Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

If I hear Cal say...

Featured Replies

My problem is the assumed negative- the "inherent problem" has been dealt with pretty well by Coach Cal; check the facts I listed from my first post. He has "overcome" the "situation" pretty quickly if you judge it by wins and loses and accomplishments.

 

I still reiterate my initial point- if he genuinely believes that the fact that the players are young explains the answer to the question asked then what would you have him say?

 

Exactly. He's also protecting his players IMO.

 

Example:

 

Late game lead, all they have to do is run the clock out (for the most part) and they win. They take a quick shot, end up losing. After the game, they ask Cal about it, his response: "They're young, when you're playing a bunch of young guys this kinda thing happens.". Or the alternative...."I told them to run the clock out. They didn't listen. We win if those guys would listen to me."

 

Cal says the latter and BigV is on here crushing him for throwing his team under the bus. Basically, regardless of what he does, he's going to get criticized by some.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My problem is the assumed negative- the "inherent problem" has been dealt with pretty well by Coach Cal; check the facts I listed from my first post. He has "overcome" the "situation" pretty quickly if you judge it by wins and loses and accomplishments.

 

I still reiterate my initial point- if he genuinely believes that the fact that the players are young explains the answer to the question asked then what would you have him say?

See, that's what we are here for. We can openly gripe about Young not being able to guard you with a gun and a badge, and Poythress not being able to make a jumpshot in a swimming pool, or Randle not being able to dribble with his right hand as if he had a stroke, or the Harrisons shooting layups from 12 feet, or Dakari bending the front of the rim into the shape of a heart on a missed freethrow. See, that's what we are here for, to serve that niche.

 

But the coach of the team deals in day to day reality that these guys are teenagers. And he has to announce it over and over because the media, like us, expects them to act like NBA veterans.

 

But the coach of the team deals in day to day reality that these guys are teenagers. And he has to announce it over and over because the media, like us, expects them to act like NBA veterans.

 

Yep.

 

I think it was one of the Harrisons that earlier this week said something along the lines of, "Everyone thinks all we think and talk about is the NBA and basketball. We're kids. We talk about video games and girls."

  • Author
My problem is the assumed negative- the "inherent problem" has been dealt with pretty well by Coach Cal; check the facts I listed from my first post. He has "overcome" the "situation" pretty quickly if you judge it by wins and loses and accomplishments.

 

I still reiterate my initial point- if he genuinely believes that the fact that the players are young explains the answer to the question asked then what would you have him say?

 

Assumed? But it's not assumed. Having 6 or 7 freshman be your go to guys year after year has it's inherent problems. Because...well, they are freshman. It's just how it is. And I'm not even saying that Cal is wrong in what he's saying. As a matter of fact, he's right...they are just freshman and he has to deal with the problems that brings. I coach basketball. I fully expect my seniors to not do some of the stupid or frustrating stuff my freshman do. BUT, my point is he can't keep going back to that because it's what he has brought about through the way he builds his teams with one's and dones.

 

And there you go UKMF, assuming again. I'd say you might want to stop it cause you aren't very good at it. But that's just me.:idunno:

But the coach of the team deals in day to day reality that these guys are teenagers. And he has to announce it over and over because the media, like us, expects them to act like NBA veterans.

 

This is likely why the questions continue to be asked that require Cal referencing the youth on the court. Expectations are high and the criticism is fierce. Cal gives us some insight into his reality as a coach, IMO.

Assumed? But it's not assumed. Having 6 or 7 freshman be your go to guys year after year has it's inherent problems. Because...well, they are freshman. It's just how it is. And I'm not even saying that Cal is wrong in what he's saying. As a matter of fact, he's right...they are just freshman and he has to deal with the problems that brings. I coach basketball. I fully expect my seniors to not do some of the stupid or frustrating stuff my freshman do. BUT, my point is he can't keep going back to that because it's what he has brought about through the way he builds his teams with one's and dones.

 

And there you go UKMF, assuming again. I'd say you might want to stop it cause you aren't very good at it. But that's just me.:idunno:

 

Every team has challenges- if you define the challenges UK has dealing with one and done players as "inherent problems" then I don't know that any team wouldn't accept UK's "inherent problems" over the last 5 seasons.

