Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ESPN's Top 50 Coaches Right Now

Featured Replies

I didn't see where their parameters were the past two seasons. That's an odd qualifier. I thought it was the best college coaches still coaching.

 

Which coaches are doing the best job right now?

We've been thinking about that question this offseason, looking for the best way to quantify the answer. Luckily, we've got ESPN Forecast. Last week, we asked a panel of nearly 100 ESPN writers, editors, broadcasters and researchers to rate college basketball coaches on all aspects of running a program, on a scale of 1-10. (The crucial distinction here is that the prompt was not career-oriented. This isn't about legacy. It's all about the present.) We compiled their scores and ranked the names, and now comes the fun part: The big reveal.

The list has plenty of obvious selections, but the panel also contains more than a few surprises -- and a few snubs. For the next five weeks, we'll count down the top 25. But today, we kick things off with Nos. 50-25. What wisdom does the crowd have to offer?

  • Replies 147
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which coaches are doing the best job right now?

We've been thinking about that question this offseason, looking for the best way to quantify the answer. Luckily, we've got ESPN Forecast. Last week, we asked a panel of nearly 100 ESPN writers, editors, broadcasters and researchers to rate college basketball coaches on all aspects of running a program, on a scale of 1-10. (The crucial distinction here is that the prompt was not career-oriented. This isn't about legacy. It's all about the present.) We compiled their scores and ranked the names, and now comes the fun part: The big reveal.

The list has plenty of obvious selections, but the panel also contains more than a few surprises -- and a few snubs. For the next five weeks, we'll count down the top 25. But today, we kick things off with Nos. 50-25. What wisdom does the crowd have to offer?

 

I didn't see that, still don't but I often don't get entire screens to download from a website. I'm still not seeing a two year parameter.

  • Author

^Where in the world are you coming up with this whole 2 year idea....:confused:

^Where in the world are you coming up with this whole 2 year idea....:confused:

 

Again, people need to understand, this isn't about best coach career wise. This is Top coaches RIGHT NOW, as in today, as in the last couple of seasons.

^Where in the world are you coming up with this whole 2 year idea....:confused:

 

You said the past couple years, did you not?

  • Author
You said the past couple years, did you not?

 

Oh, you took what I said literally. I thought it was clear I was saying it was based off recent success.

Oh, you took what I said literally. I thought it was clear I was saying it was based off recent success.

 

No, wasn't clear at all.

 

Recent success would still have me put Harper in over Pitino which was my original point. Harper has 41 wins past couple seasons plus 364 more. Pitino has coached 2 years total with 43 wins. I'd like some more history for him before adding him in over a coach with both historical and recent success.

  • Author
No, wasn't clear at all.

 

Recent success would still have me put Harper in over Pitino which was my original point. Harper has 41 wins past couple seasons plus 364 more. Pitino has coached 2 years total with 43 wins. I'd like some more history for him before adding him in over a coach with both historical and recent success.

 

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Harper wouldn't be in my top 150, let alone top 50. He's got a bunch of wins in his career. So what? So do guys like Mark Gottfried and Herb Sendek.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Harper wouldn't be in my top 150, let alone top 50. He's got a bunch of wins in his career. So what? So do guys like Mark Gottfried and Herb Sendek.

 

Along with multiple championships but that's fine, his record speaks for himself, he doesn't need me to defend him.

 

I'll wait for Pitino to do a bit more before he's on my list.

  • Author
Along with multiple championships but that's fine, his record speaks for himself, he doesn't need me to defend him.

 

I'll wait for Pitino to do a bit more before he's on my list.

 

Forgive me for not getting excited about a bunch of D-II wins/championships. Whole different ballgame D-I.

Disagree but irrelevant to the conversation. 2 year head coach on the list while 384 wins and a winning percentage of 82% left off.

 

The guy can coach.

 

Ray Harper's wins and winning percentage at Oklahoma City, or whatever that was called, and Kentucky Wesleyan, while VERY impressive, is apples and oranges when coaching at this level. Completely different kettle of fish. I don't believe he is the right guy to lead them into Conference USA, effective next Tuesday, and I don't believe he can walk into living rooms and recruit the kinds of players necessary to play at that level.

 

Again, as an alum and fairly close to a few folks down there still, I hope they win like crazy. I just don't believe it will be with him at the helm.

Ray Harper's wins and winning percentage at Oklahoma City, or whatever that was called, and Kentucky Wesleyan, while VERY impressive, is apples and oranges when coaching at this level. Completely different kettle of fish. I don't believe he is the right guy to lead them into Conference USA, effective next Tuesday, and I don't believe he can walk into living rooms and recruit the kinds of players necessary to play at that level.

 

Again, as an alum and fairly close to a few folks down there still, I hope they win like crazy. I just don't believe it will be with him at the helm.

 

He's proven that he can coach the game and his start at WKU is as good as many coaches they've had so I believe he can coach at this level also. I hope I'm right as I too would like to see them win like crazy. Those 25-28 win seasons were fun.

My top five active coaches are:

 

Coach K

Pitino

Cal

Izzo

Donovan

 

If Calhoun was coaching, he would be in the top five. Very hard to argue what he did with the UConn program. Ollie is also looking great for the time he's been there and I think they will remain very tough under him.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.