Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boone County Pee Wee

Featured Replies

All that learning the system didn't pay off for Ryle since they have to learn a new one this year. Learning a system stuff I do not get, all that means is learning terminology. How hard is that? The Hebron team has zero to do with Conner.

  • Replies 162
  • Views 24.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just terminology. Every coach has their physical system and schemes that differ in each high school program. If that trickles down or starts with the youth program it becomes muscle memory as well as intellect. Yes, Ryle may take a step back to learn the new coaches system and terminology, but as long as he stays, they will be prepared for what happens under his leadership in high school. I know for sure that the Union Jags have kids that are definitely seeing the benefit of that feeder system. Building that relationship early forms a stronger bond with the boys as well.

^Could you give me some examples from around the state where this has proved to be the case.

"Learning the system" is a little overated, especially at the younger levels. It's more important to teach good fundamentals, and teach kids to play multiple positions rather than pigeon holing them at a young age. The terminology means nothing if there are no fundamentals.

 

The relationship with the high school program though is very important, whether your youth league is running your system or not.

All that learning the system didn't pay off for Ryle since they have to learn a new one this year. Learning a system stuff I do not get, all that means is learning terminology. How hard is that? The Hebron team has zero to do with Conner.

 

Rome wasn't built in a day number one. The feeder systems will only be starting it's 5 year at Ryle and the 4th year at Cooper and since you raised the issue about you not getting "learning the learning the system" stuff, I'll remind you that Ryle's freshman class this past season was the best freshman team in NKY and the majority of that class was in fact part of the Union Raiders for the previous 3 years. True, the system will have to make changes with the change in leadership Ryle but one thing that cannot be disputed is that those players playing together for a substantial amount of time will have some residual benefit. If the the NKY Bandits won't get the luxury of working with Conner directly like the 2 Union teams those players will still have played together which will have an positive impact at some point IMO. It's been proven that this type of footprint works for Highlands, Beechwood, Colerain, and many others in our region.

"Learning the system" is a little overated, especially at the younger levels. It's more important to teach good fundamentals, and teach kids to play multiple positions rather than pigeon holing them at a young age. The terminology means nothing if there are no fundamentals.

 

The relationship with the high school program though is very important, whether your youth league is running your system or not.

 

I agree 100% on your comments. Learning the system is a bonus and if there's an opportunity for my son to learn the system he's going to be experiencing at an early age that is icing on the cake for me. To each his own.

All that learning the system didn't pay off for Ryle since they have to learn a new one this year. Learning a system stuff I do not get, all that means is learning terminology. How hard is that? The Hebron team has zero to do with Conner.

The biggest advantage by playing on a team that "represents" the high school you will be going to is simply the players getting a chance to play together and become familiar with each players abilities and lack of etc.

 

Playing with a group of players builds the chemistry etc. and can only be an advantage in the long run I think.

Rome wasn't built in a day number one. The feeder systems will only be starting it's 5 year at Ryle and the 4th year at Cooper and since you raised the issue about you not getting "learning the learning the system" stuff, I'll remind you that Ryle's freshman class this past season was the best freshman team in NKY and the majority of that class was in fact part of the Union Raiders for the previous 3 years. True, the system will have to make changes with the change in leadership Ryle but one thing that cannot be disputed is that those players playing together for a substantial amount of time will have some residual benefit. If the the NKY Bandits won't get the luxury of working with Conner directly like the 2 Union teams those players will still have played together which will have an positive impact at some point IMO. It's been proven that this type of footprint works for Highlands, Beechwood, Colerain, and many others in our region.

Highlands does not do what Ryle and Cooper does, nor does Beechwood from what I understand.

 

 

You are absolutely correct about the most important part is teaching fundamentals.

 

 

The only thing that makes me apprehensive is the pigeon hole effect of athletes. You know as well as anyone on this board how kids change from youth to high school. I like it where there are multiple kids coming into high that have played qb for instance.

 

 

For what it is worth, I have a lot of respect for the parents and the communities for making he commitment they have made to their schools and programs. Hats off!

^Could you give me some examples from around the state where this has proved to be the case.

 

I would use Cov Cath as an example where it has improved the program.

 

First, I would agree that the primary mission of youth leagues like Colonel Youth Football is to coach fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.

 

Now holding aside things like formations, motions, terminology etc, for just a minute, I would start with the benefits of how it improves just getting into play using something as simple as cadence as an example. Using the same cadence called at varsity spills into all other pre play calls- things like audibles etc. Kids used to hearing that every day at an early age become more and more comfortable with the idea of calling an audible and makes for a quicker transition at the next level.

