November 14, 201411 yr Definitely one of my favorites and was huge in moving the program forward after the Dark Years. Agree. This game was awesome! #1 OSU with their boy, Sullinger. One of my favorite UK memories when Harrellson threw that ball off him and the determination look on his face.
November 14, 201411 yr #1 98 Duke game...by far my #1 game #2 03 Florida ranked #1 game (I was there) #3 96 Syracuse Title game...it had been 18 years for Pete's sake #4 86 Louisville Game...Rex vs the Cards #5 78 Title game...still remember running up the steps and waking my grandpa up and telling him we had won!!! #6 Meeks Game @UT #7 14 NCAA game against the Cards #8 14 NCAA Wichita St game...GREAT GAME #9 11 UNC game AD blocks Henson #10 Brandon Knight and Jorts beat OSU game Honorable Mention 96 @Notre Dame (Great Seats in a small gym)...took Father-in-law and spent time talking to Antoine Walkers HS Coach (this was 14 months before they won the title) Been to four or five UK/Florida games during the Tubby Era...all were great 92 loss to Duke...they game was CRAZY GOOD...just the last 2.1 stunk!
November 14, 201411 yr #4 86 Louisville Game...Rex vs the Cards Was really hard to keep this one off the list. I remember UK scoring in the 80's & UL the 50's, right? And Rex had close to 30 points?
November 14, 201411 yr Was really hard to keep this one off the list. I remember UK scoring in the 80's & UL the 50's, right? And Rex had close to 30 points? 85-51 and Rex went for just 26...but it was an exciting 26!
November 18, 201411 yr There was an NCAA game played in Dayton, in the 70's sometime, when UK beat a previously unbeaten Indiana team coached by Knight. I believe the score was in the area of 72-70 and I think Jimmy Dan Connor was on the UK team. The Cats were helped by the absence of IU's Scott May who had just been injured. UK did not advance much farther, as I recall. That was one of my favorites. I also liked the games in Freedom Hall over Christmas break when UK would beat the tar out of Notre Dame on a "neutral" court. The Irish had some great players who came in---Dantley, Shumate, Tripucka, et al. ---- but it seemed like UK always won. I remember Mike Pratt and Dwayne Anderson (I think his name was) having good games in the event. It didn't hurt either that Digger was the coach Top 10 UK games I have been to: 1.) The Kentucky-Indiana game in 1975 remains to this day, the greatest basketball game I have ever been to. Mideast Regional final played in the University of Dayton Arena. I figured out a while back I guess I have been to about 2000 games. Kentucky wins 92-90. There was pressure and tension in every possession. Close game throughout. It was 44-44 at the half. Scott May did play in that game, but had a cast on his broken left hand and was ineffective. Jimmy Dan Conner and Mike Flynn had great games. UK went on to lose the championship game in San Diego in UCLA coach John Wooden's final game. 2.) UK-Duke in 1992 in Philadelphia. A close second place on my list. Famous game that even young people have seen highlights of. Christian Laettner broke the Wildcat's heart. 3.) UK-Kansas in December, 1978. Darnell Valentine led Kansas came into Rupp Arena and led by seven points with less than half a minute left before Kyle Macy and Dwight "the Blur" Anderson performed their miracle. Kansas star Valentine called a timeout that the Jayhawks did not have that greatly helped Kentucky's cause. 4.) UK-Duke in 1998. In the Tropicana Dome in St. Petersburg, Florida. Big Wildcat comeback with a big shot down the stretch from Cameron Mills. 5.) UK-Michigan State played in the University of Dayton Arena in the NCAA tournament finals of the Mideast tournament in March, 1978. Kyle Macy hit some big free throws down the stretch to beat the Spartans and Earvin "Magic" Johnson. 6.) UK-Louisville in the NCAA tournament played in Knoxville, TN in 1983. Kentucky and the Twin Towers of Sam Bowie and Melvin Turpin couldn't handle the Cards and Milt Wagner and Lancaster Gordon. The Cats lost in overtime. 7.) UK-Duke in St. Louis Checkerdome National Championship 1977. The Goose was golden. 8.) UK-LSU in Rupp Arena in 1992. Rick Pitino's Cats led by Farmer, Pelphrey, and Feldhaus beat LSU with Shaq, Stanley Roberts, and Chris Jackson. 9.) UK-Arkansas in Rupp Arena in 1996. Cats championship team of 1996 beat Arkansas and Coach Nolan Richardson, Oliver Miller, Todd Day, and Lee Mayberry. The game was a war. 10.) UK-UNLV Senior Day in 1977. James Lee with an exclamation point dunk to end the game.
