Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boone County Pee Wee

Featured Replies

The draft was to try and keep all the teams competitive. Also, when the league started all the players were essentially in Florence, so they used that to spread out the players. Being slow to react to the changes is population and where that growth was taking place was not a good thing.

 

Also, the league was once again slow to adjust for a sudden increase in participation about 10-15 years ago or so. Up until then the midgets would have about 30-35 kids total 1-4 grades. Back then the 1-2 graders would play at halftime if both teams had players. I believe now they have actual games for 1, 2, 3, and 4 grades.

 

This is correct. I was a coach in the BCPFL for a few years and went to many of meetings. I voiced my opinion many of times that the league should divide up to where you live and each grade should have their own teams to maximize playing time. Many of the coaches in the room would not hear of it. One of the higher ranking league associates said it would be too hard to do that kind of thing. It was very frustrating. I stopped going to the meetings after that.

  • Replies 162
  • Views 24.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am beginning to believe that a large part of Highlands success is due to the fact they have an entire youth league that feeds into their system. This league , from what I understand, has mandatory playing time.

 

When you look at HHS varsity, from players 1 - 25, they look very beatable. Where they kill you , is players 26 - 60. Their depth is incredible.

 

How do the Union Raiders handle playing time for players that are not ready to contribute immediately?

 

Not just Highlands but NCC. There are a lot of kids in the league that go to NCC for HS.

Developing the players who play in the 5th quarter is a reach. Chances are most of them don't play varsity or not much.

 

As I said before, middle school programs aren't needed to win in December. Ryle would have two public school titles from the pewee league if such a thing existed. No matter how many players are developed, there going to be out manned by a Trinity or St. X 9/10 times.

Is that for one grade level(only one team per grade), if so, that seems like a low number of kids that are feeding a 6a school?

 

Maybe more will come this week. His age group is the 7th grade team. His age group was small last year too. It's an anomaly, no ther group has been that small. Some Ryle kids may still be in BCPWFL for the seniors. I don't know. The 8th grade team is much bigger but I can't quote numbers. I do know the frosh team is 50 plus.

Developing the players who play in the 5th quarter is a reach. Chances are most of them don't play varsity or not much.

 

I think some of the reason they don't play much varsity is because the play only in the 5th quarter. The usual situation is these are the same kids that get very few reps in practice. Coaches then claim they don't know or understand the game well enough to play in the real game, or that they aren't physically ready. It's a vicious circle. Too many kids standing around, eventually leads to kids giving up the sport. I've seen many kids that weren't a whole lot as 8 year olds, that become pretty good looking 14 year olds. Kids have to get reps in practice and then get opportunities in games. The 5th quarter is a waste of time. It simply gives coaches an out for not playing kids or giving them any attention in practice.

I loved the BCPWFL, but there were problems with it also. The biggest problem I have seen is the number of kids on teams.

 

There were a couple teams (many will know which teams I speak of) that had a coaching staff and head coach that have been there forever. His teams would have a very large number of players on it, for some reason many parents thought his teams were the best and wanted their kids to play for him, although the reality was the 8 years I was in the league I never saw his teams win a championship, but that is neither here or there. The problem however would arise when other teams barely had enough players to form a team.

 

The league was supposed to draft players each year for each team, but what would happen is parents were told by certain coaches that if they wanted their kid to play for his teams then they should not sign up until after the draft or just show up at practice with their kid and he'd take care of the paperwork etc.

 

This would then end up having a team or two with 40-50 players while other teams in the same division would only have 18 players etc. It was so lopsided when it came to the numbers it became a joke many years. always felt bad for some of the teams that would be lucky to even have enough players to play a game on Saturday while other teams would have enough players to have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th string. I never understood why a parent would want their kid playing on a team with 40 kids in the 5th grade just to sit on the bench the entire game when there were other teams that he'd be starting on. I guess it could be because the dad's played for this guy when they were little and want their kids following in their footsteps, I don't know. Never made sense to me.

 

The league itself has always been awesome. That is the main thing I always thought was wrong with the league however. There is no reason that all the teams for each division shouldn't have close to the same number of players.