 

Again, using sound fundamentals as the basis, I believe its valuable that the young kids matriculating to the High School level use a basic approach to that High Schools playbook. Using the same basic blocking schemes, route tree, etc., is just the icing on top- but instead of being introduced to that your Freshman year and spending weeks of pre season practice getting the terminology down, you hit the ground running and are able to move into more advanced schemes at an earlier age.

 

The CYF was formed @ 6 years ago and experienced great success. I don't think it's any coincidence that the High School team has improved greatly over that same time frame.

I would use Cov Cath as an example where it has improved the program.

 

First, I would agree that the primary mission of youth leagues like Colonel Youth Football is to coach fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals.

 

Now holding aside things like formations, motions, terminology etc, for just a minute, I would start with the benefits of how it improves just getting into play using something as simple as cadence as an example. Using the same cadence called at varsity spills into all other pre play calls- things like audibles etc. Kids used to hearing that every day at an early age become more and more comfortable with the idea of calling an audible and makes for a quicker transition at the next level.

 

Again, using sound fundamentals as the basis, I believe its valuable that the young kids matriculating to the High School level use a basic approach to that High Schools playbook. Using the same basic blocking schemes, route tree, etc., is just the icing on top- but instead of being introduced to that your Freshman year and spending weeks of pre season practice getting the terminology down, you hit the ground running and are able to move into more advanced schemes at an earlier age.

 

The CYF was formed @ 6 years ago and experienced great success. I don't think it's any coincidence that the High School team has improved greatly over that same time frame.

 

And this would sum things up perfectly. Again, there is benefit to the concept.

Highlands does not do what Ryle and Cooper does, nor does Beechwood from what I understand.

 

 

You are absolutely correct about the most important part is teaching fundamentals.

 

 

The only thing that makes me apprehensive is the pigeon hole effect of athletes. You know as well as anyone on this board how kids change from youth to high school. I like it where there are multiple kids coming into high that have played qb for instance.

 

 

For what it is worth, I have a lot of respect for the parents and the communities for making he commitment they have made to their schools and programs. Hats off!

 

You are 100% correct in that Highlands and Beechwood don't do this "directly" but most of the players in the FT League go on to Highlands and most of the players that play for Spartans go on to play for Beechwood and Colerain has the Lil' Cards program. That was the only point in that the kids are playing together and not be splintered when it comes to a draft. Fundamentals should be the baseline, absolutely 100% in agreement and if some addtional teachings can be included from the HS program for which those players will attend HS that is a bonus. As far as pigeon holing players I don't agree because any HS coach is going to play his players he can best succeed and put his team in a postion to win.

I agree that coaches will put who they feel is best at each position.

 

 

I will use this example to show how limiting players on their position could hurt the high school. As you recall at one time in the pee wee league there where three very good 8th grade qbs that all went to Ryle. All three started and played qb in 8th grade because they were all on different teams. The three were Josh Friedel, Conner Hempel, and Caleb Lonkard, if those three I feel played for the Union Raiders today, Hempel would not have played qb he would have stayed at TE.

 

 

Personally, I just like having as many kids playing as possible, on a number of teams, the more the better. This is what Highlands does, they do not teach their system they just teach fundamental football.

Highlands does not do what Ryle and Cooper does, nor does Beechwood from what I understand.

 

 

You are absolutely correct about the most important part is teaching fundamentals.

 

 

The only thing that makes me apprehensive is the pigeon hole effect of athletes. You know as well as anyone on this board how kids change from youth to high school. I like it where there are multiple kids coming into high that have played qb for instance.

 

 

For what it is worth, I have a lot of respect for the parents and the communities for making he commitment they have made to their schools and programs. Hats off!

 

That's not entirely true. Beechwood and Cov Cath have the Spartans and HHS has the Red Devils which feed them programs. I know several famines that had their kids play for those teams just because they were going to those high schools.

That's not entirely true. Beechwood and Cov Cath have the Spartans and HHS has the Red Devils which feed them programs. I know several famines that had their kids play for those teams just because they were going to those high schools.

Do the Red Devils Seniors even exist anymore? My point was they do not play on one team, HHS youth league has several 7 & 8 grade teams usually four, five or six and they play against each other. Cooper and Ryle essentially have one or two teams that play other teams.

That's not entirely true. Beechwood and Cov Cath have the Spartans and HHS has the Red Devils which feed them programs. I know several famines that had their kids play for those teams just because they were going to those high schools.

 

Very few kids go to CCH from the Spartan program anymore- The CYF is the primary feeder program. And now that Beechwood has a middle school program, I'm not sure who plays for the 7th/8th Spartan program or where most of hose kids matriculate. For incoming Frosh to CCH, it's probably 90% CYF kids and the rest from a mix of public school programs like Turkeyfoot and a few parochial schools out in Campbell Co.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.