October 23, 201411 yr Author Let's not let Dean Smith's legacy go without being hammered. This was going on at the end of his tenure. If this were Cal the media and the NCAA would be at his door with pitch forks and torches. Yet ESPN won't even run a story on it. I understand why, but above everything else, aren't they supposed to be professional journalists?
October 24, 201411 yr How many North Carolina players does it take to change a light bulb? Only two, but they both get 3 hours credit. There are a million of 'em out there.
October 24, 201411 yr Author How many North Carolina players does it take to change a light bulb? Only two, but they both get 3 hours credit. There are a million of 'em out there. My personal favorite is "If the NCAA throws the book at them, it may be the only book they have ever seen."
October 24, 201411 yr Yet ESPN won't even run a story on it. I understand why, but above everything else, aren't they supposed to be professional journalists? Why will ESPN not run a story on it? Just because he graduated from UNC?
October 24, 201411 yr Author Why will ESPN not run a story on it? Just because he graduated from UNC? He is the head man of ESPN from what I understand. Everything probably has to run through him first. Edit: By "he" I am referring to John Skipper, the president of ESPN. He is a UNC grad. Edited October 24, 201411 yr by JDEaston
October 24, 201411 yr Dan Wetzel with a strong article. Here's an excerpt: The big picture however is clear and comes without much of a defense. Other schools do it? Blame the dumb kids? Regular students eventually heard about the scam and took the classes, too? The TV announcers always said we did it “the right way”? Dean Smith is a cool dude? M.J. went there? We have sweet blue uniforms? Whatever. Emmert has been beaten to a pulp during his time in Indianapolis and most of it was self-inflicted. Here’s his chance to punch back. This isn’t inserting himself into a scandal such as Penn State that was best left to courts of law. This isn’t repeating the tired argument over the value of amateurism. If Emmert, at 61, still has the old fire he started the job with, if he still has the belief that NCAA rules count for something, if he still believes in college sports and the good it can produce, it he still holds the confidence to walk into a fight and throw haymakers, then this is the weakling waiting to be made an example. Multi-sport postseason bans? Fines? Scholarship reductions? Death penalty? It all should be on the table. Here’s the chance for the enforcement process to be strong, authoritative and actually applauded... Because if the NCAA doesn’t stand up to that, then why would it and its president stand at all anymore? http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-unc-scandal-is-ncaa-president-mark-emmert-s-chance-at-redemption-160034290.html
October 24, 201411 yr I don't think there is a punishment that could be too harsh. This isn't a little violation of a player or two getting money for signing autographs. This isn't a NCAA violation of a recruit getting a free meal. This is Academic Fraud at it's highest! This is something that hasn't just went on for a couple players, this fraud has gone on for over 18 years!!!! Diploma's have been received with zero accountability when it comes to academics. These diplomas are about as worthless as a diploma you would find in a Cracker Jacks box. I don't think a death sentence for the basketball program would even be harsh enough, I'm talking about de-accreditation and drop the University from the NCAA all together. This isn't a joking matter, it's fraud in it's highest form plain and simple. The NCAA should drop the University from it's association period. They have not only made a mockery of college athletics, they have not only made a mockery of the "student athlete", but they have made a mockery of a college degree! Anything less than de-crediting them from the NCAA all together is too lenient. Some may think, I'm sure, That what I'm saying is too rough but I ask if that is the case, then why have accredited universities at all if you are not going to hold their standards to the fire? I haven't even gotten started on the banners that hang in their field house. As far as the Basketball Program goes, every championship they have won over the last 18 years should be stripped. The NCAA has stripped games and winning records and lesser titles for a lot less in the past, every NCAA title UNC has won the last 18 years should be stripped and those years should be vacated.
