Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

How many sweet 16 appearances does your school have?

Featured Replies

Franklin County 3 times - 69, 80, 95

 

Paul Laurence Dunbar 3 times - 93, 94, 97

Hazard has dominated the 14th Region. Some of the Hazard members on here may know the exact number but I think it's around 30 times they've won the region. There's not many teams in the state that's been to the Sweet 16 more times than them.

 

The Bulldogs have also won two state championships.

Covington Holmes ~ 21

 

I could be mistaken but I actually believe Covington Holmes (combined with Covington's 8) has 22 state tournament appearances.

Anderson County 4 times I do believe. 71, 74, 97, 2009

Something I don't understand about how the KHSAA counts tournament appearances is the way Laurel County and South Laurel are counted as separate schools in the state tournament appalearances, although it's really the same school, same building, same mascot name. When they built North Laurel they simply moved half of Laurel's students to the new school, but that didn't change anything about Laurel County High. I really don't understand why they added the "South" to the name of the school. Madison Central didn't change anything when their school district added Madison Southern and moved large portion of their enrollment to the new school.

Knott Central 10, KCC is in year 40.

I count 9 times for Highlands.

Clay County, 29. Tied for #3 all-time with Hazard. Trail #1 Owensboro (42) and #2 Ashland Blazer (32).

NewCath (8)

 

53-63-66-73-74-75-84-00

Madisonville (14)

Region 2

 

38 & 39 (Coach Ray Ellis)

48 & 49 (Coach Gene Tate -- Frank Ramsey era)

52 & 53 (Coach Gene Tate)

73 & 74 (Coach Don Parson -- included Steve Ashby)

82 & 84 (Coach Don Parson -- included Joe Curry)

87, 88 & 89 (Coach Don Parson -- Travis Ford era)

2001 (Coach James Davis -- included Michael Haney)

 

Best finish: 1984 - semi-finalist. Lost to eventual champion Logan County 68-66.

Best record: 1984 32-2

I count 9 times for Highlands.

 

Knott Central 10, KCC is in year 40.

 

I don't mean to write a book but I enjoy discussing the history of our region and state basketball.

 

I've watched Knott Central at least once or twice per season since they consolidated the three schools in 1975. The county already had a great basketball tradition before the consolidation and it continued afterwards.

 

The 10 region titles you mention came in three different installments. The first run of titles were the teams following consolidation in the mid to late '70s, the first one led by Herbie Stamper, that won several.

 

Then came the several championships in the early '90s, and finally, the last run of 3, soon to be 4, straight titles beginning in 2012.

 

That's what I remember. They might have won a region in the '80s that I'm leaving out.

 

One odd fact about the Patroits though is they didn't win a region title between 1993 to 2011. That's a long drought for them that may never occur again.

 

The best player from the county that I've seen in my lifetime would be Herbie Stamper. He was fun to watch and went on to scortch the nets and star at Morehead State.

 

I never saw the Combs player from Carr Creek who played in the ABA. I later saw him on TV when he played professionally. But if he got to that level he had to be a heck of a high school player.

 

This team's Justice and Hall are great ones too. They've already sealed the seat in Knott's Hall of Fame.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.