February 5, 201511 yr The Browns have to be the most dysfunctional NFL franchise. Agree...I think they just wrestled that trophy away from the Raiders...
February 5, 201511 yr Farmer Could Be Suspended; Browns May Lose Pick Over Textgate And yet crickets on here... What do you think should happen?
February 5, 201511 yr The NFL is on a witch hunt right now. There's some truth to this. Deflection instrumented by the worst commissioner in professional sports. I can't be convinced otherwise. While it could be argued that no news is good news, I don't think that's the case.
February 5, 201511 yr Supposedly Farmer was texting QB coach during games about Shananhan play calling and the use of players. I never have been a fan of Shananhan or his play calling. As they say it gets worse before it gets better they are due. To lose a GM for some games no big deal but to lose draft pick thats not good.
February 12, 201511 yr Owner, Jimmy Haslam, has confirmed it was Ray Farmer doing the texting during the games. He says that Farmer is remorseful and has apologized to the team... it "eats him up [Farmer] every day." Haslam is standing by his GM and despite this mistake, is supportive of Farmer and the job he is doing. When asked if this factored into Shanahan's departure Haslam said, "You'll ave to ask Kyle that. We're excited about Flip." Flip is the new OC John DeFilippo. BTW, I liked Shanahan. That zone blocking scheme he put in was really doing the job for the running game until the center broke his leg. Browns were tearing it up and that opened up the play action pass for Hoyer. They were 7-4 at one point. Injuries were the biggest factor in the decline at the end. The roster is thin and when they lost several players to injury, none more important than Mack, it proved to be too large an obstacle for them this year.
February 12, 201511 yr I understand what they did, but why is it a violation to begin with? I'm probably missing something about it. Poor form in the messages being sent, but that is a separate discussion in itself.
February 12, 201511 yr All I heard is so that someone doesn't gain an unfair advantage. I am not sure anything Farmer sent will prove to have been an unfair advantage... they lost pretty badly in some of the games in which there is supposed to have been texting going on. Who knows how that could transpire, just use your imagination... if it can be done to gain an advantage someone will think of it and try it. The NFL's concern is that someone broke the rule so they need to come down on it, no matter the triviality of the texts because they don't want anyone else doing it again and maybe the next time it isn't trivial. It has to do with the appearance of fairness in the game. Same reason gambling is an issue for sports teams. Don't even want it to appear that someone throws a game or shaves points.
February 12, 201511 yr You guys aren't being fair. It's a non-story when teams don't make the playoffs and break the rules. When a team breaks the rules in a game to get to the Super Bowl it is 100x more of a story. You know this.
February 12, 201511 yr I for one minute don't think this was Farmer's doing or he'd be gone. I think this is Haslam all the way. The Browns organization is a mess right now. They have no QB and are doing everything they can to circumvent the rules to get Mariota, have no QB, will not be able to attract the big names in FA they need, have no QB, heavy handed ownership with no patience, no QB....
February 14, 201511 yr I for one minute don't think this was Farmer's doing or he'd be gone. I think this is Haslam all the way. The Browns organization is a mess right now. They have no QB and are doing everything they can to circumvent the rules to get Mariota, have no QB, will not be able to attract the big names in FA they need, have no QB, heavy handed ownership with no patience, no QB.... How does textgate help them get in a position to take Mariota?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.