February 12, 201511 yr So you're going to drag all of them through the mud during your sermon? And bring the rest of the congregation into it? How wise is that? How in the world did you get that from what I said?
February 12, 201511 yr How in the world did you get that from what I said? Maybe I had a false start on the public shaming part. But when a preacher says something going on in his/her congregation is "his business," I can't help but think that that is fodder for sermons.
February 12, 201511 yr Maybe I had a false start on the public shaming part. But when a preacher says something going on in his/her congregation is "his business," I can't help but think that that is fodder for sermons. Please rethink that thought. At least in my case.
February 17, 201511 yr All or nothing. Implied consent if mot. While I think this ban is silly the all or nothing apprach is also silly. You pick out the big ones that land the biggest message. It's makes perfect sense.
February 17, 201511 yr While I think this ban is silly the all or nothing apprach is also silly. You pick out the big ones that land the biggest message. It's makes perfect sense. How is this bigger than a movie with violence?
February 17, 201511 yr I'd take it a step further. Any priests or preachers wanting to discuss their congregations bedroom activities are nothing more than pervs IMO. You really believe this? Sexuality is an integral part of a strong marriage. Strong marriages are important to family and Christian life. If a pastor sees something he/she believes can degrade the marital union and doesn't have the guts to speak about it to his flock, maybe he\she should reconsider their calling to be a pastor. Regardless to whether I agree with his view of the film (haven't seen it, no real desire to), I applaud the Archbishop for accepting the fact that his position requires he sometimes speak about positions that may be unpopular.
February 17, 201511 yr How is this bigger than a movie with violence? Like I said I don't agree with this particular sentiment on this movie. I just can't buy into the fact the Church needs to do the same thing across the board. The strategy of messaging on larger topics or examples is used all the time for causes whether religious or non-religious.
February 17, 201511 yr You really believe this? Sexuality is an integral part of a strong marriage. Strong marriages are important to family and Christian life. If a pastor sees something he/she believes can degrade the marital union and doesn't have the guts to speak about it to his flock, maybe he\she should reconsider their calling to be a pastor. Regardless to whether I agree with his view of the film (haven't seen it, no real desire to), I applaud the Archbishop for accepting the fact that his position requires he sometimes speak about positions that may be unpopular. Yes, I really believe it. What a man and his wife do in their own bedroom is between them and God. Here's the thing, since no two people are alike, no two marriages are alike either. What may weaken one marriage, may strengthen another and vice versa. Only people who know one another in the intimate way that a husband and wife do, will know what does or doesn't degrade their marital union. Certainly not a guy in a white collar that has zero marriage experience.
February 17, 201511 yr How is this bigger than a movie with violence? Because the Catholic church thinks sexuality is more taboo than murder and violence. JMO.
February 17, 201511 yr Because the Catholic church thinks sexuality is more taboo than murder and violence. JMO. That is a flat incorrect misunderstanding of the Catholic Church teachings.
February 17, 201511 yr That is a flat incorrect misunderstanding of the Catholic Church teachings. Not at all. I understand their teachings just fine. That's what this screams of though. Let's speak out about a movie that is overly sexual, but just publish movie reviews regarding movies with tons of violence.
February 17, 201511 yr Yes, I really believe it. What a man and his wife do in their own bedroom is between them and God. Here's the thing, since no two people are alike, no two marriages are alike either. What may weaken one marriage, may strengthen another and vice versa. Only people who know one another in the intimate way that a husband and wife do, will know what does or doesn't degrade their marital union. Certainly not a guy in a white collar that has zero marriage experience. Between a husband and a wife, then I am with you. Bt if we're talking about adultery or pre-marital sex taking place within the church body, then it is the leader of that particular congregation who has a stake in it as well. If the sunday school teacher is sleeping with the secretary and both are married to other people, then the preacher needs to step in.
February 17, 201511 yr Between a husband and a wife, then I am with you. Bt if we're talking about adultery or pre-marital sex taking place within the church body, then it is the leader of that particular congregation who has a stake in it as well. If the sunday school teacher is sleeping with the secretary and both are married to other people, then the preacher needs to step in. Can't possibly disagree more. Sticking your nose in other people's business is not part of the job description for a preacher/priest. If it doesn't impact the job their doing, whom a person sleeps with is none of their business.
February 17, 201511 yr Not at all. I understand their teachings just fine. That's what this screams of though. Let's speak out about a movie that is overly sexual, but just publish movie reviews regarding movies with tons of violence. Look at the 10 Commandments. Adultery is #6 and Killing is #5 on the list. The Catholic Church has very high priority on Pro-Life issues, beginning with the slaughter of millions of innocent babies in the womb, to being against embryonic stem cell research, euthanasia, and capital punishment. The Pope has speaking regularly about the treatment of the poor and disadvantaged around the world. He speaks out against violence and killing of all kinds. The clergy from the Pope, cardinals, bishops, and priests have a responsibility to be the Voice of Christ for the members of the church. They are highly qualified to speak on these issues, even sexuality. They are men/human beings like all of us. They can relate to our challenges about raising Godly families more than you can imagine. Their highest priorities are to pray, read Scripture, and bring God's Word alive in our minds and hearts. Without them leading, we would be like cars on icy, Kentucky roads headed for crashes into the ditches.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.