Covington Catholic 6 Beechwood 5

Clyde

I am curious to what you mean by getting it done done day in and day out. Does that mean winning every game? Who does that in baseball? Getting it done most of the time is what good teams do. Beechwood does that. So does Cov Cath and Dixie and a few others. I think beyond the Big 4 the BW lineup gives you what is expected out of them. I do agree there is a fair amount of hype directed at the sophomores and the team gets tagged with the hype by association. But, when you have numbers like Combs (and others) is putting up this exposure is only natural. BW will win a lot more games than they lose and will be competitive in most every game. IMO, that is consistency.

Beechwood has a terrific team! Well said!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predicted CCH winning this game so it's not a surprise to me at all. I think BW is very similar to their team last year. They are very good but the hype around them is much greater than the reality. They were beatable last year and this year seems to be the same. The big 3 deffinatly bring it but I just don't think the supporting cast is consistent enough to get it done day in and day out.

Everyone is beatable in baseball. Without a doubt the toughest sport to predict a winner in. Anything can happen in one game in baseball.

I am curious to what you mean by getting it done done day in and day out. Does that mean winning every game? Who does that in baseball? Getting it done most of the time is what good teams do. Beechwood does that. So does Cov Cath and Dixie and a few others. I think beyond the Big 4 the BW lineup gives you what is expected out of them. I do agree there is a fair amount of hype directed at the sophomores and the team gets tagged with the hype by association. But, when you have numbers like Combs (and others) is putting up this exposure is only natural. BW will win a lot more games than they lose and will be competitive in most every game. IMO, that is consistency.

I agree with everything you said. I just meant that with all the hype around the big 3, they aren't unbeatable and have lost games last year etc that you wouldn't expect them to lose with all the hype etc. Wasn't a bash at all against BW. Shoot they are my alma matter. I love the Tigers, my cousins boy is one of their coaches, have nothing but love for the boys. I just wasn't surprised they lost to CCH as I predicted.

Now that one I didn't predict.

Did BW sit a lot of starters to give a rest or did WV just have their A game tonight?

Miller pitched for BW v WV. Complete game. 4 hits and 2 earned runs. Beechwood bats may have been suffering from a CCH hangover.

BTW...The game yesterday was a real nice crowd and fun game to watch. I think both teams are capable of much better going forward. Look forward to potential match up(s) between the 2.

I have a Q ?....do coaches in baseball have an option of scratching particular umps similar to basketball and football officials ? Reason is I understand the ump behind the plate in the CCH v BW was supposed to be scratched by BW? It seemed to me he had an obvious bias against BW. No excuse just an observation.

Miller pitched for BW v WV. Complete game. 4 hits and 2 earned runs. Beechwood bats may have been suffering from a CCH hangover.

BTW...The game yesterday was a real nice crowd and fun game to watch. I think both teams are capable of much better going forward. Look forward to potential match up(s) between the 2.

I have a Q ?....do coaches in baseball have an option of scratching particular umps similar to basketball and football officials ? Reason is I understand the ump behind the plate in the CCH v BW was supposed to be scratched by BW? It seemed to me he had an obvious bias against BW. No excuse just an observation.

Yes coaches have that option.

M

What told you he had a bias?

What told you he had a bias?

I was standing behind the plate for entire game. I think just his facial expressions and his tone in communicating with BW staff and players. Nothing really major that would have changed the outcome of the game. Just a vibe I got in watching the game close up. This was prior to me hearing he was scratched by BW.

I will say this....I think he needs to brush up on his skills when it comes to his disposition as an ump in HS. I think it is unacceptable to get into a staring contest with HS players and coaches. This happened multiple times.