree with the church by any means but I obviously understand why they talk on these subjects. I am, and I was just married in the Church a few months ago, so I know exactly what is asked. I just don't agree that it's a priest or preachers business as to what goes on in the bedroom between 2 consenting adults. It isn't the first and won't be the last place I disagree with the Church.
February 17, 201511 yr Author Are you a practicing Catholic? I don't think any priests is asking you on an indivdual basis what you may or may not be doing with your partner. But if you want to get married in the Church it has been a question asked forever. I'm confused on how you don't see this as the role of the church. They speak on sinful behavior and part of that lies on this subject. I don't always agree with the church by any means but I obviously understand why they talk on these subjects. Which part of the movie/books is sinful?
February 17, 201511 yr I am, and I was just married in the Church a few months ago, so I know exactly what is asked. I just don't agree that it's a priest or preachers business as to what goes on in the bedroom between 2 consenting adults. It isn't the first and won't be the last place I disagree with the Church. So if the church believes something to be a sin they shouldn't ask you about it before they perform a Sacrament? Whether I agree or disagree , or have broken this sin shouldn't change the fact that I understand why they ask it.
February 17, 201511 yr Which part of the movie/books is sinful? I said I don't agree with this specific stance. But if I'm guessing first would be the pre-martial relationship and the second is this growing sentiment of it glorifying abuse of women.
February 17, 201511 yr So if the church believes something to be a sin they shouldn't ask you about it before they perform a Sacrament? Whether I agree or disagree , or have broken this sin shouldn't change the fact that I understand why they ask it. I'm not sure what that has to do with a priest or preacher injecting themselves in the personal lives of two people? If two people get married in the church, and 5 years down the road a priest/preacher suspects one of them is having an affair with someone else, IMO, it's not their place or business to involve themselves in the situation. You disagree, that's fine. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. Just stating my opinion on the topic.
February 18, 201511 yr Because the Catholic church thinks sexuality is more taboo than murder and violence. JMO. Actually, the Catholic Church regards sexuality as one of the most beautiful things in the world. It is such a beautiful thing that it is meant to be the full most expression of love that a married couple can show for each other, among other things.
February 19, 201511 yr Actually, the Catholic Church regards sexuality as one of the most beautiful things in the world. It is such a beautiful thing that it is meant to be the full most expression of love that a married couple can show for each other, among other things. Exactly. Very similar to how the church views the Eucharist, sacred and to be protected from being used in inappropriate ways. The church is clear that the primary purposes of sex is procreation and strengthening the marital union. When two people (even when married) use sex in a manner which does not strengthen the union, the church believes the sexual act is being degraded. I don't think many reasonable people would argue sex which degrades one of the two in the act (the woman in this case) does not strengthen the marital bond. Thus is way pastors SHOULD preach and teach about sexuality in their role as pastors. Unfortunately many pastors do not have the courage to preach about such such topics instead succumb to pressure to mind their own business.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.