Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boone County Pee Wee

Featured Replies

http://www.unionraidersyf.com/img/13.jpg

 

The pic above is from their 2010 page third one down from the left.

Union Raiders Youth Football

Hmmm...wasn't he #91 and his dad was a coach? Another kid who played in 8th grade that same year, 2010 was Marshall Rich, he no longer plays football.

 

The pic of #91 in that first link is of Chase- Logan's younger brother. Chase will be a Soph this year.

  • Replies 162
  • Views 24.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pic of #91 in that first link is of Chase- Logan's younger brother. Chase will be a Soph this year.

You maybe right, I called them both by the wrong name several times.

You maybe right, I called them both by the wrong name several times.

 

The Union Raiders started with a 6th and 7th grade team. While the Union Raiders have been in existence for 5 years, this senior class was not a part of the Union Raiders. Most either finished with Boone County Pee Wee football or played freshman ball at Ryle.

The Union Raiders started with a 6th and 7th grade team. While the Union Raiders have been in existence for 5 years, this senior class was not a part of the Union Raiders. Most either finished with Boone County Pee Wee football or played freshman ball at Ryle.

 

You are correct.

All these new programs are doing is weakening NKY youth football as a whole. The quality of football has definitely suffered. The two H.S. teams from Union had their best years with players from the BCPWFL with the draft. At the end of the day talent and coaching wins. You can run the same scheme for as long as you want if you dont have the talent it will not make a bit of difference. Colerain and Highlands are not good examples. They both have feeder teams that is true but how many walk-ups do they get based on reputation. I would say quite a few.

All these new programs are doing is weakening NKY youth football as a whole. The quality of football has definitely suffered. The two H.S. teams from Union had their best years with players from the BCPWFL with the draft. At the end of the day talent and coaching wins. You can run the same scheme for as long as you want if you dont have the talent it will not make a bit of difference. Colerain and Highlands are not good examples. They both have feeder teams that is true but how many walk-ups do they get based on reputation. I would say quite a few.

 

Have to disagree with you on this one. More pee wee teams means more kids get playing time and experience. Everybody benefits. Kids who might otherwise never had played are getting experience and a chance to develop. This translates into depth later on and opportunities for late bloomers.

All these new programs are doing is weakening NKY youth football as a whole. The quality of football has definitely suffered. The two H.S. teams from Union had their best years with players from the BCPWFL with the draft. At the end of the day talent and coaching wins. You can run the same scheme for as long as you want if you dont have the talent it will not make a bit of difference. Colerain and Highlands are not good examples. They both have feeder teams that is true but how many walk-ups do they get based on reputation. I would say quite a few.

 

Can't say I agree. Like I said earlier it's about kids having an opportunity to play and learn fundamentals. These additional teams along with most opting to play middle school football once the reach the 7th grade, have weakened the senior programs in the NKYFL and BCPWFL, however as a whole, the 6-11 age groups are still doing pretty well despite lower numbers (and football numbers at the youth level have been going down for some time now). Look at the success SK is having, the improvements Dixie has made, Scott with a strong freshman class etc. All a result of having quality youth programs, and continued development at the middle school level.

All these new programs are doing is weakening NKY youth football as a whole. The quality of football has definitely suffered. The two H.S. teams from Union had their best years with players from the BCPWFL with the draft. At the end of the day talent and coaching wins. You can run the same scheme for as long as you want if you dont have the talent it will not make a bit of difference. Colerain and Highlands are not good examples. They both have feeder teams that is true but how many walk-ups do they get based on reputation. I would say quite a few.

 

I guess I would ask how you define weakening. Compared to what?

 

If your goal is to watch the same 11 players play both ways on a team of 40+ kids get pee wee championships then I would say by all means, reduce the amount of teams.

 

If your goal is to get as many kids playing early and often, and be developed so that once they get to High School they are running on full steam, then we're headed in the right direction with more programs.

I guess I would ask how you define weakening. Compared to what?

