Holy Cross 51 Holmes 47

A couple observations from tonights "tilt".

Biggest crowd I've seen at a girls game, probably 2/3 full, at Holmes that's a healthy crowd.

Both teams left it all on the floor.....and then some.

Turnovers doomed both teams, Holmes in the 1st half, and without question Holy Cross in the 2nd half.

Ally Mayhaus was a beast, including knocking down a couple triples.

Deja Turner with 4 charging fouls against her, put her in a tough spot.

The Dawgs didn't seem to have anyone that could take charge in scoring, and too many missed "gimmes". However, their full court press would cause fits for "some" boys teams. :eek:

At times this game resembled a football game with all the contact that was taking place (bodies colliding and hitting the floor), and hardly a whistle to be heard. However, on the slightest contact you would hear it. :idunno:

Great effort by both teams and thanks for a very entertaining game.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great environment! Packed House for two very good 9th region teams. Hats off to HC on a big win...Mayhause had a great game!. Hats off To Holmes for a monster comeback #33 was particularly impressive. Shame the 9th can only send one to the sweet 16 this year.

Aside from the games at NKU last week, I would say this game had the largest crowd for any high school game this year, including boys games.

The game was a tale of two halves and Holmes just dug themselves too big of a hole. They had a couple of great looks to tie but they rolled out.

Credit Holy Cross for hanging in there.

I thought the "big game" feel had Holmes really tight early and Holy Cross's experience in the region and playing on the big stage helped them early and they were able to establish an early lead by burying some perimeter shots plus their zone forced Holmes into some rushed shots and careless turnovers.

Going forward I think Holmes had a lot of success with their 2-2-1 press in the second half and became more and more aggressive with it as Holy Cross started making longer passes. I would also think that they should look to pullup and shoot some 10 footers rather than going right into the teeth of the Holy Cross defense.

Holy Cross has 3 guards that can handle the ball plus a couple of big girls to help with pressure release.

A very entertaining game and I am still very surprised at the size of the crowd. I figured that there would be a lot of fans in attendance, but never thought it would be that full.

I was a little surprised to see Gulley sitting out late in the game. At first, I thought she had 4 fouls, but then asked my buddy and he confirmed 3. She played a nice game last night and was surprised she wasn't on the court for a lot of the 4th.