16th Region All-Tournament

i wasn't bashing anyone, if anyone i would never bash a kid, i see where anyone could of gotten that. Bashing the Daily Independent, yes. They should make a point to give every star "spotlight" on every team. I mean Ashland is the target because thats the school that the players get "spotlight" just because they play there. Daily Independent, Mark Maynard puts a piece in the Cats Pause. These things add up.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasn't bashing anyone, if anyone i would never bash a kid, i see where anyone could of gotten that. Bashing the Daily Independent, yes. They should make a point to give every star "spotlight" on every team. I mean Ashland is the target because thats the school that the players get "spotlight" just because they play there. Daily Independent, Mark Maynard puts a piece in the Cats Pause. These things add up.

If you weren't bashing the kids, then I apologize for misreading your intent.

ALL of the kids in the 16th need a "lift", and this board is as good a place to get them some ink as anywhere else. :thumb:

Frances

16th Region All-Tournament Selections

M.V.P. J.Ferguson-Elliott

M.Daniel- Rowan

K©. Jones- West Carter

T.Wolfenbarker- Greenup

C.Black- Fairview

J.Hutchinson- Fairview (also Defensive Player Of Tourney)

S.Gill-Russell

Evan Faulkner-Elliott

A.Blair-Russell

R.Weddington-Elliott

J.Vanhoose-Russell

D.McDavid-Ashland Blazer

All these players are good, more than half of them almost never got recognition like weddington, (faulkners), ferguson, wolfenbarker, jones, daniel, hutchinson. You can't say they been sleepers, they can play and should get more recognition.

Excellent idea about looking forward to AAU and I am looking forward to seeing some these players back in town. I did have a great discussion with some colleagues of mine in Lexington. We just need to face the facts, the 16th is way down. It did not matter that Ferguson got MVP, NO ONE TAKES IT SERIOUSLY ANYWAYS. As many folks have stated, only in the 16th region can freshman get a chance to play. No way does a 6'0" or 6'1" forward freshman play in towns like Lexington. In any case, Kentucky talent is down overall big time. No real major recruits. Walt Allen, a very likeable guy, does not make any all-state teams here in Ohio. That's not being biased, that is being factual. You have to take what is being said about the 16th with a grain-of-salt, afterall, the rest of the Kentucky is.

Nick Hudson started for Paul Dunbar this year.

Darren Ballou started for Adair County this year.

Matt Clevengar started for Pikeville this year.

Jacob Jenkins got quailty minutes for Louisville Manual this year.

Keyshawn Simpson got quality minutes for Madison Central this year.

Josh Crawford started for Corbin this year.

Tate Cox started for June Buchnan AS AND 8TH GRADER this year.

Russ Middleton started for Mason County this year.

Zach Lewis got quality mintues at Clay County this year.

Ridge Wilson got quality mintues at Louisville Central this year.

Ty Perkins started for Pulaski County this year.

Nick Fudge started for Adair County this year.

Notice that two of these teams played in the state tournament(Madison Central, Mason County)and both teams advanced past the first round. So is the 16th region the only region that freshman get to play?:sssh:

PG,

you expressed concern that Ashland kids were the only ones getting publicity, or the most, and how that effects college opportunities.

I was just thinking in terms of football over the last several years and I believe the other area schools have had a great # of kids get a college opportunity - relative to Ashland. Kids from Lawrence Co, East Carter, Raceland to major D1's and plenty to some smaller colleges from Boyd, etc.

(sorry for a incomplete short list guys - perhaps someone else could do better).

Perhaps you need to direct your ire at your schools coaches - thats a huge factor in terms of kids getting a look, etc.

I think the DI has been doing a pretty good job of promoting all of the area kids. Witness the SEVERAL area schools represented in the KY-TN football series lately. Also this past year is maybe the best representation E.KY has ever had on the AP all-state football team.

So perhaps your school hasnt faired as well as you wish, but there are a lot of factors that go into it; academics, exposure to teams(& other coaches) OUTSIDE of your particular area, other kids/adults from your circle with experience in the recruitment "game", and so forth.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Woody Jr

Ok lets say he does deserve the credit. Where is all the credit for the other kids that also play their hearts out and are true basketball players that can make it to the next level but never got an opportunity. I am stating kids from almost any team in the 16th region at some point had a player in the top 100 in the state and the player didn't make it because its all about recognition. Morgan Co. has produced a lot of players that should be playing in college in recent years, east carter, greenup co., boyd co., russell, possibly rowan co. and maybe other players i can't think of. If the players from those schools played for Ashland they would of got a lot more recognition and get a chance to play in college. Daily Independent should advertise all players in the 16th region to help all players out to get them to the next level, education, etc. I feel there is a more than slight favoritism toward Ashland players

WOW:banana:

All those kids have to do is move to Ashland!!! :rolleyes:

YOU really can't be serious. I guess I can see what your saying about the news paper, but at the same time its located in Ashland and I really believe they do their best to cover all of the "local" teams. Should a news paper in Ashland be required to cover teams in Rowan, Morgan, or Elliott Counties???

To be honest "IF" a kid has the ability to play at the next level its on the coach's shoulders to find him/her a place to play and not the media. So start looking toward the inside of your program instead of pointing fingers:sssh:

Morgan County will never complain about exposure...they get A LOT of it and in the past 5 seasons I know of...Morgan County has received more statewide recognition than ANY team (excluding the two season of Rose Hill and O.J. Mayo) within the 16th region.

