Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

PTSD

Featured Replies

I know that PTSD is a real thing. It is a horrible price that some of our veterans paid for their service. I've also seen it used as an excuse for their actions. Personally, my wife was told by her ex-husband that he could kill her and then say that he thought he was back in Iraq and no jury would ever convict him. It has become almost taboo to question any action by a veteran in this day and time. See the threats and vitriol towards Michael Moore (who earned it) and Seth Rogan (who only made a general observation) over the American Sniper movie. Chris Kyle was undoubtedly a hero but he was also known to stretch the truth in regards to his exploits. If a veteran claims PTSD after committing a crime or getting in trouble they tend to get a free pass in public perception. I think maybe each case needs to be looked at a little closer.

I have to wonder if the greatest generation experienced a warmer reception and friendlier and more appreciative country full of folks upon their return than the mass of ignorant jackwagons that we often see protesting and berating vets from Vietnam going forward.

 

The one and only time I had a conversation with BOTH of my grandfathers about WWII, this is the subject that they spoke about the most. My dad's dad was an Army medic who was in Normandy at D-Day+3, and my mom's dad was on the only US Navy destroyer to survive Guadalcanal.

 

Both of them think that one of the biggest things that made their jobs easier to live with was the fact that in WWII, the idea of good versus evil was so much more clear. There was no question of, "I don't know...maybe we shouldn't be getting caught up in this political war in southeast Asia" for them to consider. There was no question of, "Are there really WMD's? Is this really not about oil?" It was clear why the war was being fought, and furthermore, it was clear who the bad guy was. They were the guys wearing SS and stormtrooper uniforms, or Imperial Army BDU's, or Regio Esercito uniforms. Granted, there may have been some exceptions sometimes, but the bad guys usually were soldiers dressed as soldiers. They weren't women and children...or even people dressed as the civilians you think you're helping.

 

And no doubt, NO DOUBT, the fact that everyone came home from WWII without being called babykillers and ignorant loyalists led to the fact that, even if they had seen or committed unspeakable things, it was just that much easier to live with themselves after the fact knowing that their actions as a soldier in the midst of war weren't going to be rubbed in their face once they were home where they belonged.

It has been around with every war.

 

I have seen estimates, dating back to WWI that as many as .5% of soldiers kill themselves during duty. Most of this is based on soldier's diaries and such. There are many stories of men who just decided they couldn't take it anymore and jumped off the side of the ship at night.

 

My father told me that had he not had a wife and kids at home to take care of he would have killed himself.

 

I think in the older wars, if you made it home most men were alright. The biggest thing was that they were considered heroes. Soldiers bonded and healed each other. They made to feel proud and were supported. Not that it wasn't there, but it wasn't as bad and vets helped each other freely. They were battered mentally and physically, but they were still proud and supported each other.

 

With the Vietnam War, things became different. These men were made to feel ashamed. They didn't come home and bond and help each other. They kept it to themselves and hid it from their friends and family. A lot of them didn't want to go, and in the end were made to feel guilty by the people they were told they were protecting. So the last thing they wanted to do was talk about it, which is the most important thing you can do.

 

Soldiers helping each other is critical. Being made to feel proud for your service is critical.

 

I know many men and women from Desert Storm (and other combat missions) that did or still do suffer. I also know many that have found the peace and pride that they felt when they started.

I had a man in my congregation who was in Italy in WW II. He was never able to forgive himself for things he did in the war. Great guy who lived in great guilt all of his life. PTSD effects every war vet but differently in each case.

I haven't seen the movie, but I read Unbroken. The main character clearly describes symptoms of PTSD upon his return. I agree with what was said above. PTSD has probably always existed, but was not accepted as something real until more recent times.

My father was in Vietnam and was ambushed barely making it back alive. He had shrapnel in his legs and was sent home after 8 months in Ashaul Valley. He never talked about his time in Vietnam b u t my mother said when those soldiers came back there were a large number who turned to alcohol and drugs to numb the pain. My Dad was alcoholic due to this and she said when they dated in HS he never touched a drop. It was only when he was drafted into the military is when he started. Many of these Vietnam guys were simply cast aside and not given the proper psychological treatment they needed.

Pretty sure that's a commonly known fact, dude. Historical evidence, and such.

I'm aware, but the point is I wonder how that affects the psyche. Not if it happened.

I had a friend who was in the Vietnam War and he never spoke of it. He was one of the kindest most gentle Christian persons you would ever know. He and I were once on a golf trip riding the golf cart when the tire suddenly blew out(sounded like a shot gun went off). The friend leaped out of the cart like I didn't think was possible. I have no doubt he was experiencing a flash back. I've always had a soft spot for those guys a half generation older than myself.

I would wager you've encountered this on both sides of the badge.

 

Sorry, I missed your response.

 

Yes to answer your question, even more than I realized.

 

Dealing with only police officers, it is a dangerous job but we (police officers) accept that risk. However (and I am spit-balling here) there are probably at least two incidents a year (many more by definition but I want to stick with two major ones per year) where an average police officer either comes close with death or experiences something very traumatic. Doing some quick math most officers probably experience 50 or so major traumatic events during their career in law enforcement. @Hasbeen2

 

And just for a frame of reference, I am not counting dead bodies as major traumatic events unless it is the type where they have a gunshot to the head or were burned to death or run over by a vehicle. Those images are stuck in my brain and will never go away. My point, 50 is a low estimate because I don't want to overstate anything.

 

Finally, I couldn't imagine what most active combat soldiers go through.

Sorry, I missed your response.

 

Yes to answer your question, even more than I realized.

 

Dealing with only police officers, it is a dangerous job but we (police officers) accept that risk. However (and I am spit-balling here) there are probably at least two incidents a year (many more by definition but I want to stick with two major ones per year) where an average police officer either comes close with death or experiences something very traumatic. Doing some quick math most officers probably experience 50 or so major traumatic events during their career in law enforcement. @Hasbeen2

 

And just for a frame of reference, I am not counting dead bodies as major traumatic events unless it is the type where they have a gunshot to the head or were burned to death or run over by a vehicle. Those images are stuck in my brain and will never go away. My point, 50 is a low estimate because I don't want to overstate anything.

 

Finally, I couldn't imagine what most active combat soldiers go through.

 

I know I'll never forget some of the nasty stuff I've seen over the years at crime scenes and accident scenes. Disturbing stuff. Fortunately I've not got anywhere near 50 under my belt.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.