Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ESPN's Top 50 Coaches Right Now

Featured Replies

Coach K would coach circles around Bo Ryan

 

I disagree with that.

 

Your lack of appreciation and understanding for how good Bo Ryan is and how well he has done in Madison is surprising, coming from you. You're usually better than that.

 

Bo Ryan may not have the sizzle of many other guys, certainly wouldn't win any modeling contests, but he nearly always wins the battle of X's and O's once the ball goes up. He is also a legendary good guy, the kind of guy you'd LOVE to have lunch with and talk hoops, and Coach K isn't either of those. Coach K is arrogant and aloof, and to a degree he has earned it, and he is certainly in a league of his own in terms of accomplishments, but he can be a turd.

  • Replies 147
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree with that.

 

Your lack of appreciation and understanding for how good Bo Ryan is and how well he has done in Madison is surprising, coming from you. You're usually better than that.

 

Bo Ryan may not have the sizzle of many other guys, certainly wouldn't win any modeling contests, but he nearly always wins the battle of X's and O's once the ball goes up. He is also a legendary good guy, the kind of guy you'd LOVE to have lunch with and talk hoops, and Coach K isn't either of those. Coach K is arrogant and aloof, and to a degree he has earned it, and he is certainly in a league of his own in terms of accomplishments, but he can be a turd.

 

 

Thanks, and I sincerely mean that.

 

I guess my biggest beef with Bo Ryan is that Madison isn't the dead end that people might think it is and that he'd be able to recruit there if he wanted to. I understand that it's a really, really good school, but they seem to be doing okay in terms of the kids they are able to get admitted to be competitive in football.

 

The statement about Coach K making circles around him was more geared toward him being able to have the talent to be able to do so because of his ability to recruit and market. I look at things like that as being just as important as your ability as a strategist in terms of the college game.

 

I guess I'm just not as convinced as others that Ryan is as pigeonholed into running the system he does because of a lack of alternatives.

 

I don't think he's a bad coach at all. He is obviously doing something right considering they've been to the tourney in 14 straight years, but all he has to show for all of those trips are 1 Final Four, 1 Elite 8, and 1 Sweet Sixteen. That's essentially saying he's been past the first weekend of the tournament less than 25% of the times he's been there. When he got to Wisconsin he'd inherited a team that was coming off of a Final Four run the previous season, though they were expected to drop off in terms of talent.

 

I'm just not really sure how high I'd rank him because I think you could give a guy like Shaka Smart the opportunity to build up the same resume (in terms of the caliber of program he gets, conference they're in, etc.) and he'd be able to show at least as much for it as Ryan has.

 

Smart may be an unfair comparison because you might say he caught lightning in a bottle with his Final Four run, and while he's made the tournament three straight seasons since, hasn't been past the first weekend, but he's also had to take his program and branding much further than what Ryan probably had to do with Wisconsin, and though he's only been there a few years, he has had basically the same results over a 4 year sample.

 

Really what it comes down to is that when I'm looking at a list like this, I'll go with the Bum Phillips test when he said in reference to Don Shula and Bear Bryant, "He can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n."

 

I don't know how Ryan would fare at a school like Kentucky or North Carolina, and a lot of that probably could be attributed to him being more of a guy that you see as a Tubby Smith than you see as a John Calipari. Some of it too, is that I'm thinking in the back of my mind, maybe he's a wholesome dude and isn't the type of cat who is cut out for coaching the revolving door of top one and done talent, which is a reality of the game. I rank Ryan where I do because I think that a guy like Donovan would have as much success at Wisconsin as Bo's had there, but can't say I'd immediately think the same thing for Bo at Florida.

 

To be fair to Bo though, I'm probably looking at his tournament record and discounting the fact that the landscape of the game has changed in a way that allows a guy like a Marshall or Smart to be successful at a small school while the same isn't as true for the time when he was at UW-Milwaukee making his own breaks.

 

The more I read and hear about him, he definitely seems like a good guy, but, unfortunately, those aren't always the most successful coaches either.

Have you ever been to Wisconsin?

 

 

Coach K is a great coach.....but he has flaws.

 

 

Look at the rankings of top party schools in the nation sometime too though. Wisconsin is always up there and it's a good school.

 

I've met a fellow imported Texan who left home in California to move to Wisconsin before she ended up working in San Antonio. I know that's kind of random and anecdotal evidence isn't really the best for this kind of thing, but I think you are really underestimating the kind of draw Wisconsin has.

Tell Coach K to quit going to that stupid four corner stall ball offense when up 20 with 10 minutes left in the game. They let the other term back I the game everytime and it infuriates me to no end.

Tell Coach K to quit going to that stupid four corner stall ball offense when up 20 with 10 minutes left in the game. They let the other term back I the game everytime and it infuriates me to no end.

 

That's the least of my complaints. I despise the constant flopping and baiting of the officials in general. I know everyone does it, but Duke over-does it. It's like it's part of the K Instruction Manual.

That's the least of my complaints. I despise the constant flopping and baiting of the officials in general. I know everyone does it, but Duke over-does it. It's like it's part of the K Instruction Manual.

 

False. Duke doesn't flop anymore or any less than any other team. It's just magnified because it's Duke.

 

Of course that's the least of your worries. You aren't a Duke fan. 15 years later Coach K still does that slow down four corners crap. STOP IT, K!!!!!!!!

Tell Coach K to quit going to that stupid four corner stall ball offense when up 20 with 10 minutes left in the game. They let the other term back I the game everytime and it infuriates me to no end.

 

EVERY SINGLE GAME. Even worse when Dick Vitale says, "Duke is the best team at spreading the floor and burning time". No they are not. They are the worst. So frustrating watching this happen.

I like Kevin Ollie and I think he has a lot of potential, but he's already passed Jim Boeheim?

I like Kevin Ollie and I think he has a lot of potential, but he's already passed Jim Boeheim?

 

Right now I think it is a good question. I think I'd take Ollie over Jim.

Horrible hire...worse dude.

 

Bjork blew that one, and I consider Ross a friend.

 

Disagree but irrelevant to the conversation. 2 year head coach on the list while 384 wins and a winning percentage of 82% left off.

 

The guy can coach.

  • Author
Disagree but irrelevant to the conversation. 2 year head coach on the list while 384 wins and a winning percentage of 82% left off.

 

The guy can coach.

 

Again, people need to understand, this isn't about best coach career wise. This is Top coaches RIGHT NOW, as in today, as in the last couple of seasons.

Again, people need to understand, this isn't about best coach career wise. This is Top coaches RIGHT NOW, as in today, as in the last couple of seasons.
Which even that is subjective. It is impossible not to take some past accomplishments or failures in to consideration.
Again, people need to understand, this isn't about best coach career wise. This is Top coaches RIGHT NOW, as in today, as in the last couple of seasons.

 

I didn't see where their parameters were the past two seasons. That's an odd qualifier. I thought it was the best college coaches still coaching.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.