August 4, 201412 yr After reading all 3 pages of this dreck all I can say is that there are still people that need to put on their big boy pants a grow a set. While as a Trinity fan I appreciate the shout out let's be perfectly clear Trinity has been forced to play the schedule they do because most schools in the state haven't accomplished the first sentence yet. IT IS NOT A TEAMS RESPONSIBILITY TO SALVAGE THE SELF ESTEEM OF THEIR OPPONENT!!!!! IT IS A TEAMS RESPONSIBILITY TO STOP THE OTHER TEAM FROM SCORING!!!! That said how laughable is it that there is a 3 page thread about a game that happened 15 years ago?
August 4, 201412 yr Flash back one more year to 1997. Mueller repeatedly pulls his starters even in playoff games, then loses in double or triple overtime in the playoffs with a bunch of guys who are accustomed to playing less than half a game. After that experience I would have instituted the one series into the second half rule and stuck with it. What this all boils down to is that one of the best offenses in the history of KY football scored a bunch of points. It didn't matter who you put in front of them, they were going to score. They put 55 on the best 4A team. Why is it surprising that they would score a bunch against a struggling D w/ a new coach/ system, attempting two platoon for the 1st time, and unprepared for a spread offense in scheme and personnel. How does anybody have a problem with a team throwing the football up 28 - 0?
August 4, 201412 yr Guru and mods are still searching the archives but I'm sure this is a record for most posts from a game 16 years ago.
August 4, 201412 yr Guru and mods are still searching the archives but I'm sure this is a record for most posts from a game 16 years ago. I would have thought the mud bowl earned that honor.
August 4, 201412 yr No excuse for anyone running up the score on another team. No excuse for Campbell not stopping them either. I vote we keep the threads to items in this century.
August 4, 201412 yr Author Guru and mods are still searching the archives but I'm sure this is a record for most posts from a game 16 years ago. No BGP back then, so these are all original posts. I'm using my 14.4 modem and Compuserve account to make it more realistic.
August 4, 201412 yr Not only don't I believe you - I know who was the coach and the situation. Check any scoreboard you want. It was Corsen's first season - Goetz left to become Asst Principal at Newport in 1998. Maybe you need to check facts before not only posting erroneous information but also hating on people. Goetz's teams played the Birds pretty tough on several occasions - including the year prior when the Birds scored on a kickoff return with 3 minutes left to eek out a 25-19 victory. Like I said earlier, this score was a function of Corsen's two platoon system at a school not ready to platoon. The Camels were completely overmatched with the kids they put on the field. Not hating on the guy. I don't know him. I Just wasn't impressed with his football philosophy. The khsaa site lists him as Campbell's coach in 1998. They could have it wrong, but I believe the site over your memory.
August 4, 201412 yr Not hating on the guy. I don't know him. I Just wasn't impressed with his football philosophy. The khsaa site lists him as Campbell's coach in 1998. They could have it wrong, but I believe the site over your memory. He wasn't the coach there in '98. His final season was '97.
August 4, 201412 yr Highlands blowouts are about as news-worthy as the Kardashians. And I've been on the receiving end of them more than once...I even was back in 1998. You don't see me starting threads about it though. You take your lumps, learn your lessons, and commit yourself to improving. Highlands often outmatches their competition. Is it their fault? No. They field an absolute top-notch team year after year. There are the district matchups that they HAVE to play, and there is the rest of the season that they have to fill out, regardless of whether or not there are "good" teams willing to play, or "good" teams whose schedules are copacetic with theirs. Coaches HAVE to get their starters playing time in games, and DECENT playing time. Why? Because they need to keep their players up to snuff with the challenges brought forth in real gameplay situations. In Highlands' situation, they also have an obligation to keep their starters on the field long enough for scouts to get a real look at them playing in actual games. (Highlands had two D1 players in 1998, the season in reference.) Game play is important to developing players. How is Highlands supposed to expect to compete against the St. X's, Colerains, and Elders that inevitably make their way onto their schedule if their starters are getting pulled without playing more than 15 minutes worth of each game? As mcpapa said, "any score before halftime is fair game. Call off the dogs at the break."
August 4, 201412 yr CWB must be turning into a closet cake lover! Shhhh....your secret is safe with me! Go Birds! :angrybird12:
August 4, 201412 yr As mcpapa said, "any score before halftime is fair game. Call off the dogs at the break." Actually, mex makes a very valid point about leaving starters in into the third quarter... I disagree. You call off the dogs after your offense and defense get one series each in the second half and you play to score and stop the other team. Games like this are unfortunate, but you have to look long term. I want my guys to get in the habit of starting the 2nd half strong so that they are ready when it is a tighter game.
August 4, 201412 yr CWB must be turning into a closet cake lover! Shhhh....your secret is safe with me! Go Birds! :angrybird12: Man, talk about reading too far into things... :lol2: By the way, how was it that Highlands is the only school in the state that has their own Emoji on BluegrassPreps???
August 4, 201412 yr CWB must be turning into a closet cake lover! Shhhh....your secret is safe with me! Go Birds! :angrybird12: He is. You should see his reasoning in the 4A rankings thread about where Collins should be ranked. He says Collins should be ranked ahead of CovCath, Boyle and LexCath because they are the defending champs and return 10 of 23 starters. Funny though, they defeated Highlands in the championship game but he sure wouldn't rank them above Highlands. Matter of fact, I think he is an honorary cake eater at this point. I guess we know what color blue Colonels_Wear_Blue is wearing now don't we? :lol2:
August 4, 201412 yr :angrybird12::angrybird12::angrybird12::angrybird12::angrybird12::angrybird12: I don't know but I love it!!! Thanks Guru!
August 4, 201412 yr One of the joys of BGP is the ability to post about whatever comes across your mind. There has never been a statute of limitations of what the thread content can contain. If that was the case there are quite a few threads that have been started that are as old as this topic. I think it is awesome a football game from 16 years ago is still a topic of discussion.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.