Covington Catholic 6 Beechwood 5

Clyde

You guys are something else. I hope if young Mr. Stringer reads this he realizes who the audience is here. A bunch of bitter old men who are living vicariously through a bunch of kids. For every young talent, there are three Old Sports Dads telling them how it used to be done "back in the day". Give me a team full of kids with half the passion to play this game and improve, and I will win. I do find it comical no mention of the other 10 BW kids that had eye black on. Paint it up young man. Curious if any of you naysayers even know this kid? I would encourage you to do just that, and try to get past your antiquated bias when you watch him, watch the little things. The hustle. He is the first one out of the dugout to greet a teammate. He is the one hugging the opponent win or lose. So he is not stoic like Braden is. There is a place for both and all. Braden is a magnificent talent who just goes about his game like a silent assassin. That works for him. Ethan likes the swag, someone on here last year compared him to Brady Hightchew. I have been to HS baseball games all year, every team has multiple players committing the dastardly sin of wearing eye black, yet we don't complain or call them out. Why? Because they aren't any good. Bottom line, you guys root for failure. Heck, I know that the LF, 2B, C, 1B, and half the bench had on eye black for BW the other night, yet we don't call them out. For the love of God get off the kids back. If he doesn't something that warrants hostility, pile on. But eye black? Really? That takes away from the team? Puleeez.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are something else. I hope if young Mr. Stringer reads this he realizes who the audience is here. A bunch of bitter old men who are living vicariously through a bunch of kids. For every young talent, there are three Old Sports Dads telling them how it used to be done "back in the day". Give me a team full of kids with half the passion to play this game and improve, and I will win. I do find it comical no mention of the other 10 BW kids that had eye black on. Paint it up young man. Curious if any of you naysayers even know this kid? I would encourage you to do just that, and try to get past your antiquated bias when you watch him, watch the little things. The hustle. He is the first one out of the dugout to greet a teammate. He is the one hugging the opponent win or lose. So he is not stoic like Braden is. There is a place for both and all. Braden is a magnificent talent who just goes about his game like a silent assassin. That works for him. Ethan likes the swag, someone on here last year compared him to Brady Hightchew. I have been to HS baseball games all year, every team has multiple players committing the dastardly sin of wearing eye black, yet we don't complain or call them out. Why? Because they aren't any good. Bottom line, you guys root for failure. Heck, I know that the LF, 2B, C, 1B, and half the bench had on eye black for BW the other night, yet we don't call them out. For the love of God get off the kids back. If he doesn't something that warrants hostility, pile on. But eye black? Really? That takes away from the team? Puleeez.

I could not agree more. Eye black was introduced years ago to reduce glare off of the cheekbones. Recently, manufacturers have introduced eye black tape that is less messy. My point here is millions of athletes wear eye black and it has its purpose. NHLers wear it in outdoor games. Like I said in a previous post the Brossart players were wearing it too even though one looked he was headed for a Kiss concert after the game. Get off the kid's back. Maybe in a couple of years when he gets to Louisville he will be wearing the eye black tape with the Cardinal logo on it. And maybe, just maybe, he saw the ball better when he jacked one the other night to send BW to Lexington.

Build them up and then knock them down, boys. That's what you all are "good" at. They are teenagers with more talent than you or I ever had or will have. Your arguments are not constructive nor are relevant. Beechwood has played two other games since this.... well played game. They lost. Big deal. These boys are going to have great games and not so great games. Every time they lose you going to post about the super sophs or as you now call them "super sophs". I'm sure if they weren't "super sophs" then major colleges wouldn't be handing them full rides. Is that what you are jealous about? Get over it. Win or lose they are fun to watch. So,go watch a game ....or not.
are they getting full rides? Honest question, because baseball D1 players very seldom get full rides due to the limited number if scholarships handed out. They usually divide them up among all the players who aren't walk ons.

are they getting full rides? Honest question, because baseball D1 players very seldom get full rides due to the limited number if scholarships handed out. They usually divide them up among all the players who aren't walk ons.

Even D1 partials go to the best of the best. Whether the scholarships are full or partial had little to do with the context of the post.

Even D1 partials go to the best of the best. Whether the scholarships are full or partial had little to do with the context of the post.

