Digger Phelps announces on ESPN he is leaving ESPN

16thBBall Fan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I love Digger, but I don't hate him either. I'm not from KY, so I apologize if this is common knowledge, but why is Digger so hated around here??

I don't like like him just from the standpoint that he is just too old school for me, and that's saying something.

Love Bobby Knight....can't stand listening to Digger.

Hear that a lot, don't ya? :idunno:

Can't say I love Digger, but I don't hate him either. I'm not from KY, so I apologize if this is common knowledge, but why is Digger so hated around here??

Digger, IMO, was perhaps the worst tourney coach in history and yet comes a cross like he was one of the all time greats. People speak of the talent Dean Smith had but look at Digger Phelp's talent pool: Austin Carr, Adrian Dantley, Orlando Woolridge, Bill Laimbeer, Bill Hanzlick, Kelly Tripuka, and the list goes on and on. Never has a coach done so little with so much.

Give him a one game scenario at home and he was dynamite. (see UCLA 1974) But as a tourney coach he was miserable.

Digger, IMO, was perhaps the worst tourney coach in history and yet comes a cross like he was one of the all time greats. People speak of the talent Dean Smith had but look at Digger Phelp's talent pool: Austin Carr, Adrian Dantley, Orlando Woolridge, Bill Laimbeer, Bill Hanzlick, Kelly Tripuka, and the list goes on and on. Never has a coach done so little with so much.

Give him a one game scenario at home and he was dynamite. (see UCLA 1974) But as a tourney coach he was miserable.

Ok, I get that he might not have been a great coach...there probably more bad coaches out there than good. It just seems like UK fans really hate the guy.

Ok, I get that he might not have been a great coach...there probably more bad coaches out there than good. It just seems like UK fans really hate the guy.

It all goes back to the series in the 70's and 80's. Digger always got the short end of the score and whined about it incessantly. (see above story) He hated Joe B and KY and the feeling was mutual. Believe it or not, from the mid 70's to the early 80's UK's constant non-conference rival and biggest game was vs. Notre Dame in Freedom Hall. A lot of angst and hate was built up during that time.

It all goes back to the series in the 70's and 80's. Digger always got the short end of the score and whined about it incessantly. (see above story) He hated Joe B and KY and the feeling was mutual. Believe it or not, from the mid 70's to the early 80's UK's constant non-conference rival and biggest game was vs. Notre Dame in Freedom Hall. A lot of angst and hate was built up during that time.

I put Digger and Dale Brown in the same category.

Edited by bugatti

I put Digger in Dale Brown in the same category.

Dale was worse IMO. The guy fabricated stuff and was far from classy when LSU was building their program. I never saw Digger call timeout to unfurl a Conference Banner during a win.