ACC Cuts Ties With Karl Hess

TheDeuce

Reports: ACC to part ways with controversial referee Karl Hess | syracuse.com

The ACC's decision to part ways with Hess would come within a week after the long-time referee's interaction with a Wake Forest fan which included Hess directing a racial insult toward the fan.

Mit Shah, the CEO of an Atlanta-based hotel management company and former chairman of the Wake Forest University board of trustees, said that Hess used an ethnic slur toward him during Sunday's game between Wake Forest and Louisville.

The Raleigh (N.C.) News & Observer first reported that Shah had an account of the incident on Twitter. Shah said Hess told him he wanted to sit in his seat and watch Shah ref a game, calling Shah an ethnic slur.

After reading the article, let me play devils advocate and ask this. If Shah WERE Egyptian, would it still be considered a slur?

If he were French, and he said "Your French (butt)..." is that a slur? I'm asking because I want opinions and I don't know how it would be viewed if in this context.

And by the way, if anyone would have asked me who Karl Hess was before this post, I would have had no clue.

After reading the article, let me play devils advocate and ask this. If Shah WERE Egyptian, would it still be considered a slur?

If he were French, and he said "Your French (butt)..." is that a slur? I'm asking because I want opinions and I don't know how it would be viewed if in this context.

And by the way, if anyone would have asked me who Karl Hess was before this post, I would have had no clue.

IMHO, he meant it as a slur. So yes, it would still be one. Why else would he throw the nationality into it? He could have just said "I can't wait to see your (butt) out here reffing a game."

You'll still see him. He works other conferences besides the ACC. He's too connected with John Adams and the NCAA to lose his refereeing gig totally.

I think I saw him working Cincinnati's game last weekend if I'm not mistaken.

You'll still see him. He works other conferences besides the ACC. He's too connected with John Adams and the NCAA to lose his refereeing gig totally.

Could be, but I've got to think with all the pub, the conference affiliation dominoes will start falling.