November 18, 201411 yr Definitely one of my favorites and was huge in moving the program forward after the Dark Years. The most unexpected win of the Cal at UK era IMO.
November 18, 201411 yr 8.) UK-LSU in Rupp Arena in 1992. Rick Pitino's Cats led by Farmer, Pelphrey, and Feldhaus beat LSU with Shaq, Stanley Roberts, and Chris Jackson. I have heard many people say that was the loudest Rupp Arena has ever been. Whether true or not, a good choice. :thumb:
November 18, 201411 yr I have heard many people say that was the loudest Rupp Arena has ever been. Whether true or not, a good choice. :thumb: Randy....I would say the LSU game in 1992 or the UNLV game in 1977 was the loudest ever at Rupp Arena. Kentucky fans were up for Jerry Tarkanian and Reggie Theus of UNLV on Senior Day for Jack Givens, Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, and James Lee.
November 18, 201411 yr Top 10 UK games I have been to: 1.) The Kentucky-Indiana game in 1975 remains to this day, the greatest basketball game I have ever been to. Mideast Regional final played in the University of Dayton Arena. I figured out a while back I guess I have been to about 2000 games. Kentucky wins 92-90. There was pressure and tension in every possession. Close game throughout. It was 44-44 at the half. Scott May did play in that game, but had a cast on his broken left hand and was ineffective. Jimmy Dan Conner and Mike Flynn had great games. UK went on to lose the championship game in San Diego in UCLA coach John Wooden's final game. 2.) UK-Duke in 1992 in Philadelphia. A close second place on my list. Famous game that even young people have seen highlights of. Christian Laettner broke the Wildcat's heart. 3.) UK-Kansas in December, 1978. Darnell Valentine led Kansas came into Rupp Arena and led by seven points with less than half a minute left before Kyle Macy and Dwight "the Blur" Anderson performed their miracle. Kansas star Valentine called a timeout that the Jayhawks did not have that greatly helped Kentucky's cause. 4.) UK-Duke in 1998. In the Tropicana Dome in St. Petersburg, Florida. Big Wildcat comeback with a big shot down the stretch from Cameron Mills. 5.) UK-Michigan State played in the University of Dayton Arena in the NCAA tournament finals of the Mideast tournament in March, 1978. Kyle Macy hit some big free throws down the stretch to beat the Spartans and Earvin "Magic" Johnson. 6.) UK-Louisville in the NCAA tournament played in Knoxville, TN in 1983. Kentucky and the Twin Towers of Sam Bowie and Melvin Turpin couldn't handle the Cards and Milt Wagner and Lancaster Gordon. The Cats lost in overtime. 7.) UK-Duke in St. Louis Checkerdome National Championship 1977. The Goose was golden. 8.) UK-LSU in Rupp Arena in 1992. Rick Pitino's Cats led by Farmer, Pelphrey, and Feldhaus beat LSU with Shaq, Stanley Roberts, and Chris Jackson. 9.) UK-Arkansas in Rupp Arena in 1996. Cats championship team of 1996 beat Arkansas and Coach Nolan Richardson, Oliver Miller, Todd Day, and Lee Mayberry. The game was a war. 10.) UK-UNLV Senior Day in 1977. James Lee with an exclamation point dunk to end the game. Great list. Except the '83 UL game did not have Sam Bowie. He was missing his second year from the leg. His absence was the difference in that game.
