Covington Catholic 6 Beechwood 5

Clyde

LOL. Yes, you are right. It was attitude and "war paint" that caused his issues. Couldn't have been the fact that he was brought in stone cold from CF in a hostile environment by his coach, who should know better. Kid always has and always will have games where he can't find it, he is not a pitcher (but a thrower), but anyone that pays attention to him should know better and give him ample time to warm up and realize what works and what doesn't. He has to know Kyle was running up against his pitch count. Maybe keep him in for the top of the inning and let him throw? Surely there is someone on the bench that can play OF? I was not only about to get kicked out by the ump, but was close to telling the BW coach what a ridiculous position he put Ethan in. Had no issues with the strike zone of the ump, occasionally you run across a guy that simply has no clue how to call balls and strikes and learn to live with it, he probably needs the money. But surely he knows he isn't any good, so at some point drop the attitude.

Or ... could it be that the coach understood how hostile the environment was ... and decided that it would be better (better mentally that is) for Ethan to come straight to the mound and pitch?

If there is anyone who understands the value of a good warm up in any sport ... it is me ... so I definitely understand where you are coming from. At the same time ... every once in a while a coach feels like they need to take a different approach (especially in high pressure situations) ...

Or .. I suppose you could always ask the head coach what his thought process was?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. Yes, you are right. It was attitude and "war paint" that caused his issues. Couldn't have been the fact that he was brought in stone cold from CF in a hostile environment by his coach, who should know better. Kid always has and always will have games where he can't find it, he is not a pitcher (but a thrower), but anyone that pays attention to him should know better and give him ample time to warm up and realize what works and what doesn't. He has to know Kyle was running up against his pitch count. Maybe keep him in for the top of the inning and let him throw? Surely there is someone on the bench that can play OF? I was not only about to get kicked out by the ump, but was close to telling the BW coach what a ridiculous position he put Ethan in. Had no issues with the strike zone of the ump, occasionally you run across a guy that simply has no clue how to call balls and strikes and learn to live with it, he probably needs the money. But surely he knows he isn't any good, so at some point drop the attitude.

While we agree on some points, I think you are dead wrong about the Coach. He knows the players and what they are capable of. Ethan draws a lot of attention and always will, he is going to have to learn to handle it. You can't put that on the Coach. It is the problem you have with having such a Talent, you want him on the field at ALL times. That's high school Ball.

IMO Stringer is a swing and miss pitcher, coming from summer ball tourneys where time limits govern seeding games and hitters trying to make an impression on scouts before they run off to see another prospect. When players take pitches and don't try to win the game on a single swing is where he needs improvement. He is only a sophie, he will learn 83mph low on the corner is better than 88mph high against the backstop. IMO he projects as a corner OF and will be checking Fox sports south in couple years to see him play. The good thing about baseball is the next dose of humble pie is right around the corner, over exuberance on extra base hits only brings bad karma. I also understand Beechwood is a small school and likes the giant killer role which is exciting, but they haven't won anything yet and need to keep the 'discount double check' in their pocket for awhile longer. Also the Cov Cath batters proved they could shrink the strike zone against Dunn, seems as if they did the same against Stringer, got to tip your hat to a well coached offense that makes the pitcher pitch his best.

Build them up and then knock them down, boys. That's what you all are "good" at. They are teenagers with more talent than you or I ever had or will have. Your arguments are not constructive nor are relevant. Beechwood has played two other games since this.... well played game. They lost. Big deal. These boys are going to have great games and not so great games. Every time they lose you going to post about the super sophs or as you now call them "super sophs". I'm sure if they weren't "super sophs" then major colleges wouldn't be handing them full rides. Is that what you are jealous about? Get over it. Win or lose they are fun to watch. So,go watch a game ....or not.

Build them up and then knock them down, boys. That's what you all are "good" at. They are teenagers with more talent than you or I ever had or will have. Your arguments are not constructive nor are relevant. Beechwood has played two other games since this.... well played game. They lost. Big deal. These boys are going to have great games and not so great games. Every time they lose you going to post about the super sophs or as you now call them "super sophs". I'm sure if they weren't "super sophs" then major colleges wouldn't be handing them full rides. Is that what you are jealous about? Get over it. Win or lose they are fun to watch. So,go watch a game ....or not.

Not that serious, one person(s) opinion

I was the one who used "super sophs."

It was a compliment and an easy way to group the rather than naming them individually.

I find it comical how certain people want to praise these kids and put them into this super stratosphere, but when other criticize they take offense, "They are just teenagers". It's life, everyone is criticize when they are good at something or others call them to be "super sophs". Please stop doing the "discount double check"...

