Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KHSAA board approves public-private measures

Featured Replies

I've got one for you Thomam...

 

How would any of you feel if the state passed legislation requiring you to buy all your groceries at the one grocery store nearest your home… and nowhere else?

 

“No fair” you say… “the big SuperDuperKrogerama is across the boundary in another enforced “Loyalty Zone” they’ve got better stuff at better prices.”

 

Then the state passes legislation requiring that as of next August, you must buy all your clothing at certain stores specified by the state within a limited driving radius from your home?

 

“No fair” you say… “the big shopping mall is across the boundary in another enforced “Loyalty Zone” they’ve got more to choose from.”

 

“Tough” say the enforcers, “we have to make sure every retailer is getting a fair slice of the pie.”

 

“Fine,” you say, “I’ll just go and shop there any way.”

 

“We can’t guard you 24/7” say the enforcers, “but if we catch you, you will not be allowed to eat the food or wear the clothes you buy outside of your Loyalty Zone for a whole year.”

 

I could go on, but you get my point. Does this even remotely sound like something we would or should tolerate in America?

It sounds like something that is done alot in this country.

 

KEES money for KY high school students can only be used at KY colleges. So if they get accepted into Yale, Harvard, etc, it is go there and possibly pay thousands of dollars while giving up thousands of dollars from the state, or don't attend and be able to use your KEES money.

 

Zoning laws will tell you what businesses you can put where. I believe it was Fort Wright in NKY that fought against a Walmart being located in their neighborhood for several years.

  • Replies 241
  • Views 23.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
It would be interesting to see if this proposal would have passed the voting delegates in October.

 

I lean towards thinking it would have failed as the others did and Prop 20 would still be the option by the majority to 2/3's of the delegates.

 

I've said all along that I find the fact that the proposals that addressed individual issues were delayed, and the fact that Prop 20 was moved straight to the top for the vote, was more telling than anything about the intentions of those who support this.

The more I’ve thought about all this, the more it stinks… badly.

 

Here's a very simple what if...

 

What if a private middle schooler's parents hit a tight spot financially and determine that tuition is an expense they must cut to make ends meet?

 

Is it fair for that kid to have to sit out two years of high school competition for reasons completely beyond his/her control?

 

What if that kid is blessed with significant athletic skills, and his best option for getting into a good college is via an athletic scholarship? Would not his chances be considerably limited by this extremely punitive rule?

 

There are dozens of other scenarios that could all be legally defended on many grounds.

 

If the KHSAA is foolish enough to go down this path, they will spend many more dollars defending their decision than they currently spend enforcing their existing rules. (And I for one would hope they lose their shirts.)

 

If adults are the problem, (boosters, administrators, coaches, ADs, etc.) find an appropriate way to punish the adult offenders. Do not punish minors who just want to (and deserve to be able to) play ball.

 

 

My thoughts exactly zoolander....one more to think about....

What if the kid really isn't that great of an athlete but just wants to be apart of his school's team?

It sounds like something that is done alot in this country.

 

KEES money for KY high school students can only be used at KY colleges. So if they get accepted into Yale, Harvard, etc, it is go there and possibly pay thousands of dollars while giving up thousands of dollars from the state, or don't attend and be able to use your KEES money.

 

Zoning laws will tell you what businesses you can put where. I believe it was Fort Wright in NKY that fought against a Walmart being located in their neighborhood for several years.

My analogy is somewhat different that what you outline here, but are you suggesting that any of this is the right thing to do?
My analogy is somewhat different that what you outline here, but are you suggesting that any of this is the right thing to do?

Not necessarily suggesting it is the right thing to do, just saying things similar in nature while not exact in nature, occur all the time to support/prop up certain groups of people/businesses/careers.

 

Should farmers get paid to NOT GROW certain crops so that the price markets can be propped up? We did that for YEARS and still may do it. We tell farmers "hey we will pay you to not work."

For a while, I thought I might know who you are Zoolander, but you’re making so much sense here, I’m not so sure now… :lol:

 

My thoughts exactly zoolander....one more to think about....

What if the kid really isn't that great of an athlete but just wants to be apart of his school's team?

Good point Tony... I'll see your what if and raise you one... :D

 

Why do we not make the same fuss about academically gifted kids transferring to a school that might provide them better opportunities? By attracting academically gifted kids with no penalties attached to transfers, the receiving schools perform better in their overall test scores, meet and exceed program goals and receive increased funding. Why is no one suggesting that these transfers should sit out of the standardized tests for a season or two?

 

Why do we not make the same commotion over musically gifted kids transferring to a school with a better band program. Why is no one suggesting that they sit out a season of marching band following a transfer?

 

If this is really about the kids and what is fair, why do athletics fall under such extreme scrutiny?

