Little League: More Positive or Negative?

I've had several discussions over the years about this topic, from a couple different angles; and, I wanted to get everybody's topic (especially those who might coach at the MS/HS levels or have in the past).

1) I've heard from a couple coaches who happen to be on the All-Time wins list that, tackle football shouldn't be until kids reach middle school for the following reason: Injury and/or getting gun shy. Case in point: Little Johnny is 7 and weighs 50 pounds soak and wet, and get blasted by Big Johnny...same age and 25+ pounds heavier. Little J gets popped just ONE GOOD TIME, and he is done for life. Forget football. I'm playing soccer, golf, baseball, basketball and that's it.

2) Is not being coached at all, better than being taught bad habits from the time you are 5-12, then they get to MS/HS and those habits have to be corrected. Or is it better to take that kid who has never played a snap, and you have a clean slate to work with?

This is by NO MEANS a slap to those who coach in youth leagues. None (personally, I don't know how those of you that coach at these levels do it. It makes me think, "So, this is what cat herding is like?" To those of you that do, you are to be saluted). But, I don't think I'm wrong here in assuming that a good majority of LL coaches are those who are have very limited to no experience either playing/coaching. I mean, I see and know a lot of guys who are coaching LL teams (and, it's not just in football..but, basketball and baseball).....who I know for an absolute fact have zero experience playing/coaching. Or maybe they do, yet have little knowledge of the correct fundamentals?

What's everybody think? Does the contact at an early age more of a negative? Are these young kids who are getting coached by somebody(s) who has little knowledge of the game (fundamentals) a negative? Would it be better to not play at all vs. getting coached wrong for what are very crucial years?

I can attest to little Johnny getting popped at 7 and not wanting to play. That's my kid's football experience. He only plays basketball now.

I think the best little leagues are the ones in which their local high school(s) coaches have a hands-on relationship with one another. The proper fundamentals are the most important thing IMO because when they get to middle school and on to high school the coaching staffs lose valuable time having to teach kids the proper fundamentals for the first time. When kids get to middle school or high school they should be ready to go. I also like when little leagues and middle schools are running high school plays as well. That's a win-win for everybody.

Edited by PurplePride92

I can attest to little Johnny getting popped at 7 and not wantong to play. That's my kid's football experience. He only plays basketball now.

I think the best little leagues are the one's in which their local high school(s) coaches have a hands-on relationship with one another. The proper fundamentals are the most important thing IMO because when theyget to middle school ro high schol the coaching staffs lose valuable time having to teach kids the proper fundamentals for the first time. When kids get to middle school or high school they should be ready to go. I also like when little leagues and middle schools are running high school plays as well. That's a win-win for everybody.

Totally agree on both.

As for the hands on, I will say this...I think there is only so much that those coaches can do, too in terms of hands on (from a time aspect and the HS coaches just have to hope that the LL coaches are doing what's taught to them...and, not doing their own thing. Not necessarily in games, but in practice).

If you go to a little league practice and you see 30-45 minutes of fundamentals being taught (blocking, tackling) before they go to team then they are doing the right thing. If you go to a practice and they run plays for 2+ hours and are teaching their LBs to blitz every play they are doing the wrong thing.

If you go to a little league practice and you see 30-45 minutes of fundamentals being taught (blocking, tackling) before they go to team then they are doing the right thing. If you go to a practice and they run plays for 2+ hours and are teaching their LBs to blitz every play they are doing the wrong thing.

Agreed.

Personally, I think if you go to a LL practice and see them practicing for 2 hours, it's probably the wrong thing.