They are covered thoroughly on WKYT-TV Channel 27 with game highlights and stories....WYMT-TV Channel 57 the same feed from 27 went to them and Brian Milam gave the Cougars big props for many years and finished the regular season in the mountain top 10 (#2 actually, behind South Laurel). In addition, the Cougars have had many articles in the Lexington Herald-Leader from their play to their academics that were well chronicled in 2003.

Furthermore, the Cougars were ranked nationally in Eddie Olivers super 500 teams (166th out of 500) during the 24-7 year of 2003. Morgan County's Coach Matthew Perry was Associated Press runner-up Coach of the Year in Kentucky to Seneca's Tony Branch the year Morgan CO. went to the state tournament. The Cougars have received AP votes the past few seasons, including the recent 2006 campaign.

Colleges are very aware of Cougar players as a variety of video, statistics, and bio's have been sent across the nation on players behalf...the videography of WKYT's David Patrick has helped tremendously. Morgan Co. makes it a priority to get the word out to colleges regarding their kids.

Lastly, I think Morgan Co. has received such great recognition (Including the Ashland Daily) not only on what they've done, but how they have done it. With kids that respect the game of basketball....officials enjoy working their games because you never see the players over react on calls, trash talk, or cause trouble on the court. I think overall the 16th is far ahead of other regions with regard of "respectability" of the game of basketball...many great rivalries, but you don't hear of fighting on the court, in the stands, etc. like other places close by...the kids, coaches, and fans really respect each other and it shows.

So in review, Morgan Co. I don't think would ever feel slighted in terms of exposure. They have received thier fair share of positive exposure over the years, from media stories to putting their kids names out to colleges, I would suspect they are satisfied. As far as kids taking the collegiate offers, that is up to the them.....Many kids have had the "opportunity" to play collegiately...some take it and some retire, that is their decision...but they do get a great opportunity.

Rose Hill's girls received an incredible amount of coverage from the DI all season and especially during their tournament run. No complaints here about the press coverage.

I think Onetoya is right on the money with his last statement.

Rose Hill's girls received an incredible amount of coverage from the DI all season and especially during their tournament run. No complaints here about the press coverage.

I think Onetoya is right on the money with his last statement.

:thumb: There is only one DI printed each day, and in that paper there is limited space for each story. So, since the paper is located in Ashland and very close to Boyd Co., Russell, Raceland, and Greenup it is only natural that those teams get more coverage. Its more an issue of geography and location that favortism. You wouldnt expect the New York Times to run daily features on the Cincinnati Reds would you??

Correct...I think the ADI does a terrific job in their coverage of Morgan Co. and they are at the far SOUTH end with some but little routes in the area...some people have/get the ADI here, but not as much as the counties to north and east.

The DI is in business to make a profit, by selling newspapers, to sell more newspapers, they give their subscribers what they want to read about, kids in the areas where most of the subscribers are located.

If I were from Lexington, I would feel very slighted by the DI

but I dont think its a diabolical plot, its a matter of economics, with the decline in newspaper sales with the advent of the internet, we are lucky to get the coverage we get. Ten years from now, we may not have any newspaper to bash. I think the DI does a great job with what they have to work with:thumb:

Morgan County will never complain about exposure...they get A LOT of it and in the past 5 seasons I know of...Morgan County has received more statewide recognition than ANY team (excluding the two season of Rose Hill and O.J. Mayo) within the 16th region.

They are covered thoroughly on WKYT-TV Channel 27 with game highlights and stories....WYMT-TV Channel 57 the same feed from 27 went to them and Brian Milam gave the Cougars big props for many years and finished the regular season in the mountain top 10 (#2 actually, behind South Laurel). In addition, the Cougars have had many articles in the Lexington Herald-Leader from their play to their academics that were well chronicled in 2003.

Furthermore, the Cougars were ranked nationally in Eddie Olivers super 500 teams (166th out of 500) during the 24-7 year of 2003. Morgan County's Coach Matthew Perry was Associated Press runner-up Coach of the Year in Kentucky to Seneca's Tony Branch the year Morgan CO. went to the state tournament. The Cougars have received AP votes the past few seasons, including the recent 2006 campaign.

Colleges are very aware of Cougar players as a variety of video, statistics, and bio's have been sent across the nation on players behalf...the videography of WKYT's David Patrick has helped tremendously. Morgan Co. makes it a priority to get the word out to colleges regarding their kids.

Lastly, I think Morgan Co. has received such great recognition (Including the Ashland Daily) not only on what they've done, but how they have done it. With kids that respect the game of basketball....officials enjoy working their games because you never see the players over react on calls, trash talk, or cause trouble on the court. I think overall the 16th is far ahead of other regions with regard of "respectability" of the game of basketball...many great rivalries, but you don't hear of fighting on the court, in the stands, etc. like other places close by...the kids, coaches, and fans really respect each other and it shows.

So in review, Morgan Co. I don't think would ever feel slighted in terms of exposure. They have received thier fair share of positive exposure over the years, from media stories to putting their kids names out to colleges, I would suspect they are satisfied. As far as kids taking the collegiate offers, that is up to the them.....Many kids have had the "opportunity" to play collegiately...some take it and some retire, that is their decision...but they do get a great opportunity.

Absolutely excellent post, Nets. Excellent. I'm glad to hear that the coaching staff does such an top notch job of promoting their players.

Frances