 

I think I know the answer, but I’m interested in the opinions of others.

I've said all along that I find the fact that the proposals that addressed individual issues were delayed, and the fact that Prop 20 was moved straight to the top for the vote, was more telling than anything about the intentions of those who support this.

I just am not sure.

 

If this "compromise" was put to a vote like the vote occurred in October, I would not be shocked to see it defeated and Prop 20 voted back into place.

 

I don't think this addresses the concerns of many, many schools. It does address the concerns of urban and suburban schools but not rural schools.

For a while, I thought I might know who you are Zoolander, but you’re making so much sense here, I’m not so sure now… :lol:

 

Good point Tony... I'll see your what if and raise you one... :D

 

Why do we not make the same fuss about academically gifted kids transferring to a school that might provide them better opportunities? By attracting academically gifted kids with no penalties attached to transfers, the receiving schools perform better in their overall test scores, meet and exceed program goals and receive increased funding. Why is no one suggesting that these transfers should sit out of the standardized tests for a season or two?

 

Why do we not make the same commotion over musically gifted kids transferring to a school with a better band program. Why is no one suggesting that they sit out a season of marching band following a transfer?

 

If this is really about the kids and what is fair, why do athletics fall under such extreme scrutiny?

 

I think I know the answer, but I’m interested in the opinions of others.

To quote Cuba Gooding, Jr.

"Show me the $$$$"

 

And that is aimed at both publics and privates.

 

I would also add, some parents feel it is very important that their child have a lot of trophies to put on the mantle in their living rooms.

Not necessarily suggesting it is the right thing to do, just saying things similar in nature while not exact in nature, occur all the time to support/prop up certain groups of people/businesses/careers.

 

Should farmers get paid to NOT GROW certain crops so that the price markets can be propped up? We did that for YEARS and still may do it. We tell farmers "hey we will pay you to not work."

I hear you, but I am saying that this type of thinking and actions only leads to mutually assured mediocrity. Instead of understanding what excellent programs do to become excellent, and then mimicking their practices in order to also achieve success, this type of thinking seems to be more focused upon punishing success and watering down the excellent to ensure that everyone is equally mediocre.

 

Life does not grade on the curve.

 

Jealousy, envy, covetousness and greed are not becoming traits upon which to build.

For a while, I thought I might know who you are Zoolander, but you’re making so much sense here, I’m not so sure now… :lol:

Thanks, I think? :creepy:

 

 

 

 

 

 

:D

I hear you, but I am saying that this type of thinking and actions only leads to mutually assured mediocrity. Instead of understanding what excellent programs do to become excellent, and then mimicking their practices in order to also achieve success, this type of thinking seems to be more focused upon punishing success and watering down the excellent to ensure that everyone is equally mediocre.

 

Life does not grade on the curve.

 

Jealousy, envy, covetousness and greed are not becoming traits upon which to build.

I agree with what you are saying but your point was does this sound like something that we want in America and my rebuttal was that it happens all the time now.

 

Everything you mentioned above DOES occur today.

 

Certain population groups, based on gender, race or age, do get a grading curve.

 

It happens a lot in our country. Right or wrong is not what I am saying but it was happening.

To quote Cuba Gooding, Jr.

"Show me the $$$$"

 

And that is aimed at both publics and privates.

 

I would also add, some parents feel it is very important that their child have a lot of trophies to put on the mantle in their living rooms.

That ($$$$) is a significant motivating factor in my premise.

 

The fact that "some parents feel it is very important that their child have a lot of trophies to put on the mantle in their living rooms" is exactly why kids today get trophies just for being on their Tee-Ball team, and their soccer team, and their Upward Bound basketball team... whether they ever got a hit, scored a goal or won a game.

 

My dad sent over a box of my old trophies a few years ago. My sons and I had a big time as we laughed and they expressed amazement over the quantity (lack thereof) and the size of my old awards. I did not have one trophy for simply being a member of a team. I had two state championship trophies in the box, and several city, league and regional trophies, all were smaller than the trophies each of my sons had received for just being on various teams.

 

They started to believe that I might have really walked five miles through blizzards while fighting timber wolves with my bare hands just to get to school. (I lost ‘em on the uphill both ways part though… :lol:)

 

My point is that times and expectations have definitely changed in just 30 years, and I’m not convinced that many of these changes have been for the better.

Thanks, I think? :creepy:

 

 

 

 

 

 

:D

It's all good Bro... :thumb:
It's all good Bro... :thumb:

 

 

Don't be so sure.:D

Noone on here has discussed yet that ultimately this issue will go to the state Dept. of Education again, and that we have just appointed 4 (6?) brand new members to the Board. They are being interrogated/confirmed as we speak. These folks may have completely different thoughts about the issue, and may very well blow it out of the water.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.