I loved the BCPWFL' date=' but there were problems with it also. The biggest problem I have seen is the number of kids on teams. There were a couple teams (many will know which teams I speak of) that had a coaching staff and head coach that have been there forever. His teams would have a very large number of players on it, for some reason many parents thought his teams were the best and wanted their kids to play for him, although the reality was the 8 years I was in the league I never saw his teams win a championship, but that is neither here or there. The problem however would arise when other teams barely had enough players to form a team. The league was supposed to draft players each year for each team, but what would happen is parents were told by certain coaches that if they wanted their kid to play for his teams then they should not sign up until after the draft or just show up at practice with their kid and he'd take care of the paperwork etc. This would then end up having a team or two with 40-50 players while other teams in the same division would only have 18 players etc. It was so lopsided when it came to the numbers it became a joke many years. always felt bad for some of the teams that would be lucky to even have enough players to play a game on Saturday while other teams would have enough players to have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th string. I never understood why a parent would want their kid playing on a team with 40 kids in the 5th grade just to sit on the bench the entire game when there were other teams that he'd be starting on. I guess it could be because the dad's played for this guy when they were little and want their kids following in their footsteps, I don't know. Never made sense to me. The league itself has always been awesome. That is the main thing I always thought was wrong with the league however. There is no reason that all the teams for each division shouldn't have close to the same number of players.[/quote']

 

Blackh.. Cough cough.

Don't get me wrong I've said some critical things about the BCPWFL because I want it to be even better. The league and the coaches and the guys I coached with were wonderful and very good to me and my family. I have nothing but love for the coaches and the league. I just want to get the most out of it for the kids. The draft should go bye, bye, if you want to even out the numbers do it randomly, no picking players. The weight limit on skill positions should go bye, bye. Both my kids were big athletic and fast. Both had to play guard and tackle. They now play skill positions. While learning to tackle and block are absolutely and fundamentally necessary. It would have been nice to have them start practicing the skills they now need. limit teams to 30. If you have more, add a team. I understand it's easier said than done when you need a coaching staff, but I'm sure there are some assistants that want to run a team. Most coaches are dads anyway so I'm sure you can get some volunteers. A few tweaks here and there, an open mind, and the BCPWFL can grow and continue to serve of youth and the community. Bring Cooper and Ryles B teams back into the league instead of the NKYFL. Just my humble opinion.

Developing the players who play in the 5th quarter is a reach. Chances are most of them don't play varsity or not much.

 

As I said before, middle school programs aren't needed to win in December. Ryle would have two public school titles from the pewee league if such a thing existed. No matter how many players are developed, there going to be out manned by a Trinity or St. X 9/10 times.

 

I have seen players that were superstars in Pee Wee end up as average players in HS primarily because of middle school maturity advantages. Also, I have seen players that stuck with it and improved enough to be significant varsity contributors. I believe that if a kid embraces the contact and shows competitive drive, there is a lot to work with even if the talent is not yet there.

Don't get me wrong I've said some critical things about the BCPWFL because I want it to be even better. The league and the coaches and the guys I coached with were wonderful and very good to me and my family. I have nothing but love for the coaches and the league. I just want to get the most out of it for the kids. The draft should go bye, bye, if you want to even out the numbers do it randomly, no picking players. The weight limit on skill positions should go bye, bye. Both my kids were big athletic and fast. Both had to play guard and tackle. They now play skill positions. While learning to tackle and block are absolutely and fundamentally necessary. It would have been nice to have them start practicing the skills they now need. limit teams to 30. If you have more, add a team. I understand it's easier said than done when you need a coaching staff, but I'm sure there are some assistants that want to run a team. Most coaches are dads anyway so I'm sure you can get some volunteers. A few tweaks here and there, an open mind, and the BCPWFL can grow and continue to serve of youth and the community. Bring Cooper and Ryles B teams back into the league instead of the NKYFL. Just my humble opinion.

Cooper would be back, except for issues with cheerleading and their Director not wanting to be part of the Boone league and a couple of their rules.

I have seen players that were superstars in Pee Wee end up as average players in HS primarily because of middle school maturity advantages. Also' date=' I have seen players that stuck with it and improved enough to be significant varsity contributors. I believe that if a kid embraces the contact and shows competitive drive, there is a lot to work with even if the talent is not yet there.[/quote']

 

I still believe in my opinion, just one mans that the middle school program is a luxury or bonus. We have seen Boone County teams in state without it. If Highlands can't beat the juggernauts down south, not sure how BC teams can. The extra 5-10% advantage of a middle school program is still over matched in December.

