Knox Central Head Coaching Job

As you may remember, Knox Central Head Coach Brian Evans stepped down from his position in early June. With the summer winding down and the start of the school year quickly approaching, you'd imagine that the Panthers will try to find someone relatively soon.

Below is a link to the previous thread that we'd had on Evans' resignation, but we didn't get into lots of details about who'd be applying and who may or may not end up applying and/or being hired. The thread mentions the possibility of the hiring process really getting going at or near the end of the dead period.

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-boys-basketball/brian-evans-steps-278613.html

The job should attract a fair amount of candidates given the school's size and the talent they have returning next season. Most everyone familiar with the 13th has rated Knox Central as one of the top three teams going into next year, with some even going as far as to say they may be "the" top team. With the return of players like Matt Barger, Chad Marsee, and Jeffrey Adams, it's easy to see why pollsters are so fond of the Panthers.

I've been told that two up and coming assistants in the Mountain area have applied. Going alphabetically,Nick Napier, a former Scott County and current Bell County assistant, as well as Tim Parks, a former Clay County and current Hazard assistant, are two names that have applied. I've also been told that current Middlesboro head coach Russell Thompson has expressed interest as well. Anytime a job like this comes open, there are probably going to be some people with local ties who've also applied, but I'm not sure if that's the case here, or if so, what those names are. I will add that there have been some other interesting names that have been thrown out, but, for now, I'm not sure enough about any of those to be able to confirm them.

If anyone in the know wouldn't mind sharing any other names or possibilities, or even offering some insight into what kind of timeline we should expect, that would be greatly appreciated.

Spoke with someone who'd probably know who stated that two candidates with previous head coaching experience and ties to the EKY area had inquired about the vacancy as well.

Alphabetically, those names are Todd Messer, a former Clay County assistant, Fleming County head coach, and current Clinton County head coach, and Kevin Spurlock, who was formerly the head coach of Perry County Central, Sheldon Clark, Clay County, and Hazard.

I don't follow H.S. basketball much so I'm not familiar with the name, but a very reliable source just told me they've hired a coach named Voight? Sound familiar?

Weird. Voight is not a name I've heard around Kentucky very often, but maybe I'm mistaken because I live in the Southwest and think that's more common surname here. Am I confused or is there a connection that we might not know about?

Odd, but my source said he was from Pulaski County area. I found an online article about a new coach that PC hired in May. Surely he wouldn't leave for the KC job this quickly. Appears to be highly qualified. Jimmy Voight named Pulaski basketball coach » News Live » Commonwealth Journal

From your link: "Voight has also spent 11 years as a head coach at the high school level, coaching teams in Kentucky, Oklahoma, and New Mexico."

Is this the same Jimmy Voight that won a state title at a smaller school in southeastern New Mexico last season?

The article I read on him was from an Albuquerque paper and it'd said he'd previously coached in college and in Kentucky at various points in time.

I honestly hadn't heard the name until you'd mentioned it, but if the turnaround from Pulaski to Knox Central is this quick, then caveat emptor, because you might be looking again soon if something bigger comes calling if that's how things operate.

OK, here's what I've determined. Jimmy Voight is the new coach at Pulaski County and was the subject of the article I posted earlier. His son James is the new HC at Knox Central and was, as Jokerswild said, coach of the New Mexico 2A State Champions last season.

OK, here's what I've determined. Jimmy Voight is the new coach at Pulaski County and was the subject of the article I posted earlier. His son James is the new HC at Knox Central and was, as Jokerswild said, coach of the New Mexico 2A State Champions last season.

Gotcha. That makes much more sense. I honestly hadn't heard the name before but just ran some Google searches and found the articles from the New Mexico newspapers and went from there.