Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ESPN's Top 50 Coaches Right Now

Featured Replies

Of the guys left off, if we're looking at someone running my program for the next 4 years, assuming that each came into the same circumstances (i.e., in terms school, resources, etc.), and I could pick from any of them, I'd go with the list below.

 

 

 

My Top 15:

 

15. Ryan - Wisconsin (too gimmicky, couldn't recruit)

 

14. Bielein - Michigan (something about him just doesn't do it for me)

 

13. Boeheim - Syracuse (too gimmicky, chokes in the tournament too often)

 

12. Marshall - Wichita State

 

11. Self - Kansas (craps the bed in the tourney, but he can recruit)

 

10. Ollie - UConn (lightning in a bottle, but still a good coach)

 

9. Pitino - Louisville (would have been higher a few years ago)

 

8. Bennett - Virginia (hottest "new" name among young coaches right now)

 

7. Miller - Arizona (can recruit with anyone)

 

6. Donovan - Florida (maybe entering his best years)

 

5. Hoiberg - ISU (look at his resume in NBA front offices before you laugh)

 

4. Smart - VCU (great overall, put him at a big school and watch him take off... I know he's 'gimmicky', but it's a gimmick I think you can win with)

 

3. Izzo - Michigan State (his record speaks for itself... fans might trade titles for consistency though)

 

2. Krzyzewski - Duke (adapting to the one and done well)

 

1. Calipari - Kentucky (he's on another level with recruiting, branding, and marketing... it's been successful at UK)

  • Replies 147
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Turgeon is awful. He doesn't deserve consideration. Neither does Ford.

 

True, I was just surprised he didn't even get an honorable mention after the way they'd pumped him up so much in recent years.

Of the guys left off, if we're looking at someone running my program for the next 4 years, assuming that each came into the same circumstances (i.e., in terms school, resources, etc.), and I could pick from any of them, I'd go with the list below.

 

 

 

My Top 15:

 

15. Ryan - Wisconsin (too gimmicky, couldn't recruit)

 

14. Bielein - Michigan (something about him just doesn't do it for me)

 

13. Boeheim - Syracuse (too gimmicky, chokes in the tournament too often)

 

12. Marshall - Wichita State

 

11. Self - Kansas (craps the bed in the tourney, but he can recruit)

 

10. Ollie - UConn (lightning in a bottle, but still a good coach)

 

9. Pitino - Louisville (would have been higher a few years ago)

 

8. Bennett - Virginia (hottest "new" name among young coaches right now)

 

7. Miller - Arizona (can recruit with anyone)

 

6. Donovan - Florida (maybe entering his best years)

 

5. Hoiberg - ISU (look at his resume in NBA front offices before you laugh)

 

4. Smart - VCU (great overall, put him at a big school and watch him take off... I know he's 'gimmicky', but it's a gimmick I think you can win with)

 

3. Izzo - Michigan State (his record speaks for itself... fans might trade titles for consistency though)

 

2. Krzyzewski - Duke (adapting to the one and done well)

 

1. Calipari - Kentucky (he's on another level with recruiting, branding, and marketing... it's been successful at UK)

 

Keep in mind that the list is based off of the last 5 years. I think that changes your list drastically. Pitino is top 5 in the lst 5 years and Izzo is barely top 10 IMO.

Keep in mind that the list is based off of the last 5 years. I think that changes your list drastically. Pitino is top 5 in the lst 5 years and Izzo is barely top 10 IMO.

 

Gotcha. I didn't realize it was based off the last 5.

 

I based my ranking on the next 4 years going forward and I think it'd be hard for Pitino to recruit with a retirement looming, especially in his later classes.

Gotcha. I didn't realize it was based off the last 5.

 

I based my ranking on the next 4 years going forward and I think it'd be hard for Pitino to recruit with a retirement looming, especially in his later classes.

 

 

I'm excited to see how the list plays out. I don't see how Cal isn't top dog in the last 5 years. Even with the loss to Robert Morris in round 1 of the NIT tournament.

The more I learn about Hoiberg, the more I think he's a guy who is really going to break out over the next few years. Aside from Calipari and Coach K, I think he'd probably end up being my #3 guy if I were going to make the hire. The biggest thing he has going against him is that he hasn't really been there and failed once, which is something that I think basically every coach has to do to be successful in the long run.

 

Former NBA front office guy, big on advanced analytics, goes to Iowa State, a school that doesn't have a big tradition and turns them around. Imagine what he could do if he were hired by UCLA instead of Alford. Recruiting with that kind of base and the school's brand, tradition, money, and other resources? Forget about it.

  • Author

 

 

My Top 15:

 

15. Ryan - Wisconsin (too gimmicky, couldn't recruit)

 

14. Bielein - Michigan (something about him just doesn't do it for me)

 

13. Boeheim - Syracuse (too gimmicky, chokes in the tournament too often)

 

12. Marshall - Wichita State

 

11. Self - Kansas (craps the bed in the tourney, but he can recruit)

 

10. Ollie - UConn (lightning in a bottle, but still a good coach)

 

9. Pitino - Louisville (would have been higher a few years ago)

 

8. Bennett - Virginia (hottest "new" name among young coaches right now)

 

7. Miller - Arizona (can recruit with anyone)

 

6. Donovan - Florida (maybe entering his best years)

 

5. Hoiberg - ISU (look at his resume in NBA front offices before you laugh)

 

4. Smart - VCU (great overall, put him at a big school and watch him take off... I know he's 'gimmicky', but it's a gimmick I think you can win with)

 

3. Izzo - Michigan State (his record speaks for itself... fans might trade titles for consistency though)

 

2. Krzyzewski - Duke (adapting to the one and done well)

 

1. Calipari - Kentucky (he's on another level with recruiting, branding, and marketing... it's been successful at UK)

 

Guys in bold are the ones I anticipate Kentucky to make a run at if/when Cal leaves.

Guys in bold are the ones I anticipate Kentucky to make a run at if/when Cal leaves.

 

Yep. I would think all of those names, along with maybe a Tony Bennett would be the ones they look at hardest.

 

I think Hoiberg has some connections to Iowa State that would make him extremely difficult to pry from them. He played there, and grew up in Iowa as well. He was the VP of Basketball Operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves at one time, so I'd imagine he could be in the pro ranks if he really wanted to be.

  • Author

^Don't think Bennett would get a look. After the way the fans turned on Tubby and complained about his style of play, not sure Bennett would be a good choice.

I am happy to see Tubby Smith on this list! I will always love Tubby and wish him well in all his endeavors.

I'm thinking it will be:

 

1. Cal

2. Pitino

3. Self

4. K

5. Billy D

 

I can live with this list.....:lol2:

I didn't even know that Kruger and Martelli were still coaching. I'm ashamed of myself.

 

:idunno:

Where is Steve Prohm?

 

Glad Rick Byrd from Belmont got some love. He is good.

  • Author
Where is Steve Prohm?

 

Glad Rick Byrd from Belmont got some love. He is good.

 

Prohm is on the Honorable Mentions...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.