October 24, 201411 yr I don't think there is a punishment that could be too harsh. This isn't a little violation of a player or two getting money for signing autographs. This isn't a NCAA violation of a recruit getting a free meal. This is Academic Fraud at it's highest! This is something that hasn't just went on for a couple players, this fraud has gone on for over 18 years!!!! Diploma's have been received with zero accountability when it comes to academics. These diplomas are about as worthless as a diploma you would find in a Cracker Jacks box. I don't think a death sentence for the basketball program would even be harsh enough, I'm talking about de-accreditation and drop the University from the NCAA all together. This isn't a joking matter, it's fraud in it's highest form plain and simple. The NCAA should drop the University from it's association period. They have not only made a mockery of college athletics, they have not only made a mockery of the "student athlete", but they have made a mockery of a college degree! Anything less than de-crediting them from the NCAA all together is too lenient. Some may think, I'm sure, That what I'm saying is too rough but I ask if that is the case, then why have accredited universities at all if you are not going to hold their standards to the fire? I haven't even gotten started on the banners that hang in their field house. As far as the Basketball Program goes, every championship they have won over the last 18 years should be stripped. The NCAA has stripped games and winning records and lesser titles for a lot less in the past, every NCAA title UNC has won the last 18 years should be stripped and those years should be vacated. Hellbird bringing the hellfire. I agree that stripping them of their titles is a must. I have never really thought about it from a bogus degree angle but you make some valid points.
October 24, 201411 yr I heard this morning that UNC is in jeopardy if losing their accreditation as a University over this. That whoever the accreditation comes from had said that they need to offer free replacement classes to everyone that took bogus classes. Also that they would be on review as a university.
October 24, 201411 yr Mike & Mike spent almost an entire minute discussing UNC this morning. Said that it was 7 academic advisors fault and that most had already been fired. Before bringing up UNC they mentioned FSU and a scandal at Syracuse. Then just glossed over UNC. Maybe its not a ESPN coverup, maybe they just dont want to kill Stewart Scott.
October 24, 201411 yr Couple of things: 1. What is AFRAM or AFRI? Like what type of class is that? MKTG=marketing. BUS=business, etc. 2. Every university gears their athletes towards easier courses and degrees for eligibility purposes, but there is a huge difference between steering them towards easier but still legitimate courses and steering them towards courses that essentially don't exist except on paper. Not only that, but it appears this was larger than just an athletic issue which is a HUGE deal. People out there with UNC degrees right now are getting the same pay as people who EARNED the degree with ALL of the requirements.
October 24, 201411 yr Couple of things: 1. What is AFRAM or AFRI? Like what type of class is that? MKTG=marketing. BUS=business, etc. African / AfroAmerican studies I believe.
October 24, 201411 yr I heard this morning that UNC is in jeopardy if losing their accreditation as a University over this. That whoever the accreditation comes from had said that they need to offer free replacement classes to everyone that took bogus classes. Also that they would be on review as a university. That is the first thing I thought of when I heard it wasn't just athletes enrolling in bogus classes but apparently over 3100 students. 49% were student athletes that means 51% were regular students making up these classes. That is why I think they should lose their accreditation. There are people going broke trying to pay for their college tuition and busting their butts taking legitimate classes and trying to maintain GPA's and getting their degree's and then there is UNC where they will hand anyone a fake diploma. It's a joke and they should lose their accreditation period.
October 24, 201411 yr That is the first thing I thought of when I heard it wasn't just athletes enrolling in bogus classes but apparently over 3100 students. 49% were student athletes that means 51% were regular students making up these classes. That is why I think they should lose their accreditation. There are people going broke trying to pay for their college tuition and busting their butts taking legitimate classes and trying to maintain GPA's and getting their degree's and then there is UNC where they will hand anyone a fake diploma. It's a joke and they should lose their accreditation period. What governing body is responsible for this action?
October 24, 201411 yr What governing body is responsible for this action? I'm not an expert but if I remember correctly colleges/universities can receive their accreditation from a few different places. The majority of state schools all use the same thing. North Carolina is accredited by Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges. U.S. Department of Education Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.