Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

ESPN's Top 50 Coaches Right Now

Featured Replies

Tom Izzo is one of the best in the business right now. They've won the Big Ten conference 3 of the last 5 years. I hate to cloud things up with facts but last 5 years:

 

- 28-9, Final Four

- 19-15, 2nd round

- 29-8, Sweet 16

- 27-9, Sweet 16

- 29-9, Elite 8

 

132-50 in last 5 seasons

 

 

Rick Pitino

 

- 31-6 - Sweet Sixteen

- 35-5 - National Champions

- 30-10 - Final Four

- 25-10 - Second Round

- 20-13 - First Round

 

141-44 in the last 5 seasons

 

Big East Tourney Champs in 2012,2013

Big East Regular Season Champs in 2013

AAC Regular Season and Tourney Champs in 2014

 

 

 

How is Izzo better than Ricky P in the last 5 years?

  • Replies 147
  • Views 16.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So this list is the last 5 years? I didn't realize that. I still think Izzo is a heck of a good coach though.

 

Nobody is saying he isn't. Just saying if the list is RIGHT NOW there are some guys who should be higher than Izzo.

Nobody is saying he isn't. Just saying if the list is RIGHT NOW there are some guys who should be higher than Izzo.

 

If the list is the last 5 years, I agree with you. Actually, I don't care when the list is. Pitino is one of the all time great coaches.

If the list is the last 5 years, I agree with you. Actually, I don't care when the list is. Pitino is one of the all time great coaches.

 

 

This list is the last 5 years. That's why I have Cal at #1 and K at #4. If it were active all time greats then K is #1. Period point blank end of discussion.

  • Author
So this list is the last 5 years? I didn't realize that. I still think Izzo is a heck of a good coach though.

 

They haven't set a definite time period, but they've said "right now" and it's not a list of best all-time active coaches, just the best in the recent past, which leads me to believe about 5 years.

 

If that's the case, there is no chance he's on the same level as Pitino, Self, Cal, or Billy D. At least not IMO.

 

Pitino:

-20-13, 1st round

-25-10, 2nd round

-30-10, Final Four

-35-5, National Champs

-31-6, Sweet Sixteen

 

141-44 last 5 seasons

 

Donovan:

-21-13, 1st round

-29-8, Elite Eight

-26-11, Elite Eight

-29-8, Elite Eight

-36-3, Final Four

 

141-43 last 5 years

 

Self:

-33-3, 2nd Round

-35-3, Elite Eight

-32-7, Runner-Up

-31-6, Sweet Sixteen

25-10, 2nd Round

 

156-29 last 5 seasons

 

Cal:

35-3, Elite Eight

29-9, Final Four

38-2, National Champs

21-12, NIT

29-11, Runner Up

 

152-37 last 5 seasons

 

Coach K:

35-5, National Champs

32-5, Sweet 16

27-7, 1st Round

30-6, Elite Eight

26-9, 1st Round

 

150-32 last 5 seasons

Shaka Smart has been better than Izzo the last 5 years.

 

I can't wait until that dude turns into a pumpkin. He is a fraud and an all-around bad guy. He is going to make a loud thud when perception is replaced with reality.

I can't wait until that dude turns into a pumpkin. He is a fraud and an all-around bad guy. He is going to make a loud thud when perception is replaced with reality.

 

Word? Do tell!!! Please!!!

 

I've never heard anything about the fella. Spill it!!!

So somehow Tom Izzo is top 3?

 

The media LOVES Tom Izzo. Always accessible and a likeable personality. I have always felt another solid indicator of evaluating a coach is to see what seed a team is, not how far the advance in a single elimination tournament. The Spartans have been a 5, 10, 1, 3, and 4. I don't know, I am just trying to make a case but I am not buying it either. ;)

 

Cal has been a 1, 4, 1, n/a, and 8.

Rick has been a 9, 4, 4, 1, and 4.

Self has been a 1, 1, 2, 1, and 2.

Leader K has been a 1, 1, 2, 2, and 3.

  • Author
Anyone else shocked that K isn't #1?

 

Why would he be #1?

Word? Do tell!!! Please!!!

 

I've never heard anything about the fella. Spill it!!!

 

 

Bonus points for quoting Omar.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.