 

If your goal is to watch the same 11 players play both ways on a team of 40+ kids get pee wee championships then I would say by all means, reduce the amount of teams.

 

If your goal is to get as many kids playing early and often, and be developed so that once they get to High School they are running on full steam, then we're headed in the right direction with more programs.

I agree with you. How can it possibly be a bad thing to have more teams? More teams means more kids get the opportunity to play, more kids playing means more kids have the opportunity to improve their playing skills by the time they get to High School.

 

Having more teams in pee wee football can do nothing but give more kids the opportunity to play on Saturdays than would have had the opportunity in the past.

In BCPWFL 2/3 's of our kids didn't see action till the 5th Qtr. And it was a running clock. They may have gotten 6 reps in. More teams works out much better for the kids. I would be on the sideline and watch 30 kids just watching the game. That's not developing kids to love the game. 8 and 9 yr old's should get to play. At that age, is winning a Superbowl that important? I guess for the adults it is. That's why they had a draft. I want to coach little johnny peewee superstar, he can help me win a superbowl !!! We would have to rank our players best to last for the next years draft. Kinda sad.

In BCPWFL 2/3 's of our kids didn't see action till the 5th Qtr. And it was a running clock. They may have gotten 6 reps in. More teams is much better for the kids. I would be on the sideline and watch 30 kids just watching the game. That's not developing kids to love the game. 8 and 9 yr old's should get to play. At that age, is winning a Superbowl that important? I guess for the adults it is.

 

I am beginning to believe that a large part of Highlands success is due to the fact they have an entire youth league that feeds into their system. This league , from what I understand, has mandatory playing time.

 

When you look at HHS varsity, from players 1 - 25, they look very beatable. Where they kill you , is players 26 - 60. Their depth is incredible.

 

How do the Union Raiders handle playing time for players that are not ready to contribute immediately?

I am beginning to believe that a large part of Highlands success is due to the fact they have an entire youth league that feeds into their system. This league , from what I understand, has mandatory playing time.

 

When you look at HHS varsity, from players 1 - 25, they look very beatable. Where they kill you , is players 26 - 60. Their depth is incredible.

 

How do the Union Raiders handle playing time for players that are not ready to contribute immediately?

 

My son's team only has about 16-18 kids so they all play. Some more than the others. Can't say about some of the other squads. I think they are more aware of getting kids in but I can't honestly say one way or the other on the execution.

A kid standing on the side line and playing only the 5th qtr is not helping anybody! Himself or his team in the future. Younger kids have to get playing time and if your only goal is to win a Pee Wee Championship you are doing it for the wrong reasons. The goal should be to teach kids fundamentals and get them ready for the high school program. That is the #1 reason why Highlands coach's can shake your hand and show you all the hardware that they sport!!!!!

In BCPWFL 2/3 's of our kids didn't see action till the 5th Qtr. And it was a running clock. They may have gotten 6 reps in. More teams works out much better for the kids. I would be on the sideline and watch 30 kids just watching the game. That's not developing kids to love the game. 8 and 9 yr old's should get to play. At that age, is winning a Superbowl that important? I guess for the adults it is. That's why they had a draft. I want to coach little johnny peewee superstar, he can help me win a superbowl !!! We would have to rank our players best to last for the next years draft. Kinda sad.

The draft was to try and keep all the teams competitive. Also, when the league started all the players were essentially in Florence, so they used that to spread out the players. Being slow to react to the changes is population and where that growth was taking place was not a good thing.

 

Also, the league was once again slow to adjust for a sudden increase in participation about 10-15 years ago or so. Up until then the midgets would have about 30-35 kids total 1-4 grades. Back then the 1-2 graders would play at halftime if both teams had players. I believe now they have actual games for 1, 2, 3, and 4 grades.

My son's team only has about 16-18 kids so they all play. Some more than the others. Can't say about some of the other squads. I think they are more aware of getting kids in but I can't honestly say one way or the other on the execution.

Is that for one grade level(only one team per grade), if so, that seems like a low number of kids that are feeding a 6a school?

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.