Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If I hear Cal say...

Featured Replies

Another UK fan that just can't stand a little criticism or that somebody ain't on the Cal bandwagon. Wow, who'd a thunk?

 

No, just someone who laughs when people make posts that remove any doubt to their (lack of) knowledge about the game.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You do realize stating a fact isn't complaining right?

 

Not necessarily, I complain I'm too fat all the time. :lol2;

Then don't watch. :lol2: It's clear you hate Cal, so instead of watching and waiting to come up with your next thread bashing any and everything he does, why don't you just watch something else?

 

3) You're right, he just rolls the ball out there. :lol2:

 

I'll never understand for the life of me why people watch things they hate/don't like and then complain like it's their favorite team...

I'll never understand for the life of me why people watch things they hate/don't like.

 

Same here. The fiancé asked me the other day, why do you turn off games your watching (non-UK) before they're over? My answer was simple. Sports are a form of entertainment to me. If I'm not enjoying what I'm watching, I'll find something else that fills that void.

 

Seems like the common sense thing to do to me. :idunno:

They are young- they were freshmen. What is he supposed to say if he genuinely feels that this fact explains the answer to the question asked?

 

I will take exception to the "coach them up" comment- no one in the past five years since Cal has been at UK has done a better job of coaching up his players. In Coach Cal's 5 years at UK, here are the facts:

 

1. UK has reached the Elite 8 in 4 of his 5 seasons

2. UK has been to three Final Fours

3. UK has played in two National title games

4. UK has won one NCAA Championship

5. UK has reached 4 SEC Tournament Championship games

6. UK has won two SEC Tournament Championship games

 

Just saying ;)

Yep, it's a fact. It's also a fact that it's the way he has built his system. it's like a coach who builds his team around guards and small forwards and doesn't have a post presence, then is continually complaining, or using the excuse, or just in general keep saying the team can't rebound or block shots or score in the post because they have no big men. Ok...you built the team that way.

 

If they had to play freshman through attrition...injuries, defections, etc., that's one thing. This is a completely different situation though.

 

And when people ask why this happened or that happened the best answer is....because they are freshmen. He's won a title with freshmen and he's gone to the NIT with freshmen. He's experienced the highs and lows of coaching freshmen. I think he would know more than any of us.

They are young- they were freshmen. What is he supposed to say if he genuinely feels that this fact explains the answer to the question asked?

 

I will take exception to the "coach them up" comment- no one in the past five years since Cal has been at UK has done a better job of coaching up his players. In Coach Cal's 5 years at UK, here are the facts:

 

1. UK has reached the Elite 8 in 4 of his 5 seasons

2. UK has been to three Final Fours

3. UK has played in two National title games

4. UK has won one NCAA Championship

5. UK has reached 4 SEC Tournament Championship games

6. UK has won two SEC Tournament Championship games

 

Just saying ;)

 

Agreed. I don't understand the issue with what he is saying. What he is doing is working...

They are young- they were freshmen. What is he supposed to say if he genuinely feels that this fact explains the answer to the question asked?

 

I will take exception to the "coach them up" comment- no one in the past five years since Cal has been at UK has done a better job of coaching up his players. In Coach Cal's 5 years at UK, here are the facts:

 

1. UK has reached the Elite 8 in 4 of his 5 seasons

2. UK has been to three Final Fours

3. UK has played in two National title games

4. UK has won one NCAA Championship

5. UK has reached 4 SEC Tournament Championship games

6. UK has won two SEC Tournament Championship games

 

Just saying ;)

 

I completely agree with you but too many people (not going to put words on BigVMan's keyboard and say he's one of them) will say that he didn't coach them up, he just recruited them. Which irritates me some, I try not to let it, but Cal is an amazing recruiter, probably the best. With that, he is also a good coach.

  • Author
You do realize stating a fact isn't complaining right?

 

I'm getting old and stiff. Fact. And yes I complain about it.

  • Author

My point about "coaching them up" is...if he has freshman every year that make freshman mistakes and the learning curve is higher for them...then he has to as a coach "coach them up" even more than normal, in less time than the typical situation of having 3 or 4 years with most players. Hence the inherent problem of depending on one and dones every year. Freshman will make freshman mistakes...some of them will make a LOT of mistakes. But if you have a new crop coming in every year that will be playing most all the minutes, that situation has to be overcome quicker.

 

Someone above also posted that's it's evident I "hate Cal". Well, maybe some people can state they "hate" a coach, but you won't hear it from me. I have never said I "hate Cal". I don't now Cal, I can't hate him. He's definitely not my favorite coach, and their are definitely things I don't like about his style, but I don't hate him, I have no reason to. For all I know he might be a great guy to hang out with or to be friends with. Just because I don't root for UK doesn't mean I hate something.

  • Author
No, just someone who laughs when people make posts that remove any doubt to their (lack of) knowledge about the game.

 

Whoops, I forgot. You have UK in your screen name, so you MUST know more about the game. My bad...forgive me for getting out of line.:sorry:

Whoops, I forgot. You have UK in your screen name, so you MUST know more about the game. My bad...forgive me for getting out of line.:sorry:

 

Says the guy who says that Cal doesn't coach up his team and isn't a good coach. How anyone can watch this year's team and make those comments is absurd. So yes, I would absolutely say I know more than you about it, as would about 95% of people who watch basketball.

To me, the point BigVMan is making is that if you are going to recruit 1 and dones, and never get any 4 year guys, this comes with the territory that they are young. Saying "we're young" is like a coach has a bunch of 3 star recruits saying in the post game presser "well, they're more talented than we are." We all know that. Provide some insight.

 

And I think its crap that 'the reporters shouldn't ask the same questions. In large part, it's different questions. Maybe similar. But still. What do you want them to ask? They're reporters! Maybe they should ask him what he had for lunch? Or who his early favorite for the World Series?

 

Being young is a reality. It is a fact. But stop using it as a crutch when you lose.... You didn't lose because you were young, you lost because you made a turnover here or missed a block out there... etc. etc.

 

Being young is a reality. It is a fact. But stop using it as a crutch when you lose.... You didn't lose because you were young, you lost because you made a turnover here or missed a block out there... etc. etc.

 

Aside from the fact that he's said it after pretty much every game, win or lose....

In short... It comes with the territory of recruiting young phenoms. You would gladly take their talent over someone less talented and more experienced...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.