March 7, 200620 yr Lets say that an 8th grader who starts for the local county high school basketball team has to move across the state due to a job transfer for his father. How long before he can play varsity basketball again? What if he was a freshman?
March 7, 200620 yr Lets say that an 8th grader who starts for the local county high school basketball team has to move across the state due to a job transfer for his father. How long before he can play varsity basketball again? What if he was a freshman? I think if there is a move, the transfer rule overrides this rule. In your example, there would be no restirctions.
March 7, 200620 yr All I can say is "I told you so." I just wish I could find the thread where I posted that all this was going to happen! Must have gotten lost in the new changes. I'm not saying I'm for all these changes, just reminding you that I was correct about 3 months ago on this issue. (all pats on the back accepted...LOL)
March 7, 200620 yr I keep seeing a midget galloping around on a horse/broom and "Shooter" kissing my Grandmother, then my wife.:irked: As long as you don't have to imagine that happy place in a restroom stall at a roadside gas station.....what movie is that from? One of the greatest comedies of all time.
March 7, 200620 yr Now, maybe my suggestion doesn't seem so harsh. Every kid that transfers, regardless of reason, sits one year...PERIOD. That removes all loopholes, etc and requires no policing by the KHSAA as it is cut and dry.
March 7, 200620 yr Now, maybe my suggestion doesn't seem so harsh. Every kid that transfers, regardless of reason, sits one year...PERIOD. That removes all loopholes, etc and requires no policing by the KHSAA as it is cut and dry.This option would still punish kids unfairly in the vast majority of cases. Why make them sit at all? Give everyone one transfer with no penalties and you would achieve the same removal of loopholes and reduce the need for policing by the KHSAA. The hurdle here is adults with control issues. If the real problem is illegal recruiting by coaches, ADs or others, then crack down on them, not the kids.
March 7, 200620 yr This is unbelievable and truly a bad bad thing for the kids, which is what I assumed this was all about.
March 7, 200620 yr This is unbelievable and truly a bad bad thing for the kids, which is what I assumed this was all about. Slight correction. Some kids. For my kids, living in a rural community with only one MS and one HS in the county with no private school as a choice, it does not affect them in the least.
March 7, 200620 yr I noticed in the CJ that it was reported that "Feeder Patterns" of middle schools would be determined. Any significance of this wording?
March 7, 200620 yr Slight correction. Some kids. For my kids, living in a rural community with only one MS and one HS in the county with no private school as a choice, it does not affect them in the least. As I understand it, if your community has a parish school, which many small communities do, the kids from that parish school would have to either commute to a large city for high school or sit out.
March 7, 200620 yr Author Board endorses transfer penalty Public schools can draw from affiliated public schools, and from school systems with which they have non-resident student agreements. I assume this could possibly take care of the kids going from Private to Public?
March 7, 200620 yr This option would still punish kids unfairly in the vast majority of cases. Why make them sit at all? Give everyone one transfer with no penalties and you would achieve the same removal of loopholes and reduce the need for policing by the KHSAA. The hurdle here is adults with control issues. If the real problem is illegal recruiting by coaches, ADs or others, then crack down on them, not the kids. The problem isn't so much with the coaches, AD's, et al. These people are too smart, in most cases, to go out and blatantly recruit kids. The real problem lies with the boosters. Those with no real association with the school. When these outsiders get involved, it is impossible to eliminate the problem, just ask the NCAA. I will agree that the real hurdle is with adults. However, I believe it has more to do with adults who are more interested in bringing home the next championship as opposed to adults with "control issues." One transfer without penalty might be an option, but there will always be someone out there claiming it isn't fair.
March 7, 200620 yr Author KHSAA assistant commissioner Julian Tackett told the board that a two-year penalty "appears to be fairly unprecedented" nationally. I wonder if the BOC will examine that aspect of the proposal? Somerset superintendent Wilson Sears said it is wrong to call it a two-year penalty. "It's really one-and-one," he said. "The normal progression for children coming into high school is to play freshman, JV, varsity. Call it what it is, Mr. Sears, not your prettied-up version of the truth.
March 7, 200620 yr Call it what it is, Mr. Sears, not your prettied-up version of the truth. :thumb: :thumb: Someone needs to tell our "educational leaders" that 1+1=2.
March 7, 200620 yr The whole thing is silly and does not help any of the people it should, the kids. It also adds another layer of bureaucracy to the KHSAA. They have trouble policing their own by-laws as it is. Now, the KHSAA is going to also have to police who "feeder" schools are, and where these kids went to school in the 6th grade.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.