I find it comical how certain people want to praise these kids and put them into this super stratosphere, but when other criticize they take offense, "They are just teenagers". It's life, everyone is criticize when they are good at something or others call them to be "super sophs". This won't be the first or last.

I think we can all agree there's a fine line when criticizing. If we're criticizing plays or making judgments on ability then that's fine IMO as misguided as it could potentially be.

IF we start making ad hominem attacks we then have crossed a line.

Criticizing pitching ability or criticizing what one perceives as showboating is fair IMO.

I hope no Tigers (or any other high schoolers) read this site and take it to heart. If you are a Tiger player reading this, just think of it as the comic page in the paper - sit back, read along and enjoy the entertainment. If a comment on here does bother you, talk to a parent or coach about it or stop reading. All of us (well, almost all of us) on here are a bunch of old timers sharing our slanted info and trying to have fun.

Don't be so sensitive. I see nobody "knocking them down". Wrong or right, discussing things and posting opinions is what we do here. I assume its what you do because you are here. You just may be a little too close to these guys. If you come here to read the praise about them, then you better be able to handle reading the criticism as well. It's just how it is in any public forum. Not sure you can call it right, but it's not going to change.

I have watched a couple hundred Beechwood games the past 15 or so years. We have certainly had some great players and great teams, but this one is definitely the most talented team I have seen. I am sensitive to the non-baseball bullcrap. Perhaps overly sensitive, but I can't stand any individual showboating, war paint, etc.. That is just me and my opinion. I can however appreciate the level of talent in these kids. Suchanek, Stringer, Slusher and Combs for sure, but even the supporting cast impresses me. Look at what Rundle and Nussbaum did last night in the All A. The kids are just fun to watch. It's going to be a fun second half of the season and I'm looking forward to it.

You know what I find comical, Rocky? It's funny that nobody uses there real name in here. I found it kinda interesting in the beginning that everyone was using sports references as their moniker, so I did the same. Now I see that its so that you can say whatever you like about anyones kid and hide behind a made up name. You know what else I find comical?.... this whole thread, minus 1 comment about the 5 errors CC had, has been about how overrated BW is. Not one comment about Schriever and how his only contribution was getting hit by a pitch.... or how he struggled against overrated sophomore pitching. Hopefully CC doesn't put the trophy for that game too far back in the case... (steps off soapbox)

Don't be so sensitive. I see nobody "knocking them down". Wrong or right, discussing things and posting opinions is what we do here. I assume its what you do because you are here. You just may be a little too close to these guys. If you come here to read the praise about them, then you better be able to handle reading the criticism as well. It's just how it is in any public forum. Not sure you can call it right, but it's not going to change.

I have watched a couple hundred Beechwood games the past 15 or so years. We have certainly had some great players and great teams, but this one is definitely the most talented team I have seen. I am sensitive to the non-baseball bullcrap. Perhaps overly sensitive, but I can't stand any individual showboating, war paint, etc.. That is just me and my opinion. I can however appreciate the level of talent in these kids. Suchanek, Stringer, Slusher and Combs for sure, but even the supporting cast impresses me. Look at what Rundle and Nussbaum did last night in the All A. The kids are just fun to watch. It's going to be a fun second half of the season and I'm looking forward to it.

Very well put. I agree on the showboating at any level. In the MLB benches empty over it. Barry Sanders, the former Detroit Lions great used to say all the time, "Act like you have been there before." I must say though I did see a few Brossart players last night with eye black / war paint. One was a cross between Ray Lewis and Alice Cooper.

You know what else I find comical?.... this whole thread, minus 1 comment about the 5 errors CC had, has been about how overrated BW is.

If you're going to whine at least do it with facts.

"Minus 1 comment?" Come on.

BW's sophs are always going to be the story this year. Why? They're damn good. They're interesting. They're unusual.

Maybe BGP isn't for you.

You know what I find comical, Rocky? It's funny that nobody uses there real name in here. I found it kinda interesting in the beginning that everyone was using sports references as their moniker, so I did the same. Now I see that its so that you can say whatever you like about anyones kid and hide behind a made up name. You know what else I find comical?.... this whole thread, minus 1 comment about the 5 errors CC had, has been about how overrated BW is. Not one comment about Schriever and how his only contribution was getting hit by a pitch.... or how he struggled against overrated sophomore pitching. Hopefully CC doesn't put the trophy for that game too far back in the case... (steps off soapbox)

You just threw your whole position in the trash with this post. The same complaint you were making about others with Stringer you just did to Schriever. Can you say hypocrite.

Boo woo (wiping tears )...CCH has a few trophys in their case when they have a loss to BW. Still wiping tears...