Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

FCC Votes in New Broadband Standard: 25 Mbps Download, 3 Mbps Upload

Featured Replies

In its 2015 Broadband Progress Report, the Federal Communications Commission redefined what constitutes a valid broadband Internet connection on Thursday in a 3-2 vote. The new standard dictates that a broadband connection must offer a 25 Mbps download speed, up from 4 Mbps and a 3 Mbps upload speed, up from 1 Mbps.

 

FCC Votes in New Broadband Standard: 25 Mbps Download, 3 Mbps Upload

Is this good or bad?

 

What does it mean for the average consumer?

 

Does this mean inflated internet charges are on the way?

 

Why aren't there more options out there for an ISP?

 

All serious questions, as I'm a moron when trying to figure out technology, until someone talks to me like I'm a five-year-old.

^ Chances are you already have those speeds, or close to it. If you are in rural America you might not.

Is this good or bad?

 

What does it mean for the average consumer?

 

Does this mean inflated internet charges are on the way?

 

Why aren't there more options out there for an ISP?

 

All serious questions, as I'm a moron when trying to figure out technology, until someone talks to me like I'm a five-year-old.

 

Just spit-balling but streaming is the future of almost everything and I am glad the FCC is kicking everyone in the tail to get going. Otherwise, we are all going to have a bunch of great technology that doesn't work all the time because either the infrastructure isn't up to snuff and/or ISPs are playing games with their customers because they are using someone else's service. For example, you get your Net though a company that also provides TV but you like to use Netflix and Hulu. Some of those ISPs are going to mess with your connection to get you back to their service. However, if the FCC forces all ISPs to open up the bandwidth it makes it much tougher for everyone to play games at the customers expense.

 

Again, just spit-balling on this one but I like what the FCC is doing.

Pretty sure my Zoomtown doesn't meet those requirements. It's garbage. Sometimes it has trouble loading BGP pages.

Pretty sure my Zoomtown doesn't meet those requirements. It's garbage. Sometimes it has trouble loading BGP pages.

 

I know I can't prove it but my Zoomtown and Netflix don't always get along. I am thinking Netflix is innocent in the situation. And I pay for 30 meg down.

And already there are false ad's on Facebook asking people to sign a petition against this. I wonder who is against this? Some providers perhaps? Hmmm.

 

Companies such as Netflix love the idea. Companies such as Verizon who throttle customers speeds at times among other things, don't think it's a good idea.

Pretty sure my Zoomtown doesn't meet those requirements. It's garbage. Sometimes it has trouble loading BGP pages.

 

If I'm not mistaken, Zoomtown is only around 5Mbps. I dropped it a couple years back for Insight/TWC. I recently switched to Fioptics as it became available in my neighborhood. I have 20Mbps, and it works just fine for me. It does lag at times early in the day if I stream something while working, but we stream movies at night all the time without any issues. IMO, 25 seems a bit much to force as the minimum, because a lot of people aren't going to be able to afford that.

 

After reading the article, it says the FCC is requiring all broadband connections must offer a 25Mbps download speed. I assume they're saying all must be required to offer this as the minimum, but the article just states that all must offer a 25Mbps connection.

And already there are false ad's on Facebook asking people to sign a petition against this. I wonder who is against this? Some providers perhaps? Hmmm.

 

Companies such as Netflix love the idea. Companies such as Verizon who throttle customers speeds at times among other things, don't think it's a good idea.

I think many worry about the government getting too involved, even taking over. See ObamaCare for why.

Problem is we need ways we can increase competition among ISPs and stop the Comcasts and the AT&Ts of the world from gaining so much control and power that they can completely dictate the price and internet bandwidth for the entire market. I just want it done with as little government control and involvement as possible. I want more competition and more privacy. If the government takes control, both will be gone IMO. I realize we don't have enough competition now, I realize we need ways to fix that.

I'm at 50/50, now. For $130/month I can go 300/300. If I do that, I do away with my TV connection, get USATV.com for access to the channels I want, and save $$$$ over what I pay now for both TV and internet access.

I think many worry about the government getting too involved, even taking over. See ObamaCare for why.

Problem is we need ways we can increase competition among ISPs and stop the Comcasts and the AT&Ts of the world from gaining so much control and power that they can completely dictate the price and internet bandwidth for the entire market. I just want it done with as little government control and involvement as possible. I want more competition and more privacy. If the government takes control, both will be gone IMO. I realize we don't have enough competition now, I realize we need ways to fix that.

The 3-2 vote was strictly party-line. What a surprise.

 

FCC redefines advanced broadband as 25 Mbps; Republicans blow a gasket | PCWorld

The 3-2 vote was strictly party-line. What a surprise.

 

FCC redefines advanced broadband as 25 Mbps; Republicans blow a gasket | PCWorld

TTP, I don't care what side says what, it's all politics and you know that as well as me, whether you choose to admit it or not. I don't care which side supports or rails, I don't trust either side on this. I want government out of it as much as possible.
If I'm not mistaken, Zoomtown is only around 5Mbps. I dropped it a couple years back for Insight/TWC. I recently switched to Fioptics as it became available in my neighborhood. I have 20Mbps, and it works just fine for me. It does lag at times early in the day if I stream something while working, but we stream movies at night all the time without any issues. IMO, 25 seems a bit much to force as the minimum, because a lot of people aren't going to be able to afford that.

 

After reading the article, it says the FCC is requiring all broadband connections must offer a 25Mbps download speed. I assume they're saying all must be required to offer this as the minimum, but the article just states that all must offer a 25Mbps connection.

It's UP TO 5Mbps and I ran a speed test and get nothing close to that.

Just spit-balling but streaming is the future of almost everything and I am glad the FCC is kicking everyone in the tail to get going. Otherwise, we are all going to have a bunch of great technology that doesn't work all the time because either the infrastructure isn't up to snuff and/or ISPs are playing games with their customers because they are using someone else's service. For example, you get your Net though a company that also provides TV but you like to use Netflix and Hulu. Some of those ISPs are going to mess with your connection to get you back to their service. However, if the FCC forces all ISPs to open up the bandwidth it makes it much tougher for everyone to play games at the customers expense.

 

Again, just spit-balling on this one but I like what the FCC is doing.

 

Thanks for the off the top of your head response.

 

While just a quick answer, the bolded provided me with some valuable information. I tend to agree with you, but I'm basically a moron when it comes to what this all means.

I blame Obama.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.