I know that and I wasn't saying anything negative about the post. I'm a BW fan and graduate and former player on that team. Nothing negative about that post I was implying. I was simply asking a question because I didn't truly know and maybe the poster didn't realize that unlike football scholarships, baseball scholarships are usually partial yet he stated they were full rides.

I was simply trying to get clarification.

I know that and I wasn't saying anything negative about the post. I'm a BW fan and graduate and former player on that team. Nothing negative about that post I was implying. I was simply asking a question because I didn't truly know and maybe the poster didn't realize that unlike football scholarships, baseball scholarships are usually partial yet he stated they were full rides.

I was simply trying to get clarification.

I understand. My apologies if I misconstrued what you were asking.

Highly doubtful. A D1 program has 11.7 schollies to divvy up among 27 aid players. Doubt an in state OF warrnets a full one. They normally consist of tuition and books, and then look for academic monies to make up difference. No way a soph will have a clue about academic aid yet.

Highly doubtful. A D1 program has 11.7 schollies to divvy up among 27 aid players. Doubt an in state OF warrnets a full one. They normally consist of tuition and books, and then look for academic monies to make up difference. No way a soph will have a clue about academic aid yet.

That is what I thought.

Thanks for the clarification.

That is what I thought.

Thanks for the clarification.

Even tuition and books may be pushing it quite a bit. It's usually 25% or what ever percentage of scholarship you get will be paid to the total cost of education. Therefore, the player is still on the hook for most of the cost of education. Usually with academic scholarships, financial aid, and kees money. Not as glamorous and most think.

Even tuition and books may be pushing it quite a bit. It's usually 25% or what ever percentage of scholarship you get will be paid to the total cost of education. Therefore, the player is still on the hook for most of the cost of education. Usually with academic scholarships, financial aid, and kees money. Not as glamorous and most think.

That is what I thought. I have heard what usually happens is the scholarships (11 of them) are pretty much divided up among all the players. Unless you are a complete stud or one of the best pitchers around then the scholley's are divided up and the players need to make up the other costs through academic grants etc. and then still have to get aide to cover the rest.

I can't remember how many scholarships each school gets for Football but I think they should be in the same proportion for baseball. Maybe they are, I don't know the numbers, but I always found it sad that there weren't more baseball scholarships allowed.

That is what I thought. I have heard what usually happens is the scholarships (11 of them) are pretty much divided up among all the players. Unless you are a complete stud or one of the best pitchers around then the scholley's are divided up and the players need to make up the other costs through academic grants etc. and then still have to get aide to cover the rest.

I can't remember how many scholarships each school gets for Football but I think they should be in the same proportion for baseball. Maybe they are, I don't know the numbers, but I always found it sad that there weren't more baseball scholarships allowed.

I believe D1 football gets 85. No clue why, my guess is its a Title 9 thing.

I could not agree more. Eye black was introduced years ago to reduce glare off of the cheekbones. Recently, manufacturers have introduced eye black tape that is less messy. My point here is millions of athletes wear eye black and it has its purpose. NHLers wear it in outdoor games. Like I said in a previous post the Brossart players were wearing it too even though one looked he was headed for a Kiss concert after the game. Get off the kid's back. Maybe in a couple of years when he gets to Louisville he will be wearing the eye black tape with the Cardinal logo on it. And maybe, just maybe, he saw the ball better when he jacked one the other night to send BW to Lexington.

Hey, thanks for the history lesson on what Eye Black is. Good Lord, do you think I'm talking about standard eye black? I certainly know many players (probably most) wear eye black. I'm talking about War Paint style. Bryce Harper style!

It's just my opinion. Clearly some disagree with me and that's fine too. I never criticized his abilities or his play in general. He is a stud for sure and while he didn't "bring it" that night, I know what he's capable of. And as someone else said, he is fun to watch and can explode at any time. As he did Thursday night.

Hey, thanks for the history lesson on what Eye Black is. Good Lord, do you think I'm talking about standard eye black? I certainly know many players (probably most) wear eye black. I'm talking about War Paint style. Bryce Harper style!

It's just my opinion. Clearly some disagree with me and that's fine too. I never criticized his abilities or his play in general. He is a stud for sure and while he didn't "bring it" that night, I know what he's capable of. And as someone else said, he is fun to watch and can explode at any time. As he did Thursday night.

Wasn't sure what you were referring to but I am glad you appreciated the history lesson. Next week we will discuss stirrups vs. over the shoe pants.