Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

10 Favorite Kentucky Games All-Time

Featured Replies

To kind of piggyback off of the Louisville thread, what are your 10 favorite Kentucky game of all time?

  • Replies 36
  • Views 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of recent years, I loved when Davis blocked Henson to beat UNC at Rupp.

UK v KU 1978. Big comeback in OT.

In that LSU game, I remember Henderson and Ceasar (who played at LSU for like 20 years!) were on fire in the first half. They couldn't miss.

The game in 2011 when we beat Ohio State in the Sweet 16 is up there

There was an NCAA game played in Dayton, in the 70's sometime, when UK beat a previously unbeaten Indiana team coached by Knight. I believe the score was in the area of 72-70 and I think Jimmy Dan Connor was on the UK team. The Cats were helped by the absence of IU's Scott May who had just been injured. UK did not advance much farther, as I recall. That was one of my favorites. I also liked the games in Freedom Hall over Christmas break when UK would beat the tar out of Notre Dame on a "neutral" court. The Irish had some great players who came in---Dantley, Shumate, Tripucka, et al. ---- but it seemed like UK always won. I remember Mike Pratt and Dwayne Anderson (I think his name was) having good games in the event. It didn't hurt either that Digger was the coach

There was an NCAA game played in Dayton, in the 70's sometime, when UK beat a previously unbeaten Indiana team coached by Knight. I believe the score was in the area of 72-70 and I think Jimmy Dan Connor was on the UK team. The Cats were helped by the absence of IU's Scott May who had just been injured. UK did not advance much farther, as I recall. That was one of my favorites. I also liked the games in Freedom Hall over Christmas break when UK would beat the tar out of Notre Dame on a "neutral" court. The Irish had some great players who came in---Dantley, Shumate, Tripucka, et al. ---- but it seemed like UK always won. I remember Mike Pratt and Dwayne Anderson (I think his name was) having good games in the event. It didn't hurt either that Digger was the coach

 

Glad to see someone has memories of games prior to the 90s.

 

Your memory is solid with a few hiccups. UK beat IU in 75 when IU was undefeated. IU had crushed them earlier in the season. However, UK did indeed go on to make a run. Lost to UCLA in the championship game in Wooden's last game.

 

Good memory on Freedom Hall games. The name you're trying to remember is Dwight Anderson who was from Dayton, OH. Ended up his career at USC.

77/78 NCAA tourney. Either opener or game 2. Dayton,OH. Played Michigan State.

 

First time seeing Michigan State's 6'8 PG. Had a funny nickname. Not sure what became of him. UK won.

77/78 NCAA tourney. Either opener or game 2. Dayton,OH. Played Michigan State.

 

First time seeing Michigan State's 6'8 PG. Had a funny nickname. Not sure what became of him. UK won.

 

In 78 they played Mich State in the Mideast Regional Final. I have a button from the game from a MSU fan, "MSU is Magic."

 

The opener vs FSU is still one of the boldest coaching moves in UK history. Trailing by 7 at the half, Hall benched Rick Robey, Jack Givens, and Truman Claytor in favor of Lavon Williams, Dwayne Casey and Fred Cowan. If it backfired Hall said he knew he would be fired. Cats scrapped back and when Hall reinserted the three the deficit was one and UK pushed thru to a nine point win. Incredible guts by Hall.

Jack Givens is my neighbor, he walks his dog the same time every morning when I am taking my son to school. We always waive and I tell my son "that man dropped 41 on Duke in the 78' finals". It stills never gets old, well my son might roll his eyes on that one!

Jack Givens is my neighbor' date=' he walks his dog the same time every morning when I am taking my son to school. We always waive and I tell my son "that man dropped 41 on Duke in the 78' finals". It stills never gets old, well my son might roll his eyes on that one![/quote']

 

...and he banked a shot from the corner!

1. 1996 title game win vs. Syracuse

2. 2012 title game win vs. Kansas

3. 1998 title game win vs. Utah

4. 1993 NCAA tourney thumping of Wake Forest

5. 1998 NCAA tourney win vs. Duke

6. 2005 NCAA tourney win vs. Cincinnati

7. 2011 NCAA tourney win vs. North Carolina

8. 2011 NCAA tourney win vs. Ohio State

9. 2014 NCAA tourney win vs. Louisville

10. Anthony Davis blocks John Henson to beat North Carolina

8. 2011 NCAA tourney win vs. Ohio State

 

Definitely one of my favorites and was huge in moving the program forward after the Dark Years.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.