Covington Catholic 6 Beechwood 5

Clyde

Wasn't sure what you were referring to but I am glad you appreciated the history lesson. Next week we will discuss stirrups vs. over the shoe pants.

I'm old school so I go with the stirrups......just sayin

I'm so old school that I also go with the wool uniforms that you would lose 5 lbs in sweat during each game and go home with the white sweat stains all over the jersey.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so old school that I also go with the wool uniforms that you would lose 5 lbs in sweat during each game and go home with the white sweat stains all over the jersey.

Hacked

Edited by StringersDad
Hacked

Those babies had felt lettering and numbers which shrunk every time they were washed. A curled up mess by the end of the season.

Other bits of nostalgia:

- skullies worn under the hat in the field

- steel and leather pitching toes that laced over the shoe.

- we used to cut the stirrups and add elastic so they would stretch higher

- white shoe dye so we could be like the A's (before you could buy the shoes in the store)

- wood bats

Some may be older than me but I remember when stirrups changed from the old Astro's type of stirrup to the newer full length ones. They had maybe an inch top that you could hide in your pants leg and could be pulled up to your knee.. Thankfully I was old enough not to live through the whole sock stitched with the stirrup built in.

Good memories...

Some may be older than me but I remember when stirrups changed from the old Astro's type of stirrup to the newer full length ones. They had maybe an inch top that you could hide in your pants leg and could be pulled up to your knee.. Thankfully I was old enough not to live through the whole sock stitched with the stirrup built in.

Good memories...

Speaking of the Astros, when I was playing senior ball in Michigan our team owner thought we would look good in the horizontal Astros stripes. Not. What made it worse is that his color scheme was orange, tan and brown. The only other place you will find that combination is on a changing table. Then, in his infinite wisdom, he made us wear the flat top retro hat that the Pirates donned years ago with the 3 pin stripes all the away around. It's a good thing we had a strong team because we got made fun of relentlessly.