November 18, 201411 yr Top 10 UK games I have been to: 1.) The Kentucky-Indiana game in 1975 remains to this day, the greatest basketball game I have ever been to. Mideast Regional final played in the University of Dayton Arena. I figured out a while back I guess I have been to about 2000 games. Kentucky wins 92-90. There was pressure and tension in every possession. Close game throughout. It was 44-44 at the half. Scott May did play in that game, but had a cast on his broken left hand and was ineffective. Jimmy Dan Conner and Mike Flynn had great games. UK went on to lose the championship game in San Diego in UCLA coach John Wooden's final game. 2.) UK-Duke in 1992 in Philadelphia. A close second place on my list. Famous game that even young people have seen highlights of. Christian Laettner broke the Wildcat's heart. 3.) UK-Kansas in December, 1978. Darnell Valentine led Kansas came into Rupp Arena and led by seven points with less than half a minute left before Kyle Macy and Dwight "the Blur" Anderson performed their miracle. Kansas star Valentine called a timeout that the Jayhawks did not have that greatly helped Kentucky's cause. 4.) UK-Duke in 1998. In the Tropicana Dome in St. Petersburg, Florida. Big Wildcat comeback with a big shot down the stretch from Cameron Mills. 5.) UK-Michigan State played in the University of Dayton Arena in the NCAA tournament finals of the Mideast tournament in March, 1978. Kyle Macy hit some big free throws down the stretch to beat the Spartans and Earvin "Magic" Johnson. 6.) UK-Louisville in the NCAA tournament played in Knoxville, TN in 1983. Kentucky and the Twin Towers of Sam Bowie and Melvin Turpin couldn't handle the Cards and Milt Wagner and Lancaster Gordon. The Cats lost in overtime. 7.) UK-Duke in St. Louis Checkerdome National Championship 1977. The Goose was golden. 8.) UK-LSU in Rupp Arena in 1992. Rick Pitino's Cats led by Farmer, Pelphrey, and Feldhaus beat LSU with Shaq, Stanley Roberts, and Chris Jackson. 9.) UK-Arkansas in Rupp Arena in 1996. Cats championship team of 1996 beat Arkansas and Coach Nolan Richardson, Oliver Miller, Todd Day, and Lee Mayberry. The game was a war. 10.) UK-UNLV Senior Day in 1977. James Lee with an exclamation point dunk to end the game. Tremendous list. You went to all of those games? Wow!!! I'm definitely jealous. The two bolded happened in 1978 though. I know you know that, and was probably thinking the 1977 season which would have ended in 1978. I don't remember the Lee with the exclamation point dunk in the UNLV game, but I definitely remember one in the title game against Duke.
November 18, 201411 yr Tremendous list. You went to all of those games? Wow!!! I'm definitely jealous. The two bolded happened in 1978 though. I know you know that, and was probably thinking the 1977 season which would have ended in 1978. I don't remember the Lee with the exclamation point dunk in the UNLV game, but I definitely remember one in the title game against Duke. You are correct on the years. I do know why I have 1977 in my head. My bad!
November 18, 201411 yr #1 98 Duke game...by far my #1 game #2 03 Florida ranked #1 game (I was there) #3 96 Syracuse Title game...it had been 18 years for Pete's sake #4 86 Louisville Game...Rex vs the Cards #5 78 Title game...still remember running up the steps and waking my grandpa up and telling him we had won!!! #6 Meeks Game @UT #7 14 NCAA game against the Cards #8 14 NCAA Wichita St game...GREAT GAME #9 11 UNC game AD blocks Henson #10 Brandon Knight and Jorts beat OSU game Honorable Mention 96 @Notre Dame (Great Seats in a small gym)...took Father-in-law and spent time talking to Antoine Walkers HS Coach (this was 14 months before they won the title) Been to four or five UK/Florida games during the Tubby Era...all were great 92 loss to Duke...they game was CRAZY GOOD...just the last 2.1 stunk! This was one of the most amazing things I had ever watched. I swear Meeks could have shot from half court and the ball would go in. It was a thing of beauty to watch him single handily win that game for them!
November 18, 201411 yr One of my favorite game moments was in Dec 2001 against North Carolina when Tayshaun Prince came down and hit 5 threes in a row and that last one being nearly on the U at half court.
November 18, 201411 yr I'll tell you what my favorite game was... It goes back 22 years... As a KY fan, it breaks the heart; but I still say it was the greatest basketball game I have ever seen. Nothing else compares for the level of play by both teams, the drama and the way the game flowed.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.