Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ESPN's Top 50 Coaches Right Now

Featured Replies

They've been doing this for a couple weeks. Counting down the top 25, one a day, for 5 weeks.

 

50. Randy Bennett - St. Mary's & Scott Drew - Baylor

49. Richard Pitino - Minnesota

48. Steve Morrill - Utah State

47. Bob Hoffman - Mercer

46. John Thompson III - Georgetown

45. Mike Brey - Notre Dame

44. Rick Barnes - Texas

43. Chris Mack - Xavier

42. Josh Pastner - Memphis

41. Ed Cooley - Providence

40. Bruce Weber - Kansas State

39. Tubby Smith - Texas Tech

38. Buzz Williams - Virginia Tech

37. Rick Byrd - Belmont

36. Steve Alford - UCLA

35. Phil Martelli - St. Joseph's

34. Tad Boyle - Colorado

33. Fran McCaffery - Iowa

32. Tim Miles - Nebraska

31. Lon Kruger - Oklahoma

30. Bob Huggins - West Virginia

29. Jim Crews - St. Louis

28. Jim Larranaga - Miami (FL)

27. Mick Cronin - UC

26. Archie Miller - Dayton

25. Jamie Dixon - Pittsburgh

24. Bob McKillop - Davidson

23. Greg McDermott - Creighton

22. Tommy Amaker - Harvard

21. Larry Brown - SMU

20. Thad Matta - Ohio State

19. Jay Wright - Villanova

18. Steve Fisher - San Diego State

17. Mark Few - Gonzaga

16. Roy Williams - North Carolina

 

ESPN's Top 50 Coaches Right Now

 

Will be interesting to see it play out...

  • Replies 147
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They've been doing this for a couple weeks. Counting down the top 25, one a day, for 5 weeks.

 

50. Randy Bennett - St. Mary's & Scott Drew - Baylor

49. Richard Pitino - Minnesota

48. Steve Morrill - Utah State

47. Bob Hoffman - Mercer

46. John Thompson III - Georgetown

45. Mike Brey - Notre Dame

44. Rick Barnes - Texas

43. Chris Mack - Xavier

42. Josh Pastner - Memphis

41. Ed Cooley - Providence

40. Bruce Weber - Kansas State

39. Tubby Smith - Texas Tech

38. Buzz Williams - Virginia Tech

37. Rick Byrd - Belmont

36. Steve Alford - UCLA

35. Phil Martelli - St. Joseph's

34. Tad Boyle - Colorado

33. Fran McCaffery - Iowa

32. Tim Miles - Nebraska

31. Lon Kruger - Oklahoma

30. Bob Huggins - West Virginia

29. Jim Crews - St. Louis

28. Jim Larranaga - Miami (FL)

27. Mick Cronin - UC

26. Archie Miller - Dayton

25. Jamie Dixon - Pittsburgh

24. Bob McKillop - Davidson

23. Greg McDermott - Creighton

22. Tommy Amaker - Harvard

21. Larry Brown - SMU

20. Thad Matta - Ohio State

19. Jay Wright - Villanova

18. Steve Fisher - San Diego State

17. Mark Few - Gonzaga

16. Roy Williams - North Carolina

 

ESPN's Top 50 Coaches Right Now

 

Will be interesting to see it play out...

 

Top 5 in no order:

 

Sean Miller

Tom Izzo

Coach K

Coach Cal

Bill Self

 

Billy Donovan could or should take one of those spots. Could make an argument for any of those guys in the top 6.

Kinda surprised Williams was that low with this being an ESPN list.

  • Author

I'm thinking the top will be:

 

1. Bill Self (ESPN slobbers all over themselves with him)

2. Coach K

3. Rick Pitino

4. Coach Cal

5. Billy D.

6. Sean Miller

7. Izzo

Kinda surprised Williams was that low with this being an ESPN list.

 

I think his rep has taken a pretty significant hit in the last couple of years as he underachieved with some talented players.

I'm thinking it will be:

 

1. Cal

2. Pitino

3. Self

4. K

5. Billy D

I'd be pretty surprised if Coach K wasn't #1.

 

USA basketball experience gives him the nod in my opinion and probably in theirs.

I'd be pretty surprised if Coach K wasn't #1.

 

If the words 'right now' are being used it can't be K. Cal has done more than K since 2010. Pitino also. For me right now is since 2010.

  • Author
If the words 'right now' are being used it can't be K. Cal has done more than K since 2010. Pitino also. For me right now is since 2010.

 

I want to say they said something like last 5 years, thus why guys like Bruce Pearl aren't on the list.

I want to say they said something like last 5 years, thus why guys like Bruce Pearl aren't on the list.

 

I'd put my money on Cal at #1.

I'm thinking it will be:

 

1. Cal

2. Pitino

3. Self

4. K

5. Billy D

 

Not sure how I'd go on the order, but those would be my five.

........

 

That top 50 is AWFUL and way to reactionary. Jim Crews? Please. Archie Miller was sweating his gig in January, not he is top 30? Good Lord. I sent Goodman a text and told him he should be embarrassed to have his name associated with that list (he was one of the voters) and he didn't disagree.

 

I loathe Tom Crean as a person and as a coach, he is deplorable, but you really think he is less of a coach than half of those listed? Nonsense.

 

Greg McDermott is an awesome guy, and hysterical, but a year from now he won't be on anyone's top 50, much less 23rd.

  • Author

^Off topic, but if I were ESPN, I'd be more embarrassed that I'm in anyway associated with Goodman than the other way around. Talk about a crappy journalist. He makes Pat Forde and Pete Thamel look like award winners.

Names left:

 

John Beilein - Michigan*

Jim Boeheim - Syracuse

Tony Bennett - Virginia*

John Calipari - Kentucky

Billy Donovan - Florida

Fred Hoiberg - Iowa State*

Tom Izzo - Michigan State

Mike Krzyzewski - Duke

Gregg Marshall - Wichita State

Sean Miller - Arizona

Kevin Ollie - UConn

Rick Pitino - Louisville

Bo Ryan - Wisconsin

Bill Self - Kansas

Shaka Smart - VCU

Mark Turgeon - Maryland*

 

Unless I've miscounted somewhere, one of the names with a * by it will be left off the list. My guess would be Turgeon, but I'm surprised he didn't at least get an honorable mention.

 

 

Travis Ford of Oklahoma State isn't even mentioned in the honorable mention category, and I struggled to complete the list and he was a name I couldn't shake until I finally came up with Bennett, Turgeon, and Beilein. Frank Haith at Missouri and Mike Anderson at Arkansas are two familiar names that probably didn't even make the honorable mention category. I'm assuming that Mike Montgomery at Cal is not going to be mentioned due to retirement.

  • Author

Turgeon is awful. He doesn't deserve consideration. Neither does Ford.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.