Don't get me wrong I've said some critical things about the BCPWFL because I want it to be even better. The league and the coaches and the guys I coached with were wonderful and very good to me and my family. I have nothing but love for the coaches and the league. I just want to get the most out of it for the kids. The draft should go bye, bye, if you want to even out the numbers do it randomly, no picking players. The weight limit on skill positions should go bye, bye. Both my kids were big athletic and fast. Both had to play guard and tackle. They now play skill positions. While learning to tackle and block are absolutely and fundamentally necessary. It would have been nice to have them start practicing the skills they now need. limit teams to 30. If you have more, add a team. I understand it's easier said than done when you need a coaching staff, but I'm sure there are some assistants that want to run a team. Most coaches are dads anyway so I'm sure you can get some volunteers. A few tweaks here and there, an open mind, and the BCPWFL can grow and continue to serve of youth and the community. Bring Cooper and Ryles B teams back into the league instead of the NKYFL. Just my humble opinion.

No way do you get rid of the weight limit on players in the backfield in 1-6 grade. 7-8 not that big of a deal but I think the limit is now #175.

 

 

Your kids could have played tight end or wr.

 

 

Funny you mention how Ryle has an A and B team but the Boone league should not pick and select players they should do it randomly. Maybe Ryle's A team is 8th graders and the B team is 7th, not sure, if that's the case I guess they are not picking them.

 

I do like how the Senior teams are divided up by high schools, that was over due. So, now what is done the kids moving up from the Juniors are drafted to their feeder high school Senior teams. For example, there are two Senior teams for Boone County and the two teams take turns picking players. For Conner there are three teams for kids to play on. Also, there are some kids that are in the Cooper and Ryle districts that play in the league, I think the Cooper kids usually play on the Conner teams and the Ryle kids play on the Boone teams. They are divided like that for geographical reasons and travel distance to and from practice.

No way do you get rid of the weight limit on players in the backfield in 1-6 grade. 7-8 not that big of a deal but I think the limit is now #175.

 

 

Your kids could have played tight end or wr.

 

 

Funny you mention how Ryle has an A and B team but the Boone league should not pick and select players they should do it randomly. Maybe Ryle's A team is 8th graders and the B team is 7th, not sure, if that's the case I guess they are not picking them.

 

I do like how the Senior teams are divided up by high schools, that was over due. So, now what is done the kids moving up from the Juniors are drafted to their feeder high school Senior teams. For example, there are two Senior teams for Boone County and the two teams take turns picking players. For Conner there are three teams for kids to play on. Also, there are some kids that are in the Cooper and Ryle districts that play in the league, I think the Cooper kids usually play on the Conner teams and the Ryle kids play on the Boone teams. They are divided like that for geographical reasons and travel distance to and from practice.

 

The travel team plays in the KYMSFA "if I got the acronym right" and playing time is not necessarily guaranteed. The B teams is so that they get plenty of playing time and development. The travel team is in the state tournament at the end of the year. If they qualify. That's only the 7th and 8th grade team. More teams means more playing time, thus kids stay and hopefully develop. What's wrong with that?

I think playing in the state tournament is a cool and good experience. But does the state tournament have a bracket for just 7th grade teams, 8th grade teams, and 7th and 8th combined? Or do they only have a 7th and 8th bracket? Do you think it would be more beneficial for Ryle to have a 7th grade team and a separate 8th grade team or to stay with the A and B teams?

The travel team plays in the KYMSFA "if I got the acronym right" and playing time is not necessarily guaranteed. The B teams is so that they get plenty of playing time and development. The travel team is in the state tournament at the end of the year. If they qualify. That's only the 7th and 8th grade team. More teams means more playing time, thus kids stay and hopefully develop. What's wrong with that?

There is absolutely nothing, wrong with that set up. It just seems like it is ok for the Union Raiders to select or divide players up based on ability, but not the Boone teams, you were wanted them to be randomly put together. No big deal.

 

Good luck this year with the Union Raiders and Ryle Raiders!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.