 

And I am not UKMF- ironic that you take a swipe at me for assuming as you assume that I am another poster. :sssh:

Assumed? But it's not assumed. Having 6 or 7 freshman be your go to guys year after year has it's inherent problems. Because...well, they are freshman. It's just how it is. And I'm not even saying that Cal is wrong in what he's saying. As a matter of fact, he's right...they are just freshman and he has to deal with the problems that brings. I coach basketball. I fully expect my seniors to not do some of the stupid or frustrating stuff my freshman do. BUT, my point is he can't keep going back to that because it's what he has brought about through the way he builds his teams with one's and dones.

 

And there you go UKMF, assuming again. I'd say you might want to stop it cause you aren't very good at it. But that's just me.:idunno:

 

Not assuming anything. You started a thread not very long ago on here about how Cal throws players under the bus. You're going to criticize him regardless of what he does. You might want to at least do it for legit reasons because you're looking quite foolish.

I think he meant of the 3 mentioned (Teague, Orton, Bledsoe) Bledsoe has been the best.

 

That makes more sense. I was like.....huh?

Huh.......

 

John Wall was an All Star this year and led the Wizards to the playoffs for the first time since MJ left if I am not mistaken.

 

Demarcus Cousins is arguably the best big man in the game.

 

Both are better than Bledsoe at this point.

 

And that Davis kid that is already a top 10 player in the world...

 

I was referring to the 3 originally mentioned as guys that were supposed to stay (Bledsoe, Orton, Teague)... Out of them, Bledsoe is the best pro...

 

Davis nor Wall was expected to be there very long...

Exactly. He's also protecting his players IMO.

 

Example:

 

Late game lead, all they have to do is run the clock out (for the most part) and they win. They take a quick shot, end up losing. After the game, they ask Cal about it, his response: "They're young, when you're playing a bunch of young guys this kinda thing happens.". Or the alternative...."I told them to run the clock out. They didn't listen. We win if those guys would listen to me."

 

Cal says the latter and BigV is on here crushing him for throwing his team under the bus. Basically, regardless of what he does, he's going to get criticized by some.

 

There are many coaches that would say something like "We didn't handle the end of game situation well." or "We had poor shot selection towards the end of the game" instead of "Welp, we're young. That's all there is to it."

 

Contrary to what you are implying, he can tell the story of the game without being negative about it...

 

But the coach of the team deals in day to day reality that these guys are teenagers. And he has to announce it over and over because the media, like us, expects them to act like NBA veterans.

 

How is he preparing them for the NBA if he caudles them. Do you think that if they go round 1 and screw up and lose a game after the game Doc Rivers or Poppovich is going to say "well you guys need to give them a break, they're rookies..."

 

Criticism comes with the territory of being a high level athlete.

How is he preparing them for the NBA if he caudles them. Do you think that if they go round 1 and screw up and lose a game after the game Doc Rivers or Poppovich is going to say "well you guys need to give them a break, they're rookies..."

 

Criticism comes with the territory of being a high level athlete.

 

Pop and Rivers would both say they made a rookie mistake. Same thing.

 

Cal isn't saying give them a break. He's saying they are freshmen.

  • Author
Every team has challenges- if you define the challenges UK has dealing with one and done players as "inherent problems" then I don't know that any team wouldn't accept UK's "inherent problems" over the last 5 seasons.

 

And I am not UKMF- ironic that you take a swipe at me for assuming as you assume that I am another poster. :sssh:

 

I know you're not. I was just replying to something he said in the same post. Didn't mean to confuse. Sorry about that.

  • Author
Not assuming anything. You started a thread not very long ago on here about how Cal throws players under the bus. You're going to criticize him regardless of what he does. You might want to at least do it for legit reasons because you're looking quite foolish.

 

Someone might have started that, but I don't believe that was me but may have commented. With that said, there were times that last year he seemed to blame a lot of the teams problems on Ryan Harrow and didn't give him near the benefit of him being a first year player like he does a lot of the other guys. Of course by age we wasn't a freshman either, but there was plenty of "blame" to go around last year, just not everything on Harrow. That was my take anyway.

Edited by BigVMan23

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.