Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is Pro Wrestling Racist?

Featured Replies

Brian Pillman kidnapped somebody's wife.

 

Nobody is mentioning DOOM and how they converted Woman from Rick Steiner's nerdy girlfriend to tight dress wearin', mall bangs sporting, super tramp. DOOM was the first dominate all black tag team that I remember. They were AWESOME. Ron Simmons and Butch Reed. I know that Johnson and Atlas were superstars together, but they were before my time.

  • Replies 64
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One time, HHH made fun of Kane for his part in a girlfriend dying in a car wreck. Then HHH got in a coffin and pretended to get it on with her dead corpse. That might have been taking things a little far lol

One time, HHH made fun of Kane for his part in a girlfriend dying in a car wreck. Then HHH got in a coffin and pretended to get it on with her dead corpse. That might have been taking things a little far lol

 

 

It's crap like that that turned me off on wrestling several years ago.

It's crap like that that turned me off on wrestling several years ago.

 

Yeah, it went through a rough spell were they were very edgy.

Yeah, it went through a rough spell were they were very edgy.

I don't know if edgy was the right term or not, during that time frame they were just trying to be outrageous for outrageous sake it was total buffoonery (more than normal).

 

"Real" Wrestling died when WCW match between Sting and the Nature Boy closed the last show for WCW.

 

It's now just Sports Entertainment.

I don't know if edgy was the right term or not, during that time frame they were just trying to be outrageous for outrageous sake it was total buffoonery (more than normal).

 

"Real" Wrestling died when WCW match between Sting and the Nature Boy closed the last show for WCW.

 

It's now just Sports Entertainment.

 

I can agree with that. I tuned out a long time ago. I enjoyed watching the return of DX several years back but have pretty much lost interest since.

I don't know if edgy was the right term or not, during that time frame they were just trying to be outrageous for outrageous sake it was total buffoonery (more than normal).

 

"Real" Wrestling died when WCW match between Sting and the Nature Boy closed the last show for WCW.

 

It's now just Sports Entertainment.

 

Pro Wrestling really died when MMA became so popular. You have similar types of action (minus the jumping from the ropes), but it is real competition.

Pro Wrestling really died when MMA became so popular. You have similar types of action (minus the jumping from the ropes), but it is real competition.

True, when Lesner went to MMA and was dominant early it actually gave some legitimacy to WWE. Then when they found out he had a glass jaw, it took that legitimacy away.

Racist?

 

According to this article, it is.

 

Pro Wrestling Is Fake, but Its Race Problem Isn't

 

Thoughts?

 

 

I think it's fair to say it's got some moments that you can't call anything but racist. You can also substitute 'racist' in the last sentence for 'sexist', 'bigoted', 'intolerant', 'jingoistic', 'misogynistic', 'ethnocentric', 'obscene', 'perverse', 'homophobic'.

 

You name it, it's pretty much been done in pro wrestling. They're in the entertainment businesses and those types of things are fairly common in the industry. Before tv shows, wrestlers weren't really seen by audiences and they maybe had some flyers and their entrance/performance to get the audience to buy into them and watch them tell a story in the ring. Of course there'll be some pretty stereotypical things that happen in the course of that. Maybe it doesn't happen to the same extent in other forms, and it isn't that it excuses it (especially not some of the really low points), but it explains it some.

Pro Wrestling really died when MMA became so popular. You have similar types of action (minus the jumping from the ropes), but it is real competition.

 

 

Dana White could sell an eskimo a bottle of ice water (sorry if that's offensive to Eskimos). Dude is really a marketing genius though, and when he shortened UFC fights into rounds like boxing, there were no more 30-45 minute matches with two guys laying and trying to get position while the average fan really didn't know what was going on.

As some of you know I got back into wrestling about six months ago and I have followed it closely. I watched in the late 70s and early 80s too.

 

Funny this article came about, just a couple of nights ago I was sitting on the couch after watching Raw and I thought to myself WWE doesn't have any black superstars. There are a lot of great black wrestlers but none of them are superstars. They are all mid and low card guys. My thought was I would like to see them bring back a group (I guess it was Nation of Domination) of black wrestlers. Make it so that if anyone messes with any of them they all gang up on the bad guy and eventually have a WWE champion emerge from the group. It may take two years of build up. The issue is no black wrestlers are even close to the title at this point. I understand WWE is a business, I just question if the disparity is really what is best for business.

As some of you know I got back into wrestling about six months ago and I have followed it closely. I watched in the late 70s and early 80s too.

 

Funny this article came about, just a couple of nights ago I was sitting on the couch after watching Raw and I thought to myself WWE doesn't have any black superstars. There are a lot of great black wrestlers but none of them are superstars. They are all mid and low card guys. My thought was I would like to see them bring back a group (I guess it was Nation of Domination) of black wrestlers. Make it so that if anyone messes with any of them they all gang up on the bad guy and eventually have a WWE champion emerge from the group. It may take two years of build up. The issue is no black wrestlers are even close to the title at this point. I understand WWE is a business, I just question if the disparity is really what is best for business.

 

I wonder how much it would really affect the business though. I can't really recall the last time I saw a black person wearing a WWE t-shirt, and while I haven't really watched since the Austin / Rock days my memory of the crowd on TV was that it was pretty vanilla. Is the lack of a black champion really hurthing the business or is it perhaps a case where the tail would wag the dog and a black champion would lead to more black fans. The NHL seems to have a pretty white fan base, would a black superstar change that? Or how about the PGA. Watching on TV it doesn't really seem like Tiger has lead a many black fans out on the course.

I wonder how much it would really affect the business though. I can't really recall the last time I saw a black person wearing a WWE t-shirt, and while I haven't really watched since the Austin / Rock days my memory of the crowd on TV was that it was pretty vanilla. Is the lack of a black champion really hurthing the business or is it perhaps a case where the tail would wag the dog and a black champion would lead to more black fans. The NHL seems to have a pretty white fan base, would a black superstar change that? Or how about the PGA. Watching on TV it doesn't really seem like Tiger has lead a many black fans out on the course.

 

When I went last month a black family was sitting in front of me and they really connected with Xavier Woods and the Funkadactyls (who were not there). My point being yes I think it would matter IC. Just like me, I think we all enjoyed all the wrestlers but the black wrestlers were special in the hearts of the people sitting in front of me.

I wonder how much it would really affect the business though. I can't really recall the last time I saw a black person wearing a WWE t-shirt, and while I haven't really watched since the Austin / Rock days my memory of the crowd on TV was that it was pretty vanilla. Is the lack of a black champion really hurthing the business or is it perhaps a case where the tail would wag the dog and a black champion would lead to more black fans. The NHL seems to have a pretty white fan base, would a black superstar change that? Or how about the PGA. Watching on TV it doesn't really seem like Tiger has lead a many black fans out on the course.

 

 

We tried. We still can't get in the country clubs unless we're serving dinner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just kidding.............kind of.......:D

I have one name for you: